Willow TV series

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

I have to admit if you asked me what fantasy's property would see a grand treatment on televisions i would have been stumped for what a company woudl choose. But I think this news that Willow will become a show on Disney+. I bet half the people on this website don't know the movies Willow very well, but I have to say as a teen I though it was great. Its a bit of a slow movie or slower than ist woudl be if made today, but until Peter Jackson's LoftR it was one a few of really good 1980s fantasy movies - Legend, Dark Crystal, Lady Hawk, Dragon Slayer, and Last Unicorn. I'm not even counting the fairly good sword & sorcery movies like Conan or Fire & Ice. Or the python-esque Time Bandits, The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, and Labyrinth.

Crap...I just named a dozen great fantasy movies from the 1980s and I can think of another six! But I stand by my word, Willow was a really sweet little movie. For its time, Willow was a good fantasy movie. The effects look a little dated now (especially the two-headed monster in teh moat, but it as a whole was satisfying.

It occurs to me that aside from Top Gun Maverick I would like to see Tom Cruise reprise his role as "Jack o' the Green" and Mia Sara as Lili in Legend. Holy crap, Dark Lili had a profound impression in me at age 16...

No Caption Provided
redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By redwing42

I had a friend growing up who was obsessed with the movie, and I remember enjoying it quite a bit myself. I think the last time I watched it was on VHS, so my memories could be painting a rosy picture of it. I feel like there could be some decent lore/backstory that could be mined for a short run series. I was ultimately disappointed with the Dark Crystal prelude, though, as it got too far away from what the original was, and this could go down the same track.

That Willow game on NES was HARD, though. Woof.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I just rewatched Willow with my partner a couple weeks ago and still really enjoyed it. I'm cautiously optimistic with the new series but I'm worried it'll rely too heavily on cgi like all the other recent d+ series.

As for Legend, that is my #1 80's fantasy movie and the idea of doing more of that without Tim Curry involved seems wrong. I think the rest of the cast can be redone and retold, but the Darkness must return.

El_Blarfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By El_Blarfo

I like Willow the movie well enough, but the series trailer looks awfully generic. Standard fantasy boilerplate about light and darkness in balance, plucky young heroes etc. etc.

It might turn out to be terrific for all I know, but there's not much in that trailer to go on.

Also: I came up with lyrics to the Willow theme when I watched it on a lazy Sunday back in my teens. *Ahem.*

Hey it's Willow!

There goes Willow!

Check it out, look at him, that guy's Willow!

(Repeat endlessly.)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

It's bizarre they would make a Willow TV show over the dozens upon dozens of other fantasy properties out that just ripe for adaptation.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By AV_Gamer

The Willow movie was okay, and the movie low key it had one of the best video game adaptions both on the NES and the Arcade. So I'd check out a TV Series, especially if its a sequel or prequel to the film.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@el_blarfo:

I played the Willow theme and tried to sing the lyrics, but I couldn’t make it work. Do I come in right when the music starts or do I wait a certain amount of time?

Also, Willow rules. One time my daughter picked up an acorn and threw it at another kid and I said “no, you’ll turn him to stone” and like one guy got it.