Any Cornette fans here?

Davimilton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hi, new here. I was just wondering if there were any other Cornette fans here? Is there a thread or section where we can just shoot the shit? If not I wouldn't mind making a discord server where we could talk some NWA, cuckolding, and shit on All Geek Wrestling. Who's in?

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This thread reads like a parody of 4chan

brian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for davesavedtheday
davesavedtheday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I came in here to say we should ban any Cornette fans, but, maybe there are some people who do want to talk about wrestling and cuckolding, ya know?

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Never did like him as a manager. I mean you werent supposed to but as a worker he didnt do it for me at all.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is incredibly annoying and tedious.

Jacobian360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I'm super bored I'll throw him on and listen to him yell the same stories again and again lol. Then the weird situation with his wife was exposed recently and I've been kind of eeh on him.

Guy knows a ton about old school wrestling and has a few great stories from behind the scenes but if you've listened to a lot of his main stories. He just repeats them again and again.

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think his obsessive hatred of Vince Russo is one of the funniest things I've ever seen

Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

He's extremely homophobic and racist especially against AEW Women's Champ Hikaru Shida. His idea of good wrestling was outdated in the mid 90's when he ran Smokey Mountain Wrestling and even more so now. On the Brawl 4 All episode of Dark Side of the Ring he somehow managed to come off worse than Vince Russo. How is that possible?

If he dropped dead I would not mourn his death because the world of pro wrestling discourse became slightly less hateful.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@not_a_bumblebee: I didn't even know who the dude was but holy boy yeah he somehow sounded like a MASSIVE piece of shit in that episode.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode said:

@not_a_bumblebee: I didn't even know who the dude was but holy boy yeah he somehow sounded like a MASSIVE piece of shit in that episode.

and the amazing thing is the guy is running WWE right now lol. The most out of touch old buffoon.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I'm super bored I'll throw him on and listen to him yell the same stories again and again lol. Then the weird situation with his wife was exposed recently and I've been kind of eeh on him.

Guy knows a ton about old school wrestling and has a few great stories from behind the scenes but if you've listened to a lot of his main stories. He just repeats them again and again.

I'm in this boat. Sometimes he drops some decent knowledge about current events but he's also very much a product of that time in wrestling.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

I do find it amusing when he mindlessly rants about Vince Russo.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah... this thread kind of sums up a lot of my issues with wrestling and why I am currently on a(nother) break.

Someone who is racist, homophobic, and sexist even by carnie standards. But he has some really "great" insights so obviously we need to keep listening and overlook that. And most people would rather just dunk on he and his wife being kinky more than anything else.

Shit like this is why we constantly have folk trying to redeem Hogan and Warrior and Flair (who is somehow STILL almost universally loved even though many of his best "stories" involve sexual assault bordering on rape) and even a growing movement to "remember the good times" of a murderer. And why I give it less than a year until Marty Scurl's redemption arc (Joey Ryan sued too many people, give him two or three).

bchampnd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm a fan but can only take him in small doses unless he's doing a deep dive on a particular wrestling topic I find interesting. The clips posted on YouTube are a great way to consume his content since the podcasts can get pretty longwinded and into topics that might not be of much interest to you.

If you're of a certain age, then you can really appreciate his knowledge and perspective on wrestling and the business around it. If you're younger or like a more modern style of wrestling/booking, you're not going to like his takes. He's very in tune with what made wrestling work back when it was a big deal. He's big on details, believability and logic so all of the acrobatics and lucha style and things that look cool but require too much orchestration (e.g., multiple people grouping up to catch someone doing a dive to the outside) drive him crazy. He basically likes a big man, this is a serious fight style and wants you to genuinely believe that the people in that ring would beat you up. I think promotions would benefit from having him around as a consultant to sanity check them and tell them when something is too stupid but I don't think anyone should give him full control at this point since the industry has progressed since the 80s and 90s.

It's hard to discuss him at this point without getting into his politics but I'll just say that his politics don't interest me too much (I'm a stick to your lane kind of person and don't listen to wrestling podcasts for political commentary just like I don't go to CNN/Fox News for wrestling takes). For people who don't really listen to him, I think they'd be surprised to find out he's pretty far left - the Louisville accent, affinity for his pickup truck, "Black Beauty," and some other quirks could make you think he's a Trump supporter rather than the Trump hater he is. I think his cohost lets Jim go down the political rabbit holes because it gets Jim really fired up and removes whatever filter he may have had for when they get to the wrestling discussion. And Jim speaking unfiltered about wrestling and the business is when he's at his best.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to trace my great grandmother's line of the family some time as Jim once said his heritage was made up of Cornettes and Criggers, and I have both on my mother's side of the family with the Cornettes marrying in. I could be distantly related to the guy.

Alias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wmoyer83: Cornette sent then-TNA official Terry Taylor an email in which he said: "I want Vince Russo to die. If I could figure out a way to murder him without going to prison, I would consider it the greatest accomplishment of my life."

CurseOfTheWise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By CurseOfTheWise

He's the head of the "calls everyone else too sensitive, and also blocks people for disagreeing with him."

Hell, he and Brian Zane had a great little friendship/running cameo joke that he threw away because Brian dared to disagree with one of his shitty takes. Wow, yeah, the vanguard of the thick-skinned.

@gundato said:

Yeah... this thread kind of sums up a lot of my issues with wrestling and why I am currently on a(nother) break.

Someone who is racist, homophobic, and sexist even by carnie standards. But he has some really "great" insights so obviously we need to keep listening and overlook that. And most people would rather just dunk on he and his wife being kinky more than anything else.

Shit like this is why we constantly have folk trying to redeem Hogan and Warrior and Flair (who is somehow STILL almost universally loved even though many of his best "stories" involve sexual assault bordering on rape) and even a growing movement to "remember the good times" of a murderer. And why I give it less than a year until Marty Scurl's redemption arc (Joey Ryan sued too many people, give him two or three).

This exactly.

He made a joke about "fried chicken in Ethopia" and somehow we weren't supposed to be angry with him "because it's not racist, it's just making fun of mass-famine."

Great. Yeah. Hilarious.

He's wrestling's Bill Maher: sometimes funny and insightful, but not nearly as smart as he thinks he is, and WAY more racist/misogynist than he presents as.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yes. I like the classic one, but I’ll have the mint one once in a while as well.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoy how annoyed he gets when women wrestlers get pregnant.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig: He hates kids, he's a misogynist, he ran two wrestling promotions on shoestring budgets so he strongly identifies with management, and he takes wrestling way too seriously.

It's like a perfect storm.