Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Nov 21, 2013

The final game in Lightning's story arc in the Final Fantasy XIII universe.

Show us your Lightning

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By donchipotle

Since this game has a screenshot feature and is actually about playing dress up and NOT saving the world or whatever, I thought it'd be neat to share and show off our Lightning schemata. So we can have all the best fashion tips and how to look the best for the end of the world. You only have 13 days, you may as well look good.

No Caption Provided

I'm currently rocking this suit with the Buster Sword. The suit boosts physical attack and comes with blitz, so I'm in Yusnan where there are enemies that group in threes and this is wrecking house. Plus, it's stylish. The sunglasses complete the whole 'bodyguard for the President' look.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

@donchipotle: Hmm. I've only played two hours so far but once I get further in I'll take some screenshots for sure! Right now rocking the Tomb Raider and Yuna (FFX) costumes. The Yuna outfit I got from Amazon is GREAT holy shit this Elementa spell that outfit has is a fucking blender of death for enemies weak to magic.

Edit: 13,000 posts! Woo~!

doogiemac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Ha! I'm rocking the same outfit as you, @donchipotle - down to the sword and glasses - except I've got the Cloud outfit's armband instead of a shield.

darklight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By darklight

Awww, I really wish I would have paid more attention to the release date of this game. I bought it on PSN the day of the release and I kinda regret not doing it sooner now to get the Cloud Strife garb. Now there's no way of getting it. :(

Did not take any chance and bought Dark Soul 2 right away.

Anyway, this is kinda off topic. I'm just jealous of people rocking Cloud buster sword in other garb... :P

I'll play a bunch this weekend and try to show something off.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darklight: Oh, don't worry I'm sure they will jump at the chance to sell it to you later.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ha! I'm rocking the same outfit as you, @donchipotle - down to the sword and glasses - except I've got the Cloud outfit's armband instead of a shield.

I put on the X-2 shield because it boosted my attack up some. I'm all about stabbing things and I need my numbers to reflect this.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

I really like Lighting's design, but man some of those suits on her make her head look bigger then her torso. It's vertical lines, that's what it is.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here we go as promised my newest look. Man. I'm so goddamn in love with this game you guys.

No Caption Provided

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bigjeffrey

Her Head is REALLLY BIG

No Caption Provided

My favorite outfit.

No Caption Provided

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#11  Edited By StarvingGamer
    bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dapper Lightning

No Caption Provided

Lightning in a Dress

No Caption Provided

Shades = badass

No Caption Provided

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By BisonHero

This game is fucking weird.

...Continue.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't feel like putting in the effort to get a screenshot right now, but all I'm gonna say is if you give me the option to put aviators on a character, I'm GOING to put aviators on a character.

Also, I can't be the only one using the Cloud costume to spend to the time to make it look like in-game polygon Cloud color-wise right?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By bigjeffrey

I found out you can use custom colors after all this time, i wondered why there were 2 columns for the colors.

LIGHTING SNAP DUMP

SO dumb
    SO dumb
    PINK!!
    PINK!!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OK, I'm back.

Open question to GB users who are actually into fashion: what do you think of these outfits? Are they super uggo, or are some of them appealing in their...ingenuity? I ask because whenever I'm around women talking about whether so-and-so's outfit looks good or not, I have literally no concept of the criteria they are using to judge said outfits by, because apparently my dick does all the judging when it comes to female outfits. So I have no idea. I'm a terrible person.

But every outfit in Lightning returns that is basically lingerie, or the outfits where Lightning is wearing some kind of microskirt with a g-string riding way above her hip, all seem super trashy. At least to me. Maybe they're really clever on an aesthetic level? I guess she does wear pants and leggings and full-on dresses in a lot of the outfits, but man, if you want to stare at Lightning's thighs for 20 hours, it seems like they've got you covered.

Can you make her look like 1985 Marty McFly? Or Doc Brown from the future, with his hilarious mirrored shades? I got my hopes up when I saw this image of Lightning from a trailer:

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I feel like that trailer made her seem like some sort of time travel Batman, and for a second I was almost interested in the game, despite having not played the first two and having no investment in the trilogy.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By Hailinel

@bisonhero said:

OK, I'm back.

Open question to GB users who are actually into fashion: what do you think of these outfits? Are they super uggo, or are some of them appealing in their...ingenuity? I ask because whenever I'm around women talking about whether so-and-so's outfit looks good or not, I have literally no concept of the criteria they are using to judge said outfits by, because apparently my dick does all the judging when it comes to female outfits. So I have no idea. I'm a terrible person.

But every outfit in Lightning returns that is basically lingerie, or the outfits where Lightning is wearing some kind of microskirt with a g-string riding way above her hip, all seem super trashy. At least to me. Maybe they're really clever on an aesthetic level? I guess she does wear pants and leggings and full-on dresses in a lot of the outfits, but man, if you want to stare at Lightning's thighs for 20 hours, it seems like they've got you covered.

Can you make her look like 1985 Marty McFly? Or Doc Brown from the future, with his hilarious mirrored shades? I got my hopes up when I saw this image of Lightning from a trailer:

I feel like that trailer made her seem like some sort of time travel Batman, and for a second I was almost interested in the game, despite having not played the first two and having no investment in the trilogy.

Well, here's the thing. The outfits aren't all of one style or another. There's over eighty of them in the game and they run the gamut from samurai armor to slinky dresses to Final Fantasy classes. I've currently got Lightning rolling in the Art of War samurai costume, the Summoner of Spira (FFX Yuna) costume, and a classic Red Mage outfit (still need to find the sweet hat). Once you've purchased or unlocked some new garbs beyond the starting defaults, there's really no requirement that you use any specific outfit. It's all about functionality and form. Ideally, you want to find a good line-up of costumes that A) compliment your strategy and B) are aesthetically appealing to you. So if you don't want to run around with Lightning wearing a barely-there dress, there's no requirement for that.

In addition to the costumes, each schemata allows for two accessories; one that affects stats (defense bands, etc.), and another that is purely for aesthetics (sunglasses, hats, pendants, etc.) You can also customize the colors of the costumes to a limited degree. There's a lot of variety to it, and I'd be utterly shocked if you played through the game from start to finish and didn't somehow find a line-up of costumes you would approve of.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bigjeffrey

More lighting (some accessories are dumb) VERY

YES IT ACTUALLY SPINS
    YES IT ACTUALLY SPINS

A FRYING PAN, IT JUST SITS THERE
    A FRYING PAN, IT JUST SITS THERE
    No Caption Provided

Literally a umbrella
    Literally a umbrella
    Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Man do the graphics look this poor in-game too or does it look fine in motion? I ain't no PC graphics snob, but these screens look a bit rough.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: It does look less polished than the previous two XIII's.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@humanity: It does look less polished than the previous two XIII's.

I do remember XIII even on 360 looking a bit better than a lot of these. Specifically Lightning's face looks like a texture out of place on a low quality character model.

lilyWhite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Outerworld service doesn't save images at a particularly high quality. (There's a good reason why my three most hated letters of the English alphabet are J, P, and G.)

OK, I'm back.

I'm a woman (though I am into women), and when I look at, say, Watery Chorus, I don't think, "Oooh, cleavage, heheheheheheheheh." I think, "Oooh, that has a nice tropical/exotic look to it, just think of how it would look in other colours! =^_^=" Heck, even Nightmare just had me wondering if there was a good pair of wings so I could stroll along cosplaying a succubus.

There certainly are stylistic/aesthetic merits to many of the outfits, even the more revealing ones.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Petiew

@humanity said:

Man do the graphics look this poor in-game too or does it look fine in motion? I ain't no PC graphics snob, but these screens look a bit rough.

Yeah XIII-2 and Lightning Returns definitely don't look as pretty and run as well as XIII. Most of the quest dialogue happens in engine as well, so you have random NPCs humping up against Lightning while the camera pans to a mass of really awful looking pixel bushes that are hiding the guy she's talking to.

Running through trees on your chocobo is a harowing experience.

It's not nearly as bad as the screenshots often make it look though.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So i just unlocked this outfit [it's called Dark Knight], I think this was the longest mission in the entire game since it takes multiple days to complete.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Steadying

@bigjeffrey: Wow, that looks awesome. Aw man, apparently you can only get that if you read the dude's journal. Guess I won't be getting it D:

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By musubi

@bigjeffrey: Wow, that looks awesome. Aw man, apparently you can only get that if you read the dude's journal. Guess I won't be getting it D:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I thought I did the right thing and didn't read it. Oh well... I'm going to be playing this through at least twice anyways. So I guess I'll get it on my NG+

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petiew said:

@humanity said:

Yeah XIII-2 and Lightning Returns definitely don't look as pretty and run as well as XIII. Most of the quest dialogue happens in engine as well, so you have random NPCs humping up against Lightning while the camera pans to a mass of really awful looking pixel bushes that are hiding the guy she's talking to.

Running through trees on your chocobo is a harowing experience.

It's not nearly as bad as the screenshots often make it look though.

Yeah these screens are horribly compressed and doesn't really show off the game very well. Its still a pretty good looking game but these compressed screen shots do it no justice.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Steadying

@demoskinos: Lol, same. It's like the game is rewarding you for looking through other people's things D:<

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos: Lol, same. It's like the game is rewarding you for looking through other people's things D:<

Well I broke down and in a bleary probably series of poor decisions at 3am ordered the Hardback Strategy Guide. So my 2nd play through I'll be able to really optimize. Then again I'm almost thinking you might have to play through three times to beat this one boss. There is a optional boss in the Dunes that looks real mean. He has like 10 million HP.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Steadying

@demoskinos: I attacked a wind sphere looking thing in the desert and it turned out to be a giant dragon thing. I assume that's what you're talking about. :P

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

What do you mean, director? Are you saying this outfit isn't suited for the stage?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys, this game keeps getting dumber and dumber. Lightning wearing a lightning mask. I don't even.

No Caption Provided

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

Guys, this game keeps getting dumber and dumber. Lightning wearing a lightning mask. I don't even.

No Caption Provided

Alright, done, sold. This game is the kind of dumb I can support.

MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LIGHTING SNAP DUMP

I should start saying this when I run to the bathroom.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By bigjeffrey

Rocking a new game + outfits. Spoliers NG+ is filled with new dresses.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Bonus Screen

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.