Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 5

Platform »

Sony's fifth PlayStation console launched on November 12, 2020 with two models: a standard edition with a disk drive and a digital edition without.

Sony automatically suspends new child accounts on PS5

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

A while back, Vinny talked about how he accidentally got his daughter’s PSN account suspended. Outside of mentioning how he eventually got it unsuspended, I don’t recall him discussing this situation further. From personal experience, I can say that Vinny didn’t get his daughter’s account suspended. It was due to a terrible policy that Sony has.

I finally was able to get my nieces and nephew a PS5. Since my sister is completely tech illiterate, I had it delivered to me, so I can set it up for her. That was both a good and bad decision.

It’s already ridiculous that Sony requires an email address for each child. We went through the process of setting up a separate gmail account for 13-, 11-, and 8-year-old kids, since it seemed the parent+child@gmail.com format didn’t appear to work at first.

The first kid’s PSN account could be created, but then Sony requires you to put in a credit card to be charged 50 cents for other kids. I do that, create the other two accounts through their “family management“ portal. Then when I added them to the PS5, they were automatically suspended with no explanation, not even an email.

After a failed attempt using AskPlaystation’s Twitter account, their bad support bot, I managed to force a live chat and get a phone number to call. It turns out it’s their policy to automatically suspend additional child accounts on PS5. They claimed it was for security reasons, but digging around online, it looks like their real reason is to prevent people from sharing the PS+ collection PS5 owners get with others.

So far I’ve been waiting 20 days for them to unsuspend their accounts, so I can finish setting up this PS5.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.