Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sega

Company »

Sega is a long-running Japanese company responsible for arcade hits like Space Harrier, home consoles like the Dreamcast, and franchises such as Sonic the Hedgehog.

What Sega need to do

thefreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By thefreed

Make another Jet grind radio game.
    Make a join effort with Yu Suzuki to release Shenmue 3
    Try to release all their yakuza or similar games in US/UK while also being bold.
    Do more original things, Sega needs more AAA games to stay in the game while still being strong.

thefreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By thefreed

Make another Jet grind radio game.
    Make a join effort with Yu Suzuki to release Shenmue 3
    Try to release all their yakuza or similar games in US/UK while also being bold.
    Do more original things, Sega needs more AAA games to stay in the game while still being strong.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By fripplebubby
    @thefreed said:
    " Make another Jet grind radio game. "  
    YES 

@thefreed said:
    "  Make a join effort with Yu Suzuki to release Shenmue 3 "
    NO 

@thefreed said:
    "  Try to release all their yakuza or similar games in US/UK while also being bold. "
    HELLZ NO 

@thefreed said:
    "  Do more original things, Sega needs more AAA games to stay in the game while still being strong. "
    Well that one is kind of a given, so YES
    Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Hot_Karl
    @thefreed: I agree with all of your sentiments, but the Sega of today isn't the same Sega of yesteryear, the guys what brought you all the classic games of the Saturn/Dreamcast days. I would only hope that Sega would turn around and see how things have turned out poorly for them in the past decade or so. I mean, if EA went from the infamous soul-sucking publisher/developer to the company that brought you interesting, fresh, new games like Dead Space and Boom Blox, what's there to say that Sega can't get out of their slump?
    Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Cube

Sega should do whatever it wants.

Fans are too self-entitled.

thefreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thefreed

Yeah I get what your all saying, one of the reasons why I wrote this blog in the first place was because Sega used to make so much games that I thought was appealing and now a days they barely do anything.
    Even though they released yakuza 3 in the US, they did it half-assed, and I felt that if they took proper time with it, while also being bold about what kind of game it is (Being a yakuza, with a lot of non-kid friendly elements to it) then I thought it had a real chance at the US market place because everyone likes GTA styled sand-boxed game. (and the combat is good too)

As a fan of Shenmue (which was one of my first games I ever finished) and having played shenmue 2... I felt that they should do all they can to release shenmue 3 if it's already made.

Anyways I just don't like the kind of direction Sega is going... they need more diverse games.
    I think Sega is trying to protect that image they had in the yester year, but that is bound to fail because all of their triple A games ( or games that they're putting effort in) is the Yakuza series or games that they aren't releasing in the U.S.

hmmm it seems like sega is going even more downhill even after what happened to Sega Dreamcast and such...

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By MikkaQ

None of those sounds like it would gain any western appeal. Shenmue's too old now, for a third chapter. Yakuza games are really weak compared to most sandbox games, japanese developers still haven't nailed the concept of sandbox, and at this point should probably give up.  

A new Jet Set game could have appeal, but they can't market it like a real sequel or anything, because not enough people know about it.  

Sega needs to smarten up and gain more western appeal without looking silly like they do now. Capcom's been a lot smarter about this kinda stuff. They look waay less out of touch with america than sega.

thefreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By thefreed
    @XII_Sniper: you know what your right.
    I don't think those games would really make an impact on the Western Market...
    but most Japanese "Japanese" types of games wouldn't...
    I guess those games are what I WANT, but wouldn't necessarily mean good for Sega. (Atleast not financially... maybe Critically?)

But I disagree about the "concept of sandbox" thing... though they're sandboxes aren't quite up to par as the GTA series... or other kind of triple A sandbox games... but they're coming along quite nicely, and in the near future who knows? they might make a good rpg/sandbox combination and revitalize the jrpg market >_>
    thothough I doubt that
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Godwind

I think they need to make some new hardware.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By MikkaQ
    @thefreed: Well those "Japanese" Japanese games... never do quite well here. Their game design philosophies aren't evolving alongside western design, so there's a disconnect, and to me, a lot of Japanese games feel a little dated comparatively. That's why I was saying Capcom was being smart, they're at least trying to get a good foothold with western gamers, and they seem to be adapting a bit to the current western style. Hiring western devs for example was a pretty smart choice.  

Sega kinda looks like they attempt this on occasion, but it feels waay more out of touch. My problem is Sega's dug themselves into a deep-ass hole here, they're in a weird position. Their chief mascot is completely irrelevant and it feels like they're beginning to realize it, a lot of their games are bombing, they don't have a console to call home, basically the Dreamcast was the slippery slope for them, and It's hard for me to realistically say what Sega could do to put them back on top. The golden age is done, that's for sure. 
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By animateria

Sega should stop trying to act like they got even a speck of soul.

Go with your best selling franchise and just print em out!

Which is sadly, Sonic the Hedgehog................ But who cares?! 

He's already been used and abused beyond death, another beating won't hurt him much.

thefreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By thefreed

lol Anima 

@XII_Sniper:

Yeah I agree some of their games just don't feel like "Current" gen games...
    I mean I always thought that if we improved on the technology and went "next gen" then the gaming should improve too. (I also feel like content is significant in making a game feel fresh and "next gen")
    Just like it did when we got dreamcast after... um whatever.
    Many Japanese games are just bringing the same ol same ol while just slightly improving on graphics... Well Western developers do this too... but seriously not many Japanese games are taking chances with new ideas.
    I mean they think the jrpgs well work because it worked in the past, but it's just become stale now because they've used the same story and same character designs over MILLIONS of times, and the turn based rpg is too simple and slow paced for today's gamers.

Yeah sega really feels out of touch... I mean I don't know what the heck they're doing, but their strategy to become like a second nintendo is not working... and never will. (I presume that's their strategy looking at the types of games they're releasing in US).
    I just don't think they're making games for the hard-core crowd anymore... they're trying to save their hides by going after the casual market nintendo amassed >_>.
    I don't really think I respect Sega anymore like I used to... ahh back in the days where Sega used to make GOOD games... oh how I miss thee

Sega needs to be more like Rockstar of Japan...
    And maybe I should make a blog about what Japanese Game developers needs to do O_O hmm...
    thefreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By thefreed
    @VinceNotVance: Your definitely right, but for that to work their has to be serious change in the minds of Sega and I don't really see that happening any time soon >_>.
    Maybe they need to fail miserably for a couple more years to learn and get back on track lol :P.
    @Godwind:
    If that means more Sega games like yester year's then yeah I am all for that. Kinda think they'll fail badly though >_>.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.