Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

I played all of Persona 4. (Review)

FCDRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Edited By FCDRandy

I don't remember JRPGs being like this. When I was a kid in a family of meager means, a new Squaresoft game was the perfect companion to a long unsupervised summer while my parents were off at work. Most games would take a day or a weekend to beat, with frenetic gameplay and complex art, but it would be over soon and I would need a new game. There would be no story of note to remember, only the sequence of inputs and logical steps to achieve victory, and my only option was to play it again or hope I could find something cheap after trade-in at Funco Land. Final Fantasy 2 was the perfect solution to this problem. Instead of jamming buttons non-stop for half a dozen hours, I was on a grand adventure that lasted weeks. I met pirates and ninjas and wizards, and we all came together to save the world. I couldn't tell you today the story of Final Fantasy 2, but my experience wandering from castles to mountains to the moon with Kain Dragoon - I thought the classes were last names until the game told me otherwise - is an experience games have yet to recreate. I was hooked on JRPGs. Every summer through my high school graduation when I wasn't working or chasing girls or smoking weed, I would find a JRPG to sink a hundred hours into.

Then, I inexplicably lost the bug. It may have been dealing with limited time (although I managed to play 10 hours a day of EverQuest), a series of bad buying decisions (Hoshigami: Ruining Blue Earth?), or simply a change in my personality, but JRPGs didn't do it for me anymore. On August 2, 2013, I gathered all the equipment to run a live stream (PS2, microphone, capture hardware, webcam) and set out to play Persona 4 and document the process. I was determined to play a JRPG to completion and see if the poor fat kid sitting cross-legged on the living room carpet was still there. It was great. Persona 4 is great. But the JRPGs of my youth were never like that. They were never so local, so personal, or so serious. Sure, you were always defending the very existence of the world from a Big Evil of Prophecy, but there was always something whimsical about your journey. Your victory was always inevitable. You knew it, the population knew it, even your enemy knew it.

Persona 4 isn't like that. The fate of the world is not in your hands. In most ways, telling the story of Persona 4 sounds like reciting the plot of a bad TV movie heavily inspired by Cronenberg or Lynch, or a worse game created by a too-ambitious amateur. You're the new kid, there's a serial murderer loose in this small town, and your band of high school detectives are the only ones who can stop them. It sounds silly, but the strength of the character writing is what makes Persona 4 a great game.

All of the people you meet in Persona 4 are real. They're the same sympathetic, selfish, foolish people you know in your personal lives. They worry about their work, friends, and the future. They get excited about bad movies, vacations, and the chance to be heroes. Some of them are good people turned bad by neglect or rejection, and some are bad people turned good by affection and attention. This is what sets Persona 4 apart from other games, including other JRPGs - the characters.

The story and gameplay hooks in Persona 4 are not especially compelling. Your group shares a kind of supernatural connection and leverages that to solve a series of murders that persist throughout the game, and you do so via monster hunting and turn-based menu battles - it's all the most standard of JRPG fare. As the story progresses and characters develop, the magic of Persona 4 becomes apparent - you see your friends grow in a way that most games never approach. Yosuke discovers that adulthood is not something to be feared, and that the best way to escape the shadow of your successful father is to be your own person. Chie realizes that depending on people who care about you is not a sign of weakness, and that independence is not always the best policy. Kanji finds that others will only respect you when you're honest with yourself, and that compromise is a more effective tool than fear. Nanako learns that a parent's love is unlimited, and that family is a bond that cannot be broken. All of the characters in Persona 4 grow to learn these universal truths and apply them to their lives, and the greatest joy of the game is in seeing your friends discover that loyalty to friends and respect for others is the best measure of a person.

While I have some issues with the way the story wraps up via a standard JRPG final boss bait-and-switch, and would prefer a more dynamic gameplay loop, Persona 4 is not to be missed. The music is excessively catchy J-Pop, the art effectively conveys a remote fishing village under silent attack from the unknown, and the world is populated with an impressively large cast of carefully-written characters. I don't remember JRPGs being like this.

I spent 92 hours over 66 episodes playing Persona 4, which you can watch below.

baka_shinji17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

Awesome! Way to go duder!

HeyGuys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nice write up man, glad to hear another person appreciate a game that I still place as one of my top gaming experiences.

I think the "story" of Persona 4 is actually a little under sold by a lot of people. As a writer and avid reader over time I've come to the conclusion that "story" as interpreted as strictly plot is rarely what defines quality writing, at an essential level most plots are very similar in their basic structure. To me the "story" in P4 succeeds as a framework to allow for the character interactions that define the game to take place and sets up a semi vignette type structure where the driving force of progression is to see the next character's arc play out while also feeding into an incidental larger narrative structure.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

You meant to say you played the greatest game ever made, ever. In the history of ever. Forever. Well, until P5 comes out that is.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@sterling said:

You meant to say you played the greatest game ever made, ever. In the history of ever. Forever. Well, until P5 comes out that is.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@sterling said:

Persona 4 kinda blew up in a way that I don't think anybody really expected, though, and it's still blowing up. And that's the kind of thing that you can't really have with a sequel. I'm sure that Persona 5 will be good, possibly better than 4, but I don't think that it could possibly have quite the same impact that Persona 4 did. Especially in this community, for reasons that are quite obvious.

I pretty much agree with this review of Persona 4 except the bit where you say that the gameplay isn't compelling. Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne is the only other turn-based JRPG I can name that feels as satisfying and as interesting as Persona 4. And frankly, P4 paces out its difficulty and enemy sets better than Nocturne does. The whole focus on hitting weaknesses adds a layer of strategy that you really have to find the best way to utilize. You have to plan ahead, you have to think about what your enemy could do and what all of your characters could do in tandem to damage the enemy and keep yourself alive. Not new JRPG stuff, necessarily, but it's incredibly well-done.

It's worth mentioning that I played Persona 4 Golden on Hard - original P4 on Normal seems to be a decent challenge but I think that playing that game on Hard is where the mechanics really shine.

CottoneUD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good job duder! I'm working through New Game Plus in Persona 4 Golden now -- it is awesome to see the arcs for so many characters develop through the course of the game -- and you discover new ones that you never saw before in a second playthrough!

Avatar image for nicktorious_big
    nicktorious_big

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By nicktorious_big

Man, all of this Persona talk gets me excited for Persona 5...

FCDRandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I need to know when P5 is coming out over here, because I'm going to get it at midnight and play it on stream for 24 hours. Hnnnng.

slax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@fcdrandy: Don't stop streaming until you beat it. You may die, but I think it will be for a worthy cause.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@slax said:

@fcdrandy: Don't stop streaming until you beat it. You may die, but I think it will be for a worthy cause.

You can't die while playing Persona. You will just enter the Velvet Room.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.