Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Sonic the Hedgehog

Character » appears in 177 games

Sonic the Hedgehog is one of the world's most famous video game characters and the mascot of Sega Enterprises Ltd. Sonic was introduced on June 23 1991 with the launch of Sonic the Hedgehog for the Sega Genesis. His super speed makes him one of the fastest fictional characters.

Who is it that gives a shit about Sonic the Hedgehog?

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By I_smell

We all know Sonic was good on the Megadrive, but since then it's got all crazy and dumb. But the Team Sonic guys are still in business, so who's buying all these new Sonic games?

I want to collect rings n shit without the sexual tension between Sonic n- Rouge the Bat. I don't care about Knuckles' time in prison or Tails' crazy inter-species relationships, but apparantly someone out there does. They're makin an RPG now.

Make yourselves known, you crazy Sonic fans.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By DualReaver

We call them Furrys.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By I_smell

I'm sure even they don't care about Sonic the Hedgehog. And there's not enough of em.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Systech

I grew up playing the original Sonic The Hedgehog, I played Sonic Adventure, but when I rented the current-gen Sonic game for the 360, I wanted to throw it out the window at a car driving by. I played Bionicle Heroes instead (what does that tell you?)

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By Shawn

I used to care, honestly I did.

Past tense though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yeah, the DS games were good. 

I'm a fanatical Sonic purist, though.  I even have a plush from '91.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By godzilla_sushi

Each time one comes out it always looks good....

The last one was so amazingly bad and somehow had it's moments where you say to yourself "There, right there. Why didn't they do that better/more." They could build entire Sonic games out of the good moments from the bad games. Adventure 2 had some really fun levels for example, but the rest of the game brings it down.

Yeah, I'm the one falling for it....Unleashed will continue the tradition of "Wow, side-scroller Sonic cool! Why isn't this the whole game?"

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By I_smell
    TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By TEAMHOLT

Parents who think Sonic is a safe bet, horrible deviant nerds who sexualize animals, and people who just can't let go.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11  Edited By kush

I loved the old games and the DS games...I know that the console games have been crappy for a pretty long time, but I will stay hopeful because I know another good Sonic game can happen. It is possible, but it just hasn't happened yet...

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By BigBoss1911
    DualReaver said:
    "We call them Furrys."
    ownage.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#13  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

To be honest I wasn't as put off by some of the 3D stuff as some other people, but I did play a little of Sonic The Hedgehog for Xbox 360 not too long ago and I can say without any hesitation that it was awful.

danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By danielkempster

As long as I own the Mega Collection for my PS2, I will always give a shit about Sonic the Hedgehog. Playing that, I can almost imagine the last ten years never happened.

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By suneku

I loved the old sonic games, never even touched any of the new ones since Sega became a publisher/developer. Last Sonic game I played was Sonic Adventures, and that one was pretty good. I'm not so sure about the RPG that's coming out though...

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By clarke0
    DualReaver said:
    "We call them Furrys."
    I would say that sums it up nicely.
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dalai

Sonic lost his mojo after the Genesis died... that's all I've gotta say about this.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

I actually thought most of the sonic games have been good.  Not great but entertaining..

Im talking about the main 3d ones- adventure, shadow, the sonic/tails/knuckles, and sonic next gen.  They're pretty fun.
    However, Sonic did hit a low point: Sonic and the Secret Rings.  That is the 2nd worst game I've played this gen, only behind transformers.  Such a bad game

Lemegeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Lemegeton
    Dalai said:
    "Sonic lost his mojo after the Genesis died... that's all I've gotta say about this."
    i dunno the first Sonic Adventure game on the Dreamcast was pretty good. basically any sonic game after Sega left the hardware business sucked donkey balls
    Nude_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Nude_Dude
    this is why i love Sonic
    this is why i love Sonic
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Demilich
    danielkempster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By danielkempster
    Nude_Dude said:
    "
    this is why i love Sonic
    this is why i love Sonic
    "
    I think this is conclusive proof that there are still people out there who care way, WAY too much about Sonic.

"I has a speed"... Brilliant!
    PharoahCapcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PharoahCapcom

I wouldn't say I am a Sonic fan but I did used to love the games and I am always hopeful that the franchise becomes good again.The last 3 Sonic games excluding Mario & Sonic at the Olympics and Sonic Riders were complete garbage.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Otacon

Well back in the megadrive days I loved sonic but didn't have a megadrive of my own so anything sonic related was special. I don't think I will ever dislike sonic, I would just prefer some of the new characters to go away.

ParisRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ParisRobot

I grew up on sonic, I loved him to death. I even watched that terrible cartoon with the green and purple hedgehogs (i don't even remember what its called). Actually, I stopped carrying about sonic around that time. Forget I said anything.

On a less embarrasing note, the last sonic games i got were sonic adventure 1 and 2 on the dreamcast. After that I decided that I keep my money away from the blue blur unless he ditched his lame friends  *cough*everyone who isn't tails*cough* and went back to what made the originals fun in the first place. 
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Rowr

Dont doubt bioware.

Avatar image for capncloudchaser
    CapnCloudchaser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By CapnCloudchaser

Some people that say Sonic games have been going down hill since the MegaDrive need to get a grip and look at his games a bit closer. It's been more of a roller-coaster than a downward spiral.

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 were both good, high scoring games when they were released. Sonic Heroes may not have had the same charm, but after that we Sonic Advance, then Shadow the Hedgehog which obviously wasn't as good, followed by Sonic Rush, a critically acclaimed Sonic game, then Sonic 06 which was rubbish, followed by Sonic and the Secret Rings which also received favourable reviews, and Sonic Rush Adventure, which has received favourable reviews. That doesn't look like a downward spiral to me.

We have Sonic Chronicles and Sonic Unleashed on the horizon. Sonic Chronicles is made by Bioware, and Sonic Unleashed uses the Hedgehog engine which has been in development for two years. Sega have been listening to the criticisms of the past few 3D Sonic games, of course they will try and make Sonic Unleashed the best 3D outing Sonic could have. They're not likely to let one of their key franchises die. Just because he's had a few bad games over the past few years doesn't mean that the rest of his games are worthless as well. Hell, even Mario has had some rubbish games and spin-offs, but people don't suddenly jump on the hate bandwagon and start proclaiming his death.

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#28  Edited By Crono

Genesis Sonic = Good

Dreamcast Sonic and beyond = Bad

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By demonbear

Sonic+Rpg made by Bioware = I'm in.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HandsomeDead

Sonic has never been good, so the only people who care are people who care are people who can't let their childhood opinions go.

DeVeAn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By DeVeAn

It seems like its the cool thing to do is hate Sonic these days. Yes there have been bad games but other franchises have had bad ones too. How many were actually bad? Sonic the hedgehog 2006 is one. While they story was not the best, IF the game had been polished it would have been OK not great. Shadow was BAD. Sonic Heroes not the best game but not BAD. I am hoping that Unleashed is Good but I wont know till I play it.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

#32  Edited By godzilla_sushi
    DeVeAn said:
    "It seems like its the cool thing to do is hate Sonic these days. Yes there have been bad games but other franchises have had bad ones too. How many were actually bad? Sonic the hedgehog 2006 is one. While they story was not the best, IF the game had been polished it would have been OK not great. Shadow was BAD. Sonic Heroes not the best game but not BAD. I am hoping that Unleashed is Good but I wont know till I play it."
    First of all, thanks for bringing this thread back up. I'm depressed about Sonic again now :P

Your right, 2006 had some good moments and some fun areas. Like those Sonic areas where he's running full speed....great idea, but so poorly executed.

Heroes wasn't bad, but that was officially taking all the extra characters too far. Who needed all that?

Same thing with Adventure 2. Some of those Sonic Stages were brilliant. Problem was everything else....everything else being almost the whole rest of the game.

Unleashed could be good. I think more people are frustrated with the fact that Sega seems so creatively bankrupt. Really? Stretch arm werewolf? The fans left want a 2-D Sonic for the most part. It's unfortunate that we got our hopes up when they leaked the first trailer. Probably a good reason why the werewolf wasn't shown earlier! Looking at the release schedule, Sonic will have quite a challenge this year in sales. I'm sure it will sell on the Wii. But good luck on the PS3 and 360....

I think Sega has treated almost all their IP's pretty poorly. Their best games are still ports! And even then, they put out the Master System Sonic on VC. That's almost irresponsible on their part.

This post ended up a little longer then I intended....but come on!
    shotaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#33  Edited By shotaro

did I honestly just see a Lolsonic?

anyway Sonic is like Mario in a way - except Sonic has sucked for a long time - even if Mario sucked people would still love him.

TheDavidSwain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By TheDavidSwain

They should make like... Sonic Raving Rabbids or something.

Do what successfull 2d games did to evolve and still be fun.

Sonic adventure battle 2 was shit. All the new sonic games have been shit. Except for that one on the dreamcast that was ok. I blame the camera, it's hard to enjoy going fast when the camera makes it impossible to see where the hell you are going.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Demyx
    TheDavidSwain said:
    "They should make like... Sonic Raving Rabbids or something.

Do what successfull 2d games did to evolve and still be fun.

Sonic adventure battle 2 was shit. All the new sonic games have been shit. Except for that one on the dreamcast that was ok. I blame the camera, it's hard to enjoy going fast when the camera makes it impossible to see where the hell you are going."
    I liked SA2B. Although I was like 11 when I played it.
    FullMetal_Mac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FullMetal_Mac

I have always respected Sonic The Hedgehog, but after Sonic Heroes that's when Sonic started to lose all his greatness the only thing that saves Sonic from sucking anymore is the fact that the original games on the Genesis still kick ass.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Illmatic

Little kids.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By get2sammyb

I want him to be good again.

mac512k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By mac512k

My opinion on sonic games...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.