Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Citizen

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 11, 2021

A first-person space combat & flight simulation MMO inspired by the Wing Commander series of games.

Gary Oldman, Mark Hamill announced for Squadron 42

• 61 results
    ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#51  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@funkydupe said:
    @paulmako said:

There seems to be a collective willingness for this game to fail.

Also Mark Strong's involvement is way more interesting to me than Oldman or Hamil. He's great.

I wonder if they will offer whatever this single player campaign component of this is as a standalone.

Kickstarters/crowfunding games in general has been hit and miss. The anger towards Star Citizen is mainly because of the way it is funded, and that some players who can afford it will start the MMO with capital ships and it just rubs people the wrong way. Then there is frustration of no set release date. Because the game has grown in scope, it looks tougher and tougher for them to actually deliver.

Let's not forget jealousy and just general hate culture playing its part, in anything online, not just crowdfunding.

Yes, I think they will offer Squadron 42 as a singleplayer game, detached from Star Citizen (the MMO). That wasn't their plan initially. I'm not entirely certain whether the campaign game will be played with a player created character anymore.

I personally don't enjoy MMOs much. Wing Commander nostalgia is why I hope they can make a good singleplayer game. Maybe something with a Wing Commander/Star Wars/Battlestar Galactica feel to it.

I agree with this post, but I do think a lot of the rooting for it to fail is unfortunate. I don't love how they are going about it all, but overall it's cool to see basically a AAA game get crowdfunded. Yes there have been bad parts to crowdfunding, but it's also put out a lot of really great games. I love that it exists as a way for games to happen, because we have gotten games I do not think we'd get otherwise.

I also think some of the doubt seems based on the idea that this game is more than it is. There are other games on the market that probably won't be too dissimilar ultimately to what this game is (Elite Dangerous comes to mind). Maybe people are expecting too much? I feel like Destiny suffered under that expectation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

@paulmako: It's not that anyone really wants Star Citizen to fail but I know for me is that realistically I can't see this game succeeding on even half of what is promised or even being released.

When I see they are offering ship packs totaling $15,000 and starting a referral system I can't help but feel that this is gross and exploitative. Yeah no one is forcing anyone to buy these ship packs or to refer their friends and family to sign up for bonus fake money but it is playing off peoples weird obsession for a game that isn't even close to being released. You got guild/corporation threads and recruitment videos on Youtube for this game and again there is no game yet. I just can't help but feel bad for all the people who have spent more than retail price for Star Citizen. I get there is a risk with any crowd funding project but there is the weird cult of personality surrounding Star Citizen where the faithful refuse to have grounded expectations.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By Funkydupe

There are "cults" of fans surrounding pretty much any big IP. Have you met Star Wars fans, Star Trek fans, Lord of the Rings fans etc? Have you met fans of popular actors, popular singers? Wing Commander is nostalgia for us old dudes. There are always extremes when you look at a big group of people, I bet most people supporting Star Citizen is below 60 bucks, but yeah, what do I know.

I think it is possible to support this for as low as 35 bucks or is it 45? Some support it with 10000 dollars, and some even more! Scam and Pay 2 Win gets thrown around, but some of these people are honestly excited that this is happening. Are there any interviews with big individual backers? Do they feel scammed, are they aware the game could fail to deliver?

As I said I'm all for the singleplayer experience, but I have to say, without the MMO Star Citizen would have never become this big, have raised this much money, and be talked about as much as it is right now.

As an old space sim fan, I love that stuff is happening in this rather niche and forgotten genre. I might not agree with everything and how it plays out, but finally something is happening, you know.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

This game.... It's never coming out is it?

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who knows. Supporters will say YES. Doubters MAYBE. Haters NO. Developers Soon(tm). :)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#56  Edited By mike

@funkydupe said:
    @sackmanjones said:

Who knows. Supporters will say YES. Doubters MAYBE. Haters NO. Developers Soon(tm). :)

I'm positive at least something will eventually come out. After all, some of the basics are already playable, so they are well on their way to piecing together something. I think the better questions are: when will it eventually be released, what will the scope of the game be like when it does come out, and what will the game actually initially feature compared what has been promised. I can see Star Citizen going the Elite: Dangerous route and releasing more or less the base framework of the game initially, and then slowly rolling out the rest of it over a period of years in the form of expansions. Whether those will be paid expansions or not, who knows. It's just a guess, though.

My main concern is that given the massive scope of what Roberts wants to accomplish, it seems like that is so far away from what they currently have that is playable, which isn't much.

Ultimately, I'm just glad I only dropped around $50 to back Star Citizen. I still cannot wrap my mind around why in the world all these people would spend thousands and thousands of dollars on ships that are not only currently unusable, but these are ships that players can eventually attain for free during the course of gameplay when the game finally comes out. I just don't get it. I mean yeah, one could argue that they are just supporting the project and donating money to fund development, but I think there's something more than that going on with some of the Star Citizen whales.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@mike said:
    @funkydupe said:
    @sackmanjones said:

I'm positive at least something will eventually come out. After all, some of the basics are already playable, so they are well on their way to piecing together something. I think the better questions are: when will it eventually be released, what will the scope of the game be like when it does come out, and what will the game actually initially feature compared what has been promised. I can see Star Citizen going the Elite: Dangerous route and releasing more or less the base framework of the game initially, and then slowly rolling out the rest of it over a period of years in the form of expansions. Whether those will be paid expansions or not, who knows. It's just a guess, though.

My main concern is that given the massive scope of what Roberts wants to accomplish, it seems like that is so far away from what they currently have that is playable, which isn't much.

Ultimately, I'm just glad I only dropped around $50 to back Star Citizen. I still cannot wrap my mind around why in the world all these people would spend thousands and thousands of dollars on ships that are not only currently unusable, but these are ships that players can eventually attain for free during the course of gameplay when the game finally comes out. I just don't get it. I mean yeah, one could argue that they are just supporting the project and donating money to fund development, but I think there's something more than that going on with some of the Star Citizen whales.

I'm still trying to get past people assumption that the game should almost be finished by now. Expecting an MMO to be done after only 3 years of production is crazy. Hell the staff here on the site have themselves on multiple occasions made mention of the fact that according to most developers they've spoken to over the years a game doesn't really start to look like the finished product until the last 20%.

Epic started work on UT4 close to 18 months ago and all they have is a 4 or 5 of completed maps, a bunch of grey boxed maps, the weapons and half a dozen skins. Not to mention half of those maps are recreations of old maps which removes a large part of the design work. That game isn't even half as complex and I don't here anyone talking about the state of development there.

mbdoeden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:
    @funkydupe said:
    @sackmanjones said:

Ah, you think the whales may literally be buying influence into the game design process? It wouldn't surprise me, I remember Austin telling a story about some mobile game devs doing special things for an individual whale.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@mbdoeden: I don't think so? I really don't know, I don't think there is any evidence to suggest that sort of thing is happening, though.

mbdoeden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By mbdoeden

@mike: I doubt it myself (there is no evidence) but it's an interesting thought. I mean, if you have an investor willing to give enough money to make a project happen the creators usually bend and sway to appeal to them. Not saying the devs really need to fund raise like that at the moment, they presumably have the funds to give them leverage in that sort of conversation. However, I could see minor appeasements turning around to bite them in the ass through natural escalation of perks in the interest of fairness.

Whatever, this is all hypothetical BS. :)

I'm excited to eventually read the insane series of novels about the behinds the scenes of this thing in 20 years.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By tuxfool
    @funkydupe said:

@john1912:Yes, I think you are echoing a lot of peoples feelings right now. The MMO has to work with hundreds of players doing their own thing within an instance of space, with online latency factoring into it as well. It has to track players' ships, as well as what goes on within those ships. Saying this is complex is a major understatement. Developing and implementing the tech required, getting the features to work off and online is one thing, but in addition to that, it has to be fun and engaging to actually play it. Creating content enmasse and have it be fun and not overly complicated, tedious nor repetitive on a big scale will be a challenge.

I should point out that calling the PU an MMO is a slight misnomer. You're going to get multiple people in an area at the same time, but the game is heavily instanced and the world is heavily weighted at 10% humans to 90% npc. They aren't looking at 100 people in the same area at the same time, rather as soon as an area hits its limit a new instance is created on the fly, with maximum numbers in the same order as a typical session based multiplayer game.

If you want a comparison to a working architecture today look at Elite:Dangerous (though that is p2p) and Destiny, which has those shared areas, like the Tower. Unlike an MMO where people join a world server accomodating large numbers of people, new instances of the Tower are generated when it hits a player limit.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:
    @funkydupe said:
    @sackmanjones said:

The ships only serve the purpose of a collection to them or the ability to boost their Organisation's capabilities. Outside of that, it's something else that drives their spending. From what I've observed of the high rollers, there is always an element of charity or goodwill to what they are doing. They certainly feel passionately about the project. It could be nostalgia of Chris' earlier games, a sense of giving their hard earned money to something they genuinely believe in, or maybe even just wanting to ensure the community they are participating in stays afloat for long enough to matter. Some also buy ships as a way to promote their Twitch streams with regular prizes, or simply to pay it forward to people who can't even buy a single package.

I have access to the Concierge forum (it unlocks for people who have accrued $1000 or more), and, aside from a few perks such as faster response for CS tickets or VIP access to after-party popup events, almost none of the high rollers ever seem to expect any major privileges out of what they pay. They mostly say they are doing it because they want to see the project get bigger and more successful. Given their wealth, it's not like they have just won the lottery and want to spend it somewhere. These are highly successful people (gas company engineers, IT consultants, property developers) and they know how to earn money and they know that spending real money on pixels makes no sense (although i've heard there are some who milk the 'grey market' pretty well) but they seem to do it anyway for the reasons I said above.

As for the scope of the game, there are a lot of technical boundaries that are being pushed hard. Take this dev's post for example. It seems to me that they have been spending a lot of time "under the hood" so to speak to get the engine to where they need it to be. So long as there are no major tech problems or game-breaking bugs (or more crap from a certain unhinged and vindictive individual :P ), these coming months we will see more content pushed out than the last few years combined.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.