Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Citizen

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 11, 2021

A first-person space combat & flight simulation MMO inspired by the Wing Commander series of games.

Star Citizen A New Hope?

Mistzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Destiny was a preorder purchase and a massive dissapointment content wise for me (Opinion* Destiny apologists) I've been looking for other space type games. To my surprise there seems to be three options for me to choose from, No Man Sky, Elite Dangerous, and Star Citizen. No Man I'm still skeptical about because there isn't enough information about gameplay and the objective of the game is. Then there is Elite which seems to not have story structure of a single player game and is more akin to Minecraft where you have to make your own fun. Lastly there is Star Citizen which seems to have the single player story aspect as well as a open world universe with limited planets but are hand crafted and aren't procedurally generated. That should mean sacrifice of true exploration for th sake of richer content which I'm okay with. Now my question is Star Citizen worth backing now to get the discount for the game when it releases or do I take a wait and see approach? Also, what space game are you anticipating the most?

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By tuxfool

@mistzero: At this point I'd definitely wait and see. Some of what they have shown is impressive, their goals are impressive. But their development methodology has been so scattershot, it is hard to see how it will end up being a cohesive game for any of the modes they have proposed.

Elite at least is a contiguous experience and you feel part of a universe. Star Citizen at this point is a collection of tech demos (though fairly robust in some cases).

Personally my ideal space game would be Freespace 3. None of these games seem to be replicating the panache of the Freespace games...

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Your talk of pre-orders concerns me. Remember that backing a game is a DONATION and not a pre-order. That game might never come out. You are not ordering the game to get a discount.

I backed Star Citizen at the start but as with all the other projects I have backed I approach it as "I like this concept/idea and I would love to see it happen but if it never comes out then so be it."

Mistzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@hassun: yeah, I guess you're right about thinking of it as a preorder is the wrong but at this point where it has 69 million dollars and counting do you think it won't come out?

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By rethla

I cant tell what the difference between Star citizen and Elite is other than Elite already being a fully functional game while SC is just a kickstarter atm. No man sky is just the grand artsy smokescreen that always catches medias attention but its still unclear if its even a game, if it is its probably bad is my bet.

Elite seems like a sure thing but if you feel for waiting to see how SC comes out go ahead, i wouldnt be putting money into SC before i made my descision though.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The only issue with Star Citizen I see at the moment is that they are trying to do too much. The game sounds like the sci-fi game to end all sci-fi games but it also could end up in development limbo forever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.