Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Star Citizen

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 11, 2021

A first-person space combat & flight simulation MMO inspired by the Wing Commander series of games.

Star Citizen releases Imagine trailer

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

At this point the hype for this game is reaching critical mass. It's definitely at that point where it's "Too good to be true". I'm deathly afraid of this game falling short of everything it's promised and I can't imagine the meltdown that'd happen if it did.

What do you guys think? Do you hold hope for Star Citizen or are you keeping cautious of it's promises?

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Idk.. I'm trying not to think too much about it, I really hope it pulls through but once they started selling hand towels, aquariums and whatever other stupid shit they have there I got really worried...

Anyway I got a 60 buck pack with the game + a stand alone ship for 110 bucks when the crowdfunding campaign first appeared, so I had a 170 usd total expense, then I sold that stand alone ship recently for 230 usd :), so technically I'll be playing the game for free pretty much, hell i've even got a bit of profit out of it.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No matter how good this game is, it will be a disappointment. People are putting the hopes of the human race behind this thing. I'll be happy if it ever releases with half the promised stuff in a functional way.

Avatar image for deactivated-62a216db3532b
    deactivated-62a216db3532b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am starting to get the feeling that instead of it being one great thing, its just going to be a bunch of mediocre things.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By onarum

@daddycabinet: yep.. hell all he had to do was freelancer 2 with those awesome graphics and it would be an instant win for me, at this point I'm more excited for squadron 42 then I am for the actual full SC thing.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

The text being timed to the music was bad at first, but then the drop came and holy shit was that a terrible trailer, haha.

After playing Elite: Dangerous though I'm really interested in Star Citizen. It's silly, but I REALLY like being able to manually look around my ship while flying, accessing different menus that way or just looking around at planets or ships. Being able to actually get up and walk around my ship or outside of it like you can in Star Citizen is almost enough to make me drop the 45 bucks for that Arena Commander thing.

Speaking of which, what the fuck is the deal with buying anything in that game. You buy the game, then buy ships separately? Can you not buy ships with in-game currency? I mean, when the game is more than just Arena Commander. Or is it just blatently pay-to-win?

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have zero hype for games like this. I have no idea what it is or what it's supposed to be. I'm not gonna get excited or hope for something ridiculous. I'll wait til the GB staff are playing it on their couch.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By onarum

@theht: well, the ships people bought during the initial phase of the crowdfunding campaign had the perk of having lifetime insurance, so you can blow them up as many times as you want and there will always be a replacement waiting for you, otherwise you'll actually lose your ship.

Now I think they are coming with a 6 months insurance or whatever, I believe that the whole buying ships for real money thing will end once the game comes out, at least that's the impression I had at first...

And yes you will be able to buy all the ships with in game currency just fine, I also believe that once the game comes out the only stuff being sold will be cosmetic, at least that's what i hope, haven't been following for a good while.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope its good. Gives me a reason to break out my HOTAS flight stick again.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onarum: Oh, well that all sounds great. Might get in on this Arena Commander thing then.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

I have zero hype for games like this. I have no idea what it is or what it's supposed to be. I'm not gonna get excited or hope for something ridiculous. I'll wait til the GB staff are playing it on their couch.

Yuuuuuuup, I'm in the same boat. Almost everything I hear about the game tries to make it sound like the second coming of christ that's literally going to make every other game I have ever loved obsolete after it comes out. I just wanna see the final fucking thing in action at this point

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am more hyped for the shit storm that will happen upon release than for the game itself. Don't let me down internet.

sumbog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would be totally happy if Star Citizen was the greatest game of all time, but I dont want to get my hopes up/

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This trailer was originally a fan edit if I'm not mistaken, CIG went and licensed the music and cleaned it up and bundled in some new footage to round it out. The level of community engagement they have is pretty damn impressive (even with it now growing large enough to breed a toxic element).

avenlaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By avenlaya

I still haven't seen anything about what you can actually do in the game. Are you going to be able to make your own ships? Mine asteroids? Are you going to be able to land on planets and what not? My real concern is how is this game really different than something like No man Sky, which actually has some sort of direction in terms of game play.

rcath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is Firewatch?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The funniest thing is that we have 0 evidence this game is going to be fun to play in any capacity. Nevermind if it can be a fun FPS exploration racing space sim game. Nevermind the fact that they have to fit all this stuff together in a way that make sense and doesn't feel janky as fuck.

No, the only thing that's certain about star citizen is that they have very effective targeted marketing. They can coast on marketing alone forever too. "Oh no you guys, just you wait until the new module, this will change everything" is something I fully expect to hear 2 years from now still when people, way too invested, can't let go of a bloated game going nowhere.

Avatar image for rollingzeppelin
    rollingzeppelin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its hard to be excited for something when I have no idea what this game will actually consist of. I'll wait for reviews to roll in or some detailed demonstration of the games aspects before I start giving it my attention.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The funniest thing is that we have 0 evidence this game is going to be fun to play in any capacity. Nevermind if it can be a fun FPS exploration racing space sim game. Nevermind the fact that they have to fit all this stuff together in a way that make sense and doesn't feel janky as fuck.

No, the only thing that's certain about star citizen is that they have very effective targeted marketing. They can coast on marketing alone forever too. "Oh no you guys, just you wait until the new module, this will change everything" is something I fully expect to hear 2 years from now still when people, way too invested, can't let go of a bloated game going nowhere.

Well there's this stuff which you can play now:

Loading Video...

In fact, it looks like Arena Commander v1.0 was released today.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By korwin

@pyrodactyl said:

"Oh no you guys, just you wait until the new module, this will change everything" is something I fully expect to hear 2 years from now still when people, way too invested, can't let go of a bloated game going nowhere.

You understand that the modules are meant to be vertical slices of major game play elements right? It's not like the final game is just going to be a pile of modules.

@avenlaya said:

I still haven't seen anything about what you can actually do in the game. Are you going to be able to make your own ships? Mine asteroids? Are you going to be able to land on planets and what not? My real concern is how is this game really different than something like No man Sky, which actually has some sort of direction in terms of game play.

There is an abundance of information with regards to that stuff, to answer all 3 of the questions you just asked

• Ship manufacturing will not be performed by player, however ship availability in regions in game will be based on the trade in base resources being collected and traded by the player base
    • Yes
    • Yes

I can understand scepticism however you seem to be trying to be willfully ignorant to make some kind of point. Hell Chris Roberts has a weekly show were he answers questions about the game will be.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#21  Edited By Bollard

I really can't see the Star Citizen story ending well. Their development strategy of making 5 separate games and then somehow hoping they all fit together in any meaningful way is set up for disaster, not to mention their engine choice will continue to hamper their progress.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Are they still doing the SP campaign? I don't care for other people in my games.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

Imagine Star Citizen is an actual game, now hold that thought. I'm cautiously interested in Star Citizen. i dropped $40 on it at the promise of unlimited ship insurance without really knowing what the hell that really means, but at least my space trash-can with an engine bolted onto it will last me a lifetime.

I'm worried at this point that people will fill their heads with what they think SC will be that the actual game will feel more limited than imagined. Not saying that's a bad thing for me. i just think the shit-storm is inevitable. How they tie all the pieces together will be key, and i have a feeling it'll all just be loading screens between the different components, hopefully cleverly hidden, at best.

For me, it's best to mostly forget about Star Citizen and hope to be pleasantly surprised when it gets to the point where i can at least watch people demo the full experience.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I managed to try a little of Arena Commander when it was free and let me tell you that the combat is just fine on it's own. So space pew pew is fine already.

@bollard: What engine choice?

I think they're on Cryengine which if I remember some other MMO was also on and it did not fare well. Can't remember what name it had though.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By conmulligan

I bought into this for $20 yesterday because they had some kind of limited sale going on and I'm an impulsive fucking idiot. The only thing I really want is for this not to be mediocre. Give me a great game or give me an epic shitshow; either's fine, Chris Roberts.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought into this when they only had 5.5 million, and I must admit it's been weird seeing some of the reactions from people across both outside and within the community of Star Citizen. I understand the apprehension and it is insane that they have accumulated so much money, but I'm no hype monster and my expectations are nil. I'm in it more for Squadron 42 than I am for the persistent universe. Still, if I find that arm of the game compelling then I feel like I came out on top.

@jimbo yeah they're still doing the SP campaign.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hero_swe said:
    @pyrodactyl said:

I think they're on Cryengine which if I remember some other MMO was also on and it did not fare well. Can't remember what name it had though.

The Cryengine means nothing in that regard, it''s one of the most fully featured engines on the market and it's super pretty to boot.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So they are making the best space sim ever...only to saddle it with poor first/third person gameplay tacked on. You know Robert, I like your ambition but at this point I want a focussed space sim and not a 'jack of all trades, master of none' kinda game.

tuxfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@trafalgarlaw: The problem is that many of these things were backer goals. So they have to implement them. I agree that these things are superfluous but they have to be there.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not exactly in a rush to play it, I'll be saving up for a gaming rig to actually run it by the time it launches. They just released 1.0.0 but what does that actually mean anymore? I'm just concerned that by the time it actually launches, people will have moved on...

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

@korwin said:

@hero_swe said:
    @pyrodactyl said:

The Cryengine means nothing in that regard, it''s one of the most fully featured engines on the market and it's super pretty to boot.

CryEngine is an awful choice for trying to make a game set in space where vast distances and huge objects (i.e. Orbital Space Stations) need to be represented. The Engine has a limit of 30km squared on the world size, which they will have to have hacked around if they want anything bigger.

I've spent a fair amount of time following space games, be it No Man's Sky, Elite: Dangerous or Star Citizen. An old favourite I have been following for years is Infinity: The Quest for Earth, whose developers (who know slightly more than I do about making a procedurally generated galaxy and 30km space stations) had this to say:

The hard problem is creating planets of any size with stunning and varied visual detail. Combining those planets with space stations that are 30km in diameter while allowing a seamless and smooth transition, that's really freaking hard and that's what we've been working on solving - the hard problems. It should be noted that a single map in CryEngine is limited to 30km by 30km. We have space stations that are the size of an entire CryEngine map.

The bigger issue for both E:D and SC is likely the fact that they are working with existing code bases. This can be both an asset and a liability. Depending on how their respective engines are built, and in the case of SC they're using CryEngine (which seems to be going out of business atm) so they didn't even build their own tech stack, it could be a huge, complicated mess for them to make the appropriate changes required to handle planets.

Source: https://forums.inovaestudios.com/t/date-of-the-kickstarter/389/49 - Keith Newton

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was pretty excited with all the ship stuff, but now with the PU and FPS stuff it seems a little overwhelming. Ship boarding seems like a cool concept but it seems like a pain in the ass to pull off if you're only able to use first person perspective on the ships... imagine trying to align all the docking collars accurately only to break your ship in half in the process and there goes your $200+ ship that ran out of insurance. I sort of have hope that all this will come together in the end, but at the same time I think it's going to take so long that a lot of the backers are going to end up disinterested in the whole thing. I think that a smarter move would be to focus on perfecting all the single seater ships so that they run perfectly (which is sort of what they're doing...?) but they should also focus on making S42 just so people have some sort of complete game to play rather than a bunch of broken up modules. The PU along with all the extra activities (racing, exploring, hauling, fps, planet side, etc.) should all be considered extra content to look forward to in the future rather than as the actual "launch" of the game.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I just don't see how they can possibly make great versions of space combat, ground combat, and everything else that they are promising. I feel it would of been better to focus on one part and release it when it was good. After that then implement your other stuff.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By korwin

@bollard said:

@korwin said:

@hero_swe said:
    @pyrodactyl said:

CryEngine is an awful choice for trying to make a game set in space where vast distances and huge objects (i.e. Orbital Space Stations) need to be represented. The Engine has a limit of 30km squared on the world size, which they will have to have hacked around if they want anything bigger.

I've spent a fair amount of time following space games, be it No Man's Sky, Elite: Dangerous or Star Citizen. An old favourite I have been following for years is Infinity: The Quest for Earth, whose developers (who know slightly more than I do about making a procedurally generated galaxy and 30km space stations) had this to say:

The hard problem is creating planets of any size with stunning and varied visual detail. Combining those planets with space stations that are 30km in diameter while allowing a seamless and smooth transition, that's really freaking hard and that's what we've been working on solving - the hard problems. It should be noted that a single map in CryEngine is limited to 30km by 30km. We have space stations that are the size of an entire CryEngine map.

The bigger issue for both E:D and SC is likely the fact that they are working with existing code bases. This can be both an asset and a liability. Depending on how their respective engines are built, and in the case of SC they're using CryEngine (which seems to be going out of business atm) so they didn't even build their own tech stack, it could be a huge, complicated mess for them to make the appropriate changes required to handle planets.

Source: https://forums.inovaestudios.com/t/date-of-the-kickstarter/389/49 - Keith Newton

The engine is being moved to 64-bit float. Hell cry engine supported 64-bit back in the days of Crysis 1 but it was busted down when Crytek started chasing console bucks. The move to dp removes the map size limitation.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The flight system in star citizen feels like a weird mix between traditional dogfighting and controlling rcs thrusters in kerbal space program, which... makes sense I guess. I dunno if its optimal but im pretty sure I had fun for the hour or two I played it, I see a lot of potential for mastery. Immediately I'm thinking of all sorts of crazy manoeuvres I could do, I also understand the appeal of having actual thrusters all over the ship controlling pitch/yaw etc.. in theory it leads to situations similar to getting your control surfaces blown off in a ww2 flight sim (this coupled with repair droids would be super cool). I just wish the ship felt less swimmy when all the assists are on.

Lots of small touches I like, the targeting solution is attached to your helmet instead of the enemy ship, feels like I'm actually lining up a shot while being assisted by a targeting computer rather than the game saying hey shoot the dot, ignore the ship. Blacking out and crashing immobilises your character while the ship is still spinning, its a cool effect. Parts of the enemy ship flying off, also cool. Turning off individual sub systems is cool, re routing power and shields is always cool. All the core stuff is in place, it has most of the options I want in a space sim, they just have to tighten up the feel, allow people to switch to the crazy swimmy controls when they want speed and manoeuvrability and make the assisted flight more stable.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Please be good.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#38 sweep  Moderator

Looking forward to the inevitable 4 star review.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.