Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Starfield

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Aug 31, 2023

Starfield is a sci-fi role-playing game created by Bethesda Game Studios, the creators of The Elder Scrolls and recent Fallout games. This is the first new franchise from the studio in 25 years.

You Can Start Preloading Starfield On Xbox If You Have Early Access Rights; 126GB On Xbox & 140GB On PC

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By ZombiePie  Staff

Allowing users to preload games has become increasingly more common with the proliferation of digital downloading of games, and in the case of AAA titles, it has become an expectation. In news that confused some people, Bethesda Softworks announced that people who purchased Starfield's purchase the $99.99 Premium Edition or picked up the game's $34.99 Starfield Premium Upgrade can preload the game to play it at 5 pm PT, 7 pm CT, and 8 pm ET on August 31. If you plan to play the via Game Pass or purchased a standard version of the game, you will not be allowed to participate in the early access event and will have to wait until the game's September 6, 2023 global release date.

Also, the ability to preload the game currently is limited to the Xbox Series X|S. PC and Steam purchases of the game cannot preload the game until August 30. Oh and the storage requirements are unshockingly steep. On Xbox, you will need 126 GB of storage, which is nearly a quarter of the default Series S's internal storage. On PC, the storage space is 140 GB, which curiously, is more than the current Minimum/Recommended System Specs for Starfield on PC which list "125 GB available space." Don't believe me? Here you go!

MinimumRecommended
    OS: Windows 10 version 21H1 (10.0.19043)OS: Windows 10/11 with updates
    Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, Intel Core i7-6800KProcessor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, Intel i5-10600K
    Memory: 16 GB RAMMemory: 16 GB RAM
    Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 5700, Nvidia GeForce 1070 TiGraphics: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080
    DirectX: Version 12DirectX: Version 12
    Storage: 125 GB available spaceNetwork: Broadband Internet connection
    Additional Notes: SSD RequiredStorage: 125 GB available space
    Additional Notes: SSD Required

I must admit, when Call of Duty broke the 200 GB mark, I have increasingly stopped caring about download sizes. With AAA titles, I just accept that the numbers will be higher than normal. Honestly, I actually think 126 to 140 is moderate for a game like Starfield where its developer continues to talk up how big it is. Nonetheless, those of you that have metered internet or data caps will be in my thoughts and prayers.

sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

BG3 took me three days to download because I'm on 3mb down

Honestly fuck this

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By AV_Gamer
    @sombre said:

BG3 took me three days to download because I'm on 3mb down

Honestly fuck this

I recently got Jedi Survivor on sale for my PS5 and the game is 148GBs to install. I had to delete most of the games I already had installed on the drive that came with the PS5 to make room for it while keeping my live service games installed which also take a lot of space. And I'd image when the new Season of Destiny 2 starts next week, I will have update install issues. The size of these games are getting crazy.

Fortunately, Jedi Survivor is actually a really good game.

ALLTheDinos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I preloaded this, Armored Core VI, and Sea of Stars yesterday. AC6 is 53.6 GB (probably another 10-15 higher on launch day) and Sea of Stars is 4.6 GB. I’m glad I can do this in advance but it starts the storage shuffle much earlier than I expected.

There really need to be more solutions for people with slower internet. I complain about mine, but in the worst case it takes hours, not days, to finishing downloading a game. Not holding my breath for ISPs to do better so I guess it’s on publishers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.