Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Apple rejects Steam Link App

cheapandtacky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cheapandtacky

In a move that shouldn't surprise anyone Apple have rejected the Steam Link app.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-05-25-apple-rejects-valves-game-streaming-steam-link-app-for-ios

The reason was business conflicts. Where does this leave the Steam Link idea now? I can't see valve going forward as Android only. Maybe back to the dongle concept?

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Why can't you see Steam going Android only for their app? It's still a large install base.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cheapandtacky: Why would they not push on with just Android? There are millions of Android users out there and millions of Android boxes that people plug into their tv to use Android apps and other, less legal streaming services.

WillyOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, read about it yesterday. Pretty stupid move from Apple.

Not that I really have much use for Steam Link (my Samsung TV has the app it and seems to work about the same as the hardware version of Steam Link which is also pretty useless piece of hardware), I think Apple has to approve Steam Link soon or there will be a small shit storm...

cheapandtacky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cheapandtacky

@yesiamaduck: It's a large base but it seemed like the plan was to get rid of the steamlink boxes and move to an app approach that would put a streaming box in every home, or as near as.

I have never owned an Apple product so it makes no difference to me, but it seams like a pretty big stumbling block for Valves new approach.

Jaymii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apple has prevented apps from having their own internal app store, or ways to buy products without direct integration in the app store, for the lifespan of the App Store. Comixology and tons of other apps have always had this issue. It makes sense though, honestly. I think there must be a way to move forward that limits access to buying new games but still allows access to pre-purchased ones.

I think when full on game streaming becomes a big deal, and it's kinda almost there, the Steam Link ultimately could be pushed as a defacto product. Steam just needs to stop half-assing its hardware both in terms of retail and pricing (disposable prices in sales, etc) and maybe add in some VOD services. This app solution feels like yet another way for them to get 50% of the way there without really giving the push it needs.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Android only can work if they focus on smart tvs

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Android only can work if they focus on smart tvs

That would be extremely neat. I've got Retroarch installed natively on my Android TV.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: Exactly that. If anything - iPhone is a "nice to have". Being on Android phones, tablets, tv's, sticks, boxes etc is much bigger and they have that.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mikewhy

@jaymii said:Apple has prevented apps from having their own internal app store, or ways to buy products without direct integration in the app store, for the lifespan of the App Store.

You can already buy stuff from Steam in the iOS app ...

And like people mentioned on other sites, should Apple also remove Microsoft's Remote Desktop app? Because using that I can sign into my PC and buy things in the Windows Store.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To the hell with apple, android is all valve needs

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.