Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Bizarre: 'Steam is out of third-party keys that are required by the game.'

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was looking at the Steam page for Age of Empires III (hey, I got nostalgic) and to my surprise noticed I was unable to buy the game. Instead, Steam had given this message:

This game is temporarily unavailable to purchase because Steam is out of third-party keys that are required by the game. Once the publisher provides more keys, the game will be available for purchase again.

I didn't really think that buying things off the Steam store meant you were actually still buying a key in the background.

It also seems bizarre that a game from a relatively well known franchise could be 'out of stock'. I thought we were in the digital future where things didn't go out of stock!

Is this just someone at the publisher Microsoft forgetting to tick a box somewhere? Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Avatar image for rocketblast0063
    rocketblast0063

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Yes, have seen that with other MS games too. Fable 3 iirc. It stinks. And they had to hunt down a former employee from Lionhead or something like that.

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I have never seen it but it makes sense from a business standpoint: everyone wants you to use their storefront. At least Microsoft didn't just refuse to use Steam like EA did.

jszyarto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

This has happened a few times in steam history and it is from what I've heard is steam basically bought volume liscensing from Microsoft and have basically run out of the number of keys from being on sale for a while give it a day or two and there should be more if that.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

So I bought GTA IV years ago and had this problem after purchase. Glad they've changed that.

Steam did send me a key for GTA IV the next day or so.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.