Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros.

Franchise »

The Super Smash Bros. series is Nintendo's premier fighting series, featuring many characters from Nintendo's most popular games as well as third-party characters.

New Super Smash Bros. Game Being Developed by Namco Bandai

Bigbombomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Bigbombomb

It was announced on the Nintendo Direct live stream. Namco Bandai will be working in collaboration with Project Sora on the Super Smash Bros. games for the Wii U and 3DS. I'm guessing more will be revealed after the stream. Who's ready to play as Pac-Man?

Links: IGN, Inside Gaming

Edit: Here's a message from Sora's Masahiro Sakurai and Namco Bandai's Masaya Kobayashi: Nintendo Direct Message

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Huh? What?

Wait, what?

Why?

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Cloudenvy

@FluxWaveZ: Because after Brawl, they wanted to see if they could make it even worse!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Cloudenvy: Aw, I liked Brawl. I'll admit, though, that I definitely preferred the core gameplay of Melee to the slow, floaty, trippy mess that Brawl became.

I just want another Smash Dojo.

Bigbombomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bigbombomb
    TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By TheHT

ssb 4 n64 4 lyfe

But yes, this is strange. Also, your IGN link doesn't work. Commentary or accident?

Bigbombomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bigbombomb

@TheHT: It is all very odd, even the link not working because it works fine for me. Sorry about that.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/06/22/namco-bandai-developing-next-smash-bros

The same article also updated saying the Tekken development team will also be working on it. Yoshito Higuchi, the director of Tales of Vesperia, will also be working on it, so expect Tales characters to be in there (not really).

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
    WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

@TheHT said:

ssb 4 n64 4 lyfe

:D

Anyway- I could see this going either way: they could either end up pleasing the Melee fans, or angering everyone. :P

..... Or somewhere in the middle- but middle-grounds don't exist on the internet, so you didn't hear me mention this. >_>

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By TheHT

@Bigbombomb: nope. you're right. it works. dunno why but putting my cursor over it did nothing last time i was in this thread.

also, seeing some of the names working on this make it 10x weirder. but also increases my curiousity substantially.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By jking47

Hopefully they move back to the fast paced combat of Melee. I am interested to see how this goes.

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By egg

this all but guarantees Susumu will be in the game

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@WarlockEngineerMoreDakka said:

@TheHT said:

ssb 4 n64 4 lyfe

:D

Anyway- I could see this going either way: they could either end up pleasing the Melee fans, or angering everyone. :P

..... Or somewhere in the middle- but middle-grounds don't exist on the internet, so you didn't hear me mention this. >_>

This really is what it comes down to. You either make the Melee fags happy or you make everyone else happy. I understand completely why people prefer Melee, but I had way more fun playing Brawl because: More characters, Lots of stages, Level Editor, tons of fun misc. content. Brawl also had a reasonably fun campaign provided you didn't play it alone. There was just more stuff to do in Brawl, that's why I prefer it.

No Caption Provided
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Doctorchimp

As long as Goku, a Gundam and Heihachi are in it I'll probably buy it...

Actually no, I won't.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#14  Edited By ArbitraryWater

My only response to this is "What". I literally don't know how to react to this information.

Also, I really liked Brawl, but that was before I got competent at real fighting games. I dunno. As long as the single player is as amazing/insane as that one, I will be on board. Could not give a shit about competitive viability because I still consider competitive Smash Bros to be the most counter-intuitive application of a game ever. At least competitive Pokemon legitimately has those hooks under the surface and doesn't exclude 50% of the game to be viable.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#15  Edited By StarvingGamer

Could be cool.

I look forward to months of continually checking the Smash Dojo for updates.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@ArbitraryWater said:

My only response to this is "What". I literally don't know how to react to this information.

Also, I really liked Brawl, but that was before I got competent at real fighting games. I dunno. As long as the single player is as amazing/insane as that one, I will be on board. Could not give a shit about competitive viability because I still consider competitive Smash Bros to be the most counter-intuitive application of a game ever. At least competitive Pokemon legitimately has those hooks under the surface and doesn't exclude 50% of the game to be viable.

I agree with most of your post, but I still don't get why people compare Smash Bros. to "real fighting games" (what the hell is a real fighting game anyway?), this series was never intended to compete with games like Street Fighter and Tekken. It's like comparing Mario Kart to Gran Turismo.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By Jazz_Lafayette

Oh, man. I hope this doesn't mean they're trying to turn SSB into a full-on fighting game. 'Cause I fucking hate those. Or more accurately, they fucking hate me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.