Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros.

Franchise »

The Super Smash Bros. series is Nintendo's premier fighting series, featuring many characters from Nintendo's most popular games as well as third-party characters.

Super Smash Bros. Double Skirmish - would it work?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

Super Smash Bros. is one of the very best and most loved Nintendo series, yet there is still no handheld version of the game.  I don't believe that there is any good reason for that.  

Fighters work on the DS.  Jump Ultimate Stars, Bleach and Ninja Gaiden for example.  The 2 screens would be perfect for the one large screen effect, moving up and down through both.  The cast of characters should need no trimming, as the DS is very capable of handling a large number of them.  Even the modes available in Brawl shouldn't be an issue, but as long as the had the real guts of the game, I don't think any of us would care.

Online would be a breeze.  They have a very good one for Jump Ultimate Stars and Smash Bros. would work easily as well.  It would be a massive seller in my view, so why doesn't Nintendo do it?  I'm stumped.  Who else is craving some mini Smash Bros. action?

What about the name?  Double Skirmish - sound all right, or do you have a better one?
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Linkyshinks

Your right, it would be a great title to have on the DS. For the reasons you already mention, I see no reason why Nintendo have not created such a game.

The DSi could handle it a online component well with it's improved RAM (16mb, as opposed to 4mb). it would help with all such online functionality.

Perhaps Sakurai has it in the works, I would certainly like to think so.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool
    Linkyshinks said:
    "Your right, it would be a great title to have on the DS. For the reasons you already mention, I see no reason why Nintendo have not created such a game.The DSi could handle it a online component well with it's improved RAM (16mb, as opposed to 4mb). it would help with all such online functionality.Perhaps Sakurai has it in the works, I would certainly like to think so."
    They would have to be poor business people to not have worked it through, and I don't think they are.  This is a game that should sell in excess of 10 million units.  That is a shitload of profit begging to be made.  They owe us that game :-)
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#4  Edited By AgentJ
    Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Black_Rose

I can only see it working if it's 2D...otherwise, i'm not sure.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By AgentJ
    Black_Rose said:
    "I can only see it working if it's 2D...otherwise, i'm not sure."
    Thats fine with me. I'd love to see the sprites Nintendo would make for such a game!
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
    Black_Rose said:
    I couldn't agree more.  The whole game pretty much plays out in a 2D plane anymore.  As long as the characters were animated well, it would be better in 2D.  3D for the sake of 3D is stupid.  The game would run smoother and they could fit a tonne more stuff into it - characters, levels and modes.  No reason they couldn't get a level editor into it as well, probably better than Brawls.
    coughlanio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By coughlanio

They could do 3D similar to New Super Mario Bros.?

It should be called Super Smash Bros: Dual Smash because the environment will extend over the two screens :D

EDIT: Did a quick mockup :P

No Caption Provided

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AgentJ
    TotallyEpic said:
    "They could do 3D similar to New Super Mario Bros.?

It should be called Super Smash Bros: Dual Smash because the environment will extend over the two screens :D

EDIT: Did a quick mockup :P

No Caption Provided
    "
    Thats clever!
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By dsplayer1010
    AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AgentJ

How dare you accuse me of using a shameless plug?!?!?!? <<, 

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Godwind

It is possible to do.  However, I doubt they would do it.  It would probably be Super Smash Bros. 64 quality in terms of content delivery with the smaller memory.  Granted, a DS cart can store  256 megabytes, more than most devices N64 carts at the time of the Nintendo 64.

But here is the problem.

There is the unspoken obligation to have online matches and local matches.
    Then there is the need for a "deep" single player mode.
    Then of course there is the obligation to exceed the standards of its predecessors.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
    Godwind said:
    "It is possible to do.  However, I doubt they would do it.  It would probably be Super Smash Bros. 64 quality in terms of content delivery with the smaller memory.  Granted, a DS cart can store  256 megabytes, more than most devices N64 carts at the time of the Nintendo 64.But here is the problem.There is the unspoken obligation to have online matches and local matches.Then there is the need for a "deep" single player mode.Then of course there is the obligation to exceed the standards of its predecessors."
    I don't see that being a problem.  If they can make a quality Super Mario 64, then why not Super Smash Bros?  It only has to be as good and they are clever enough to make it even better.

It is a killer app waiting to be made.
    coughlanio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By coughlanio
    oldschool said:
    "Godwind said:
    "It is possible to do.  However, I doubt they would do it.  It would probably be Super Smash Bros. 64 quality in terms of content delivery with the smaller memory.  Granted, a DS cart can store  256 megabytes, more than most devices N64 carts at the time of the Nintendo 64.But here is the problem.There is the unspoken obligation to have online matches and local matches.Then there is the need for a "deep" single player mode.Then of course there is the obligation to exceed the standards of its predecessors."
    I don't see that being a problem.  If they can make a quality Super Mario 64, then why not Super Smash Bros?  It only has to be as good and they are clever enough to make it even better.

It is a killer app waiting to be made.
    "
    I was thinking about it, and they will definitely release it, but I think it will be more towards the end of the system's life cycle, to help spur hardware sales....
    r3b3lr0b0t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By r3b3lr0b0t

mock'd :)

No Caption Provided

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By oldschool
    r3b3lr0b0t said:
    "mock'd :)

No Caption Provided

"
    That is probably more likely, but I would rather they moved through both screens - maybe book style like Ninja Gaiden.
    coughlanio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By coughlanio
    oldschool said:
    "r3b3lr0b0t said:

No Caption Provided

"
    That is probably more likely, but I would rather they moved through both screens - maybe book style like Ninja Gaiden.
    "

Exactly, with destructable environments, where you have to break down to the bottom screen or vice versa...
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By crunchUK

No because it would create an epidemic of broken touch screens 800 times worse than RROD.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By Systech

I've been wanting that too. I think it would work.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Dalai
    Black_Rose said:
    I think 2D sprite brawling goodness would be the best way to go.  Don't see why it can't happen.
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#21  Edited By dsplayer1010
    oldschool said:
    "r3b3lr0b0t said:

No Caption Provided

"
    "
    Why would you want it book style? Then You'd have to use touch controls, which I don't think would well suit this game.
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By oldschool
    dsplayer1010 said:
    "oldschool said:
    That is probably more likely, but I would rather they moved through both screens - maybe book style like Ninja Gaiden."
    Why would you want it book style? Then You'd have to use touch controls, which I don't think would well suit this game."
    I am not saying I do, just 'maybe'.  It can work well, but I would prefer regular style playing through both screens.  Those parts of the game are great where you move up and down.
    Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
    Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

That is a very good idea. It would also be great for meeting up with friend. I would pull my DS back out for it.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Synthballs

To ressurect an old thread, I'd like it and its something that would possibly sell more DS units.

I wouldn't mind it sprite based, and not story book style like Ninja Gaiden. Also, No Stylus.

Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Emilio

Old post is old, but I would like to see more fighting games on the DS. 

I'm surprised that Capcom hasn't released one, because I feel like they could put out a really great Street Fighter or new Final Fight on the DS.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.