Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Smash Bros.

Franchise »

The Super Smash Bros. series is Nintendo's premier fighting series, featuring many characters from Nintendo's most popular games as well as third-party characters.

Super Smash Bros. The Next Generation - Day 18

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

Edited By DrRandle

Short circuited by the Scamp! Panic at the Holo-deck!

Another fresh batch of speculation and wishful thinking for your enjoyment.

The Vete-rodent - Pikachu

Ol' Cheap-a-chu. Favored by newcomers for his surprisingly devastating Thunder attack, and pinchable cheeks, this yellowed vermin makes everybody's lives just a little more difficult. I say it's time to nerf his cute little tail off. Bring him down a few pegs. And also give him more outfits for costumes, like his WorldChampionship costumes.

The Newcomer - Bowser Jr.

More than just a simple Bowser clone, Bowser Jr. would be a devilishly delinquint addition to a roster of goody-two-shoes. Armed with a paintbrush and a temper the size of an air-ship, this little scamp could be an interestingly floaty-yet-heavy character. The paintbrush could act like a spear for most combat, but also serve to paint traps on the floors, or even open up a black hole as a Final Smash. Perhaps he could even have an ability that turns him into Shadow Mario, giving him a change-up in his move list and making him fight more like Mario. That kind of flexibility in his fighting style might help give him an edge, while never really being 'two characters in one' like Sheik/Zelda. Plus, it's canonical, so it makes sense.

For alternate costumes, I'm enjoying the idea of him being decked out in his Super Mario Strikers: Chargedgear, which makes him look significantly more brutish.

Metroid Other M - The Bottle Ship

Few times, she's been around that deck. But she ain't no holo-deck girl. Metroid - Other M is the only Metroid game that's come out since the last Smash Bros., although Metroid Prime 3: Corruption was ignored pretty much entirely. With that in mind, I still felt that the hologram deck of the Bottle Ship could make for a unique stage. The stage could fluxuate from high-tech filled Jungle, to a desert landscape, or a snowy terrain. With this shift, similar to Pokemon Stadium, comes new platforms and hazards. While shifting it could look something like this. The idea is more about how this stage can be visually entertaining while remaining structured nearly identical. Besides, it's either this or we go for the easy answer of "the scene where you fight Ridley, adding in a couple of pass-through platforms, and making the space-dragon himself a stage hazard." It's not a bad idea, it's just the easy one.

Music for the Holodeck

Metroid Other M - Debriefing

Metroid fans of old will appreciate this callback to Super Metroid.

Metroid Other M - Ridley Batttle

People can say what they will about Metroid Other M, but if that game did one thing better than all the other games it was the Ridley theme.

Super Metroid - Upper Brinstar

A personal favorite from Super Metroid, I'm surprised it hasn't been used for Smash yet.

Metroid Fusion - Ishtar, Gedo Battle

A little love to my favorite 2D Metroid, Fusion's soundtrack didn't really strike as memorable in a lot of places, but when it did, it did well.

Metroid Prime 3 - Battle with Rundas

Excellent, excellent use of music for a battle. This song stands as one of the best battle themes in a video game, period.

Any Metroid tracks you feel I missed? What's your preference for a Metroid stage. I've got one more in my hat, so keep an eye out for it!

-Make it a good one.

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By DrRandle

Short circuited by the Scamp! Panic at the Holo-deck!

Another fresh batch of speculation and wishful thinking for your enjoyment.

The Vete-rodent - Pikachu

Ol' Cheap-a-chu. Favored by newcomers for his surprisingly devastating Thunder attack, and pinchable cheeks, this yellowed vermin makes everybody's lives just a little more difficult. I say it's time to nerf his cute little tail off. Bring him down a few pegs. And also give him more outfits for costumes, like his WorldChampionship costumes.

The Newcomer - Bowser Jr.

More than just a simple Bowser clone, Bowser Jr. would be a devilishly delinquint addition to a roster of goody-two-shoes. Armed with a paintbrush and a temper the size of an air-ship, this little scamp could be an interestingly floaty-yet-heavy character. The paintbrush could act like a spear for most combat, but also serve to paint traps on the floors, or even open up a black hole as a Final Smash. Perhaps he could even have an ability that turns him into Shadow Mario, giving him a change-up in his move list and making him fight more like Mario. That kind of flexibility in his fighting style might help give him an edge, while never really being 'two characters in one' like Sheik/Zelda. Plus, it's canonical, so it makes sense.

For alternate costumes, I'm enjoying the idea of him being decked out in his Super Mario Strikers: Chargedgear, which makes him look significantly more brutish.

Metroid Other M - The Bottle Ship

Few times, she's been around that deck. But she ain't no holo-deck girl. Metroid - Other M is the only Metroid game that's come out since the last Smash Bros., although Metroid Prime 3: Corruption was ignored pretty much entirely. With that in mind, I still felt that the hologram deck of the Bottle Ship could make for a unique stage. The stage could fluxuate from high-tech filled Jungle, to a desert landscape, or a snowy terrain. With this shift, similar to Pokemon Stadium, comes new platforms and hazards. While shifting it could look something like this. The idea is more about how this stage can be visually entertaining while remaining structured nearly identical. Besides, it's either this or we go for the easy answer of "the scene where you fight Ridley, adding in a couple of pass-through platforms, and making the space-dragon himself a stage hazard." It's not a bad idea, it's just the easy one.

Music for the Holodeck

Metroid Other M - Debriefing

Metroid fans of old will appreciate this callback to Super Metroid.

Metroid Other M - Ridley Batttle

People can say what they will about Metroid Other M, but if that game did one thing better than all the other games it was the Ridley theme.

Super Metroid - Upper Brinstar

A personal favorite from Super Metroid, I'm surprised it hasn't been used for Smash yet.

Metroid Fusion - Ishtar, Gedo Battle

A little love to my favorite 2D Metroid, Fusion's soundtrack didn't really strike as memorable in a lot of places, but when it did, it did well.

Metroid Prime 3 - Battle with Rundas

Excellent, excellent use of music for a battle. This song stands as one of the best battle themes in a video game, period.

Any Metroid tracks you feel I missed? What's your preference for a Metroid stage. I've got one more in my hat, so keep an eye out for it!

-Make it a good one.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 22

#2  Edited By jacksukeru

So yeah I found and read your blogs again, there's a lot to catch up and comment on so here we go, RANT TIME!

Let's start off with the characters relevant to this blog in particular. Pikachu, I think, is pretty much fine as he is, I've always found his recovery a bit hard to control and kind of useless for offense though. I'd love for that to have a bit more punch, or less recovery time, making hitting and running more viable. Anyway I'm happy so long as he gets to keep his blue googles, they were always my favorite.

Bowser Junior with his magic paintbrush seems a good choice I think, good for giving him some range and maybe for setting traps, I could really see that working. I think that if he could transform into Shadow Mario it should be a time limited ability with a bit of a cooldown, sort of like how R.O.B. and Wario had abilities that needed to recharge. The ability would make him a bit lighter and a lot faster, useful when bolting from a fight, or pursuing an opponent. He would still have his brush and use similar attacks, but wouldn't be able to use his specials. The ability would last for around 5 seconds and have a cooldown of around 20.

Now, I like love StarTropics (sequel was kind of crap) and would love to see Michael again, even as an assist trophy (which I like, they were like pokeballs just with Nintendo characters, a really great idea) jamming bananas in his ears. The thought of him being similar to Ness because of his bat and jojo has definetly occured to me when playing as him, this must be partly to them being popular videogame weapons from that era and partly because as a character Mike is pretty generic.

So I say update him! Pull a Kid Icarus and go somewhere wild is appearence or hairdo, make his weapon the Supernova (the final weapon of Startropics) and make it onto a kind of energy disc jojo that comes out from a mark in his hand. Give him some of his more unusual sub weapons, like the spike shoes or the Asterisk/twin-shuriken. His Final Smash would be Vitamin X, I'm thinking it will heal all his damage, make his skin redish and maybe make him a bit faster for a while, but I'm open to suggestions.

I think more trainers that follow the same formula as the Pokemon Trainer could be a neat idea, just mix up which types of the starters are the different evolutions, get second and fifth gen in there why dont'cha. I doubt N would be in the game though, which would be a shame since I think he looks cool.

I also doubt Isaac from Golden Sun will make it into the next games, but that's because his son Matthew would be a way more relevant choice from that franchise these days. With the way Dark Dawn ended there's no doubt in my mind that we'll be seeing a new Golden Sun on the 3DS eventually so that makes me doubly confident that this would be the case. Either way, I feel like any of the Golden Sun characters would be a good fit for a new recruit. Their special mix of magic, summonings and "psychic powers shaped like big hands" give them a huge pool of possible, and unique, attacks to chose from.

Well this is getting long so I'll just save some of it for your next blog. I'll just end by saying that while I have some reservations on calling KI:Uprising a great game, the music is F'n amazing!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.