So I made a Game Center game

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By koolaid

Hey duders.    When Game Center for the iPhone came out a few weeks ago, me and a few friends decided to update this iPhone game we made as a student project and add fancy multiplayer support.   And the end result, in my opinion, is pretty sweet.   The game is called Stack and Deploy and it's a digital trading card game with real time strategy elements.   It's what you get when you take some dudes who really like playing Magic the Gathering and Starcraft and have them make a game.   And now that you can play against friends over 3G, it feels like the competitive game we always wanted it to be. 

I'd be super stoked if some of you iPhone users would give Stack and Deploy a try.  It's totally free to download and play.  I'd just like some real gamer feedback and GB is one of the only gaming sites I feel that has the Real Talk.  So let me know what you think!  My game center email is abrozek@ucsc.edu if you want to challenge me to some stack.  

Oh, and we made a short commercial for it, because we like coming up with stupid video ideas during our pint nights. 

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Driadon

....DUDE! Not only does the game sound awesome, but that 90's styled ad totally won my heart. 

Downloading it as we speak. 

Edit: Well, I was going to download it, until it said that it needs OpenGL and my iPod Touch is having none of that :(

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By nohthink
@KoolAid: looks pretty cool. Cool enough to convince me to try. Good job :)
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 16

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

Free you say??? 

I need an iphone.  :(

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By koolaid
@Driadon:  I'm glad you got the vibe we were going for.  We based off this oldie but goodie:

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jack268

After I made a game center account it crashes at the menu every time. Sorry brozo.

buwchbach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By buwchbach

Downloading this right now!

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By lebkin

Sucks it isn't compatible with my old iPod Touch. =(

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By koolaid

Hmmm.  I've never had crashing with our game, but I have had it with others.  I'm pretty sure if you turn the iPhone off and then on again, it fixes the problems with most crashing games.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Driadon

Okay, well, at my grad today I got a new iPod, so the first thing I did with the damn thing is download this game. First thing: Love it! Though there's a couple bugs if you downlaod the game and don't restart it crashes at the menu. It also seems to have a bug where it will go to a white screen if I cancel out of matchmaking.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Afroman269

Just got it.

Avatar image for suicidalsnowman
SuicidalSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12  Edited By SuicidalSnowman

Downloading now...

Avatar image for suicidalsnowman
SuicidalSnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By SuicidalSnowman
@KoolAid:  

It also took me a restart of my iPhone 3GS to get it working.  So far, I have played through the tutorial.  Game seems pretty awesome in concept.  Here is my major, major complaint though.  Since it is all done by dragged, it gets difficult to see what you are doing behind your thumb/finger that is doing the dragging.  Specifically, when attaching a ship to a commander, and when sending ships to attack, it gets very difficult to read the key numbers on damage, HP, AP, etc.  My suggestion would be to allow played to touch a ship once to select, then touch somewhere else to send them.  

Otherwise, seems good so far.  I am struggling a little with some of the text.  The tutorial is very, very strong, especially for an independently developed game.  The concept seems nice on its face, I feel like I have a basic understanding of how to play, but I can also see where there might be some real depth. 

i'll write more as I spend more time with it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.