Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Apple Inc.

Company »

Apple Inc., originally Apple Computer, is a computer company founded in 1977 by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. Famous for creating and owning both the software and hardware of their computers, they pursued this strategy in other consumer products, with the most notable being the iPod and iPhone.

Apple console possibilities?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By Dalai

Some time ago, Apple had their sights on the gaming industry... handhelds and consoles were on the agenda.  I think many of us laughed back then, but now the iPhone has become the new talk of the town with its growing lineup of games.  The DS is getting a bit jealous now of the talk the iPhone has been getting.

I am convinced now that Apple will once again dabble in console gaming with a Pippin 2 of sorts... God help us if they made a Pippin 2.  No way will they make that mistake again... they'll put a lot of thought into this one, except for the name, maybe.  The iPad, perhaps?  The iGame or iBox... or iWii?  Eh, who knows.  What I know is Apple has a lot of resources at their disposal and I expect a next-gen console from Apple to be loaded with goodies like an iPod dock or iPhone connectivity... iTunes on your console?  Could happen.  Trust me, Apple could totally rival Microsoft at their online game, rival Sony in multimedia apps, and maybe even rival Nintendo in gaming innovation.

Apple, next-gen could be yours if you don't relive the sins of the past and be the Apple you have been the past few years.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#1  Edited By Dalai

Some time ago, Apple had their sights on the gaming industry... handhelds and consoles were on the agenda.  I think many of us laughed back then, but now the iPhone has become the new talk of the town with its growing lineup of games.  The DS is getting a bit jealous now of the talk the iPhone has been getting.

I am convinced now that Apple will once again dabble in console gaming with a Pippin 2 of sorts... God help us if they made a Pippin 2.  No way will they make that mistake again... they'll put a lot of thought into this one, except for the name, maybe.  The iPad, perhaps?  The iGame or iBox... or iWii?  Eh, who knows.  What I know is Apple has a lot of resources at their disposal and I expect a next-gen console from Apple to be loaded with goodies like an iPod dock or iPhone connectivity... iTunes on your console?  Could happen.  Trust me, Apple could totally rival Microsoft at their online game, rival Sony in multimedia apps, and maybe even rival Nintendo in gaming innovation.

Apple, next-gen could be yours if you don't relive the sins of the past and be the Apple you have been the past few years.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By brukaoru

iPad, lol. AppleBox!

Although competition is a good thing, I think having 4 consoles on the market, plus two more if you add the PSP and DS, is hard enough to keep up with in terms of games. If Apple made a console, I can't really see where many people would be interested unless they somehow managed to get major exclusive titles to their system that people were eager to play.

clarke0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By clarke0

The Wii is basically what I think Apple would make. The only good games are first-party, the system has the worst hardware and is very expensive for what you get. It's also the most durable and reliable of the consoles.

coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By coakroach

Apple should focus on working with valve to make a good, reliable gaming PC with full steam support
    I think they could make something effing awesome if they worked together

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By daniel_beck_90

if Apple do so it will lose

siLVUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By siLVUR

No because gamers don't just want a nice looking  console, they want a console that can actually do something besides tell itself it looks pretty. Not to mention gamers don't want to oggle it mindlessly thinking what they think they can do with it because it's a console but only to see it can't because it's just not the same. In the end, gamers with an Apple console can only look back and wonder if that weird smell coming from the melting material of the console will cause cancer.

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bjorno
    siLVUR said:
    "No because gamers don't just want a nice looking  console, they want a console that can actually do something besides tell itself it looks pretty. Not to mention gamers don't want to oggle it mindlessly thinking what they think they can do with it because it's a console but only to see it can't because it's just not the same. In the end, gamers with an Apple console can only look back and wonder if that weird smell coming from the melting material of the console will cause cancer."
    Quality post, +1 COOL POINT.
    Brontes_Muse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Brontes_Muse

I think apple actually already has a console out, the Apple TV.  It does everything the MS and Sony wished their consoles achieved, streaming music movies and podcast to the living room in a functional way. Just it doesn't have games yet.  I'm sure we'll see downloadable casual games on it soon.  Just wait.  

Their going after the super casual market.  
    DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By DJ_Lae

I don't think they'll bother with a console - the iPhone and iPod Touch have garnered enough attention in the four months that the app store has been out, especially now that they're getting ports of previous handheld games like Puzzle Quest (which looks on par with the PSP version with the better control scheme of the DS version). I'm excited to see what other sort of titles are released - Square has some of their previously Japanese-only mobile games and there's no reason they couldn't port DS games with better graphics.

I'd love to see things like Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, or Elite Beat Agents, all of which would work perfectly on an iPhone and allow for much greater detail due to the higher resolution of the screen compared to the DS.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By get2sammyb

I think an Apple console is highly likely. In fact I believe they'll try and make a system with download-only games. It may be a bit early for it to be possible yet though. But I totally expect an iStore (more central system for some kind of hub, linking your games, movies, music, books, etc.)

Plasticworld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Plasticworld

I would really enjoy this sort of thing.

Bonesofwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bonesofwar

If Apple did make a console, it would most likely be the most pretentious  thing ever. Then again, Apple has been known to do some really pretty things with graphics.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PureRok

Yea, well... Apple sucks.

DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DualReaver

iGame sounds pretty fucking badass.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#15  Edited By Geno

The only thing that Apple does good is iPods, its OS and hardware design is awful (they're about 4-5 years behind in terms of gaming, perhaps it's because they only JUST introduced nonintegrated graphics), therefore I don't think they'd be very successful with a console. Plus the Wii already has control of the "I don't know what this is but it's shiny and it's white and I like shiny white things" market.

Brontes_Muse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Brontes_Muse

Geno;

I don't mean to start a message board war, but apple has used non integrated graphic chips for a long time.  In the 80's they used the first non integrated graphics cards, and floating point processors, almost 6 years before they became standard components in "personal" PCs.  They used NuBus slots, but in the early 90's they moved to the PCI standard.   Macbook pro's have run a non-integrated graphic card since they debuted (As Powerbooks in 1994), and have offered both NVIDIA and ATI options.  

You may be confused because recently apple has switched it's integrated graphical chipset.  Before they where using the basic intel chip set that most inexpensive PC notebooks use.  Ho ever apple asked NVIDIA to develop a super powerful, low energy INTEGRATED chipset.  It uses very little power and is 5 times fast than the intel chipset.  (According to apple, however most 3rd party bench marks rate it 3-4 times faster.)  What's even more impressive is that it has about 60% of the performance of NVIDIAs fastest non integrated mobile chip, at a fraction of the battery consumption.  What's most impressive is that they put this in their less expensive mac book line.  The Macbook Pro uses it too, and a non integrated card as well.  

I agree with you, that macs don't have a lot of games.  But trust me when I say it's not because of being 4-5 years behind on hardware.  It has a lot to do with the fact that to program for a mac you have to use a language called Objective C,  While windows uses a couple different types of C programing languages. (C#, C+, C++, and others)    Objective C is a pretty tricky language, but it offers better management of memory, and can split up tasks to multiple processors easier.  However when programing a 3D game, objective C can be tedious.   So a lot of games when they final come to the mac a year or two late behave awkwardly, because the game is programed in C++ and is just being basically emulated on a mac.  

Because of my job I run a Mac, I don't think macs are better than PCs.  Because they're not.   But I don't think PCs are so much better than macs either.  To each their own, you know. 

PS Apple will never enter the home console market, with anything more than a box like apple TV.
    Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Captain_Fookup
    Brontes_Muse said:
    "Geno;

I don't mean to start a message board war, but apple has used non integrated graphic chips for a long time.  In the 80's they used the first non integrated graphics cards, and floating point processors, almost 6 years before they became standard components in "personal" PCs.  They used NuBus slots, but in the early 90's they moved to the PCI standard.   Macbook pro's have run a non-integrated graphic card since they debuted (As Powerbooks in 1994), and have offered both NVIDIA and ATI options.  

Recently apple has switched it's integrated graphical chipset.  Before they where using the basic intel chip set that most inexpensive PC notebooks use.  NVIDIA developed for them a super powerful, low energy INTEGRATED chipset.  It uses very little power and is 5 times fast than the intel chipset.  (According to apple, however most 3rd party bench marks rate it 3-4 times faster.)  What's even more impressive is that it has about 60% of the performance of NVIDIAs fastest non integrated mobile chip, at a fraction of the battery consumption.  What's most impressive is that they put this in their less expensive mac book line.  The Macbook Pro uses it to, and a non integrated card as well.  

I agree with you, that macs don't have a lot of games.  But trust me when I say it's not because of being 4-5 years behind on hardware.  It has a lot to do with the fact that to program for a mac you have to use a language called Objective C,  While windows uses a couple different types of C programing languages. (C#, C+, C++, and others)    Objective C is a pretty tricky language, but it offers better management of memory, and can split up tasks to multiple processors easier.  However when programing a 3D game, objective C can be tedious.   So a lot of games when they final come to the mac a year or two late behave awkwardly, because the game is programed in C++ and is just being basically emulated on a mac.  

Because of my job I run a Mac, I don't think macs are better than PCs.  Because they're not.   But I don't think PCs are so much better than macs either.  To each their own, you know. 

PS Apple will never enter the home console market, with anything more than a box like apple TV.
    "
    Took the words right out of my mouth Brontes.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LiquidPrince

iWii?

I like the sound of that XD

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LiquidPrince

iWii?

I like the sound of that XD

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By oldschool

I think that Apple should partner with Nintendo and bring out the most awesome consoles ever.  Won't happen even if it is a perfect match.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

What's with peoples beef with Apple? I've got a black MacBook, and it's by far the best computer I've ever owned/used. Anyways, I think that if Apple partnered with Nintendo something really interested would be born. 

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By wefwefasdf

Brontes Muse knows his stuff. :D

Seagull_Feeder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Seagull_Feeder
    Brontes_Muse said:

I'm glad that I've got the sims on my mac book.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.