Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Apple Inc.

Company »

Apple Inc., originally Apple Computer, is a computer company founded in 1977 by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. Famous for creating and owning both the software and hardware of their computers, they pursued this strategy in other consumer products, with the most notable being the iPod and iPhone.

Apple's iPad: Still Not A Game Machine

Kr3lian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#201  Edited By Kr3lian
    @cassus:  

I generally like Apple products, but after that post I am seriously reconsidering my position.

That was some seriously furious fanboy ejaculation right there.
    WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#202  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

So... a minimum $500 non-portable iPod Touch with a big screen and no-flash support or multi-tasking? Yeah that's useful.

It'll still sell like crazy, but I bet you don't see many people actually use the damn thing. It'll sit in the cupboard with the Sony AIBO and Tamagotchi that they also thought were a great purchase.

TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#203  Edited By TheAdmin

No Caption Provided
    just saying...
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#204  Edited By AndrewB
    @99X: But how awesome would it be to have a touchscreen Maxi pad? Really awesome.
    tmek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#205  Edited By tmek

I agree with Jeff and found a way to sum it up why the iPad seems so impractical to me:

It's a large screen web device that doesn't support the 'large screen web'.

No Hulu.  No streaming Netflix.  No GameTrailers.com or crazy drunken GiantBomb crew using Ustream.com to create an internet wormhole during Star Trek Online LIVE?! 

Worhtless! 

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By Buscemi

Nope, not into it at all.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#207  Edited By gike987

So people are trying to predict how much this will fail. Just like they did with netbooks, ipod, iphone and basically any new tech. Do people never learn?

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#208  Edited By Valkyr

This is going to fail, I don't see it being the next revolution like the iphone and the iphone, you can just buy a Macbook, which is pretty small, use MacOS and have a real computer, not a stupid giant ipod touch, even other netbooks are more practical than the ipad and some of them have touchscreens.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel that most of Apple's products are overpriced and overhyped for no good reason really.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
    deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or you could just get a netbook.

reviltihco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By reviltihco

Hmmm...  A bigger iPod Touch? That's a very simple way to describe the device. Seriously Jeff, I appraciate you and your opinions about video games but about other areas and technologies I think it's much better read the experts. No offense but there are other sites that analyze this device with deeper understanding of Apple and mobile technology and actually they had hands on it, so defining the iPad as a bigger iPod Touch is considered a lazy opinion.

Altough I agree they should chose better games to show. It's just for casual gaming, not for hardcore gamers.

haoshiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#212  Edited By haoshiro

Personally I think if you don't see how big of a deal iPad is then you really just don't get it.  No slight intended.  It's the perfect non-laptop in many ways.  It is great as a "wife computer", ie for casual users.  But not just that, it's perfect for casual use. 

I am a programmer, mostly web development but also applications (and even dipping into iPhone OS dev), so I use a computer ALL DAY and I will never replace my MacBook Pro with an iPad. 

However, if I wanted to flop onto the couch and read a book or check my e-mail, i'd love the iPad in that setting.   Heck, have it laying next to me while I'm playing my Xbox 360 or PS3 for quick web access (gamefaqs, cheaters) and e-mail. 

It's not for games (beyond Bejeweled, etc) although I do think Nova and some of the racers are decent mid-level game experiences.  It's for snapping onto the wall and looking at a recipe (which my wife tries to do awkwardly with her macbook already).  And I really think the web will be really nice on it as well (unless you are a hardcore forum junkie).  All it needed to be was a bigger ipod touch, and that is exactly what it is. 

Snap it onto the back of your seat and play a movie for the kids too, maybe having the wife in the passengers seat using the iphone as a remote?  It is a "lifestyle" device, the sort of thing that is perfect for everyone not like you and me 99% of the time... aka... most everyone else! ;)

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#213  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Haoshiro: 

There are already many Tablet netbooks on the market from a variety of Tier 1 and 2 manufactures ranging in price, functionality and nature (some have keyboars and work both as a standard laptop and tablet, some are just tablets with virtual keyboards and writing recognition) and all of them can play Flash and almost all the more recent models can handle 720p HD Video.  They also all have USB2, WiFi and most have bluetooth support, many with EDR2. There's nothing particularly clever, well designed (look at that fucking fat bezel) or even smart about the iPad.  It's late to the party and lacking in features which are standard for cheaper and more versatile devices.

I love how so far we've had a 'web developer' and a 'programmer' talk up the iPad in this thread using language and sentence structure which sounds eerily familiar and which reads as if was written by a prepubescent, slightly undereducated teen.
    haoshiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By haoshiro
    @SeriouslyNow: 

Ouch, really?  Prepubescent teen?  Your reply was fine without the immature jab at the end. 

My point was simply that the purpose and target of the product is being overlooked.  Yes there are other entries in this market (and until the iPad is actually released and being used discussion is merely theoretical), but it looks like a top quality contender. 

Look at the Kindle DX, same screen size and slightly taller, and a bit lighter, with 4GB of memory and a 16-shade grayscale display - all for $489.  That makes the iPad stand out at $499; especially with a full color IPS display. 

I suppose you could hate the bezel if you want as well, although I see it as practical.  With a touch screen you would want to be able to hold it and not be touching the screen. 
    Kr3lian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#215  Edited By Kr3lian

Well how about we put our money where our mouths are.  Well okay I guess we can't make real bets on Giantbomb, but anyone willing to go out on a limb and make a real prediction?  I'll say the iPad bombs like crazy in its first iteration, they make some real improvements for the next go around, then it will sell at about the level of a low end Macbook and level off at about there.

Skywarpgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#216  Edited By Skywarpgold

They should've just called it the IPod (pronounced Capital iPod)...then they could launch a whole new line of "Capital" products!

mbrewing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By mbrewing

it's a glorified iPod touch...ummm...good start, but who gives a crap?
    tricky69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By tricky69

SGC has been using this kinda technology for fucking years.  Apple are really slow...
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#219  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Haoshiro said:

" @SeriouslyNow:  Ouch, really?  Prepubescent teen?  You're reply was fine without the immature jab at the end.  My point was simply that the purpose and target of the product is being overlooked.  Yes there are other entries in this market (and until the iPad is actually released and being used discussion is merely theoretical), but it looks like a top quality contender.  Look at the Kindle DX, same screen size and slightly taller, and a bit lighter, with 4GB of memory and a 16-shade grayscale display - all for $489.  That makes the iPad stand out at $499; especially with a full color IPS display.  I suppose you could hate the bezel if you want as well, although I see it as practical.  With a touch screen you would want to be able to hold it and not be touching the screen.  "

*Your.  More prepubescent language fail.  As well as the carriage retun after 

each

sentence.  Adults don't write that way because they haven't grown up with the internet and message boards from childhood.  Programmers definitely do not write that way because indents as well as syntax and dataflow are things which are ingrained in them as part of the process of becoming a professional developer.  

But I digress.  The purpose of the target of the iPad is overlooked?  By who exactly?  Not the IHVs (go look up what that means if you don't know Mr Programmer) because I have a tablet PC from a Tier 1 manufacturer here right in front of me which was brand new in  2002 and it wasn't the only model or brand of its type.  The customers overlooked the target market then?  No that couldn't be true because Tablet PCs have been in use since before the Apple Newton, some even made by Tier 3 manufacturers like Amstrad and sold as PDAs as far back as 1992 and most of the modern (2000 onwards) Tablet PCs outstrip the iPad's capabilities so that would be IHVs building them to specs which the garners favourable response from the customer base.  Sure it's true that the Kindle DX is overpriced in comparison to the base iPad, but then the Kindle DX uses e-ink display technology which gives it much longer battery usage and standby modes because it's only powering a 16-shade grayscale screen and a decidedly simpler chipset vs the iPad 16.7million coloiur, backlit display and much more powerful and complex chipset.  Also the Kindle's library is bigger and the e-books are often cheaper than the Apple supplied, DRM protected versions.  However if you're going to make dollar for dollar comparisons then be prepared for the iPad to be flattened by many netbook and net tablet PC in similar price ranges which are more fully featured than the iPad. 

You may have well convinced yourself of the iPad's value but you won't convince me.
    kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#220  Edited By kagato

I dont know how usefull this would be to me personally or professionally.  I work in the IT department of one of the larger banks and they keep pushing stuff like this onto my desk (we had an iphone trial a few months back) trying to interface it with the stuff we already have.  Its not customisable, its not upgradeable and if it breaks it has to be back to Apple to fix....  Theres also the issue of it not being able to run flash, not a huge issue except most of the sites our employees use on our internal web pages need that just to open up.  Fine for the Wii market probably of non tech folk but as a gamer and an IT professional this looks like a jump back to me.

Von

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By Von

Well, I'm getting one. I already use my iPhone to read eBooks, watch movies and surf around a bit before I go to sleep. Having  a dedicated device for this on my bedstand is going to be great. That I can play the occasional iPhone game on it is just an added bonus (Broken Sword, Simon the Sorcerer etc is something I really look forward to play on it for example).

Brontes_Muse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#222  Edited By Brontes_Muse
    @BenderUnit22: 10 hours they say
    Brontes_Muse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By Brontes_Muse
    @orionw: Don't think of it as a computer, think of it as a book.  It's not going to leave your house much.  It's not really portable per see,  It's designed to be handled.  But instead of using you tv when you get home, you sit down on the couch and grab the ipad, like it's a book.  No key board, no mouse, direct manipulation.  Not hunched forward over a desk like I am now, but in a couch maxing and relaxing.  The news is not that you can surf the web or read books on it.  It's about how it feels to surf the web and read books on it.  

In the most comfortable couch you have, in the most comfortable room.  Not hunched over a laptop, but laying on your back, like reading a book.  
    Daniel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#224  Edited By Daniel

I may have to get one of these despite it not being a great gaming device

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#225  Edited By Whisperkill

I'd get it for other reasons, $500 is a nice price.

The possibilities of the apps is what gets me. But it would be better if it had an external port.

Brontes_Muse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#226  Edited By Brontes_Muse

I think you guys don't quite understand the potential of this product.  

Avatar image for 10_yard_fighter
    10_yard_fighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By 10_yard_fighter

The world is still buzzing about the Newton. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.