Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Apple Inc.

Company »

Apple Inc., originally Apple Computer, is a computer company founded in 1977 by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. Famous for creating and owning both the software and hardware of their computers, they pursued this strategy in other consumer products, with the most notable being the iPod and iPhone.

Could Apple Ever Make a Good Console?

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

Edited By Skald

No Caption Provided

Could Apple really make a video game console? I mean, a good one?

A certain VP at EA seems to think that Apple could conceivably do it. Naturally, that got me thinking. Seeing as though they have several billion dollars more than they know what to do with and a pretty robust content delivery system already in place, I think they could. Easily.

Now I know what you detractors are thinking: Apple already tried this before, and the Pippin was probably the worst thing ever. Well that’s true, but Apple is a whole different company now. While living in Microsoft’s shadow, the company constantly tried to break out into new markets, their efforts were usually met with varying degrees of failure.

That is, until they released the product that would put one thousand songs in the pockets of people all over the world: the iPod. Riding high on their new found success, they started pushing many successful products and services out the door: MacBooks, iMacs, iPhones, iTunes and iPads to name a very alliterative few. Right now iOS is one of the most popular mobile operating systems in the world, and the App Store is probably its most important feature, after all, it is the only way to get extra functionality on your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad.

That’s where an updated line of Apple TVs would come in. Why not slap some additional storage on it, connect it to an App Store, and call it a day? From there, they could buy up some big names in video games (Why not just buy out EA?) or they could contract some indie developers like Microsoft did with WinMo7 (People love Rovio and HalfBrick) hype the product’s launch, and just get people to buy it. The great part about the App Store is that the success is propagated by its own success. More customers equals more developers equals more customers equals more profit, particularly for Apple who will presumably take at least a 30% cut on everything that goes through the App Store.

Sure, you might not like the sound of this casual-friendly console, but in a market where the Wii is astoundingly successful, why shouldn’t they give it a shot?   

Oh, and don't forget that Nintendo is already more afraid of Apple than Microsoft. That's got to count for something.
    Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Skald

No Caption Provided

Could Apple really make a video game console? I mean, a good one?

A certain VP at EA seems to think that Apple could conceivably do it. Naturally, that got me thinking. Seeing as though they have several billion dollars more than they know what to do with and a pretty robust content delivery system already in place, I think they could. Easily.

Now I know what you detractors are thinking: Apple already tried this before, and the Pippin was probably the worst thing ever. Well that’s true, but Apple is a whole different company now. While living in Microsoft’s shadow, the company constantly tried to break out into new markets, their efforts were usually met with varying degrees of failure.

That is, until they released the product that would put one thousand songs in the pockets of people all over the world: the iPod. Riding high on their new found success, they started pushing many successful products and services out the door: MacBooks, iMacs, iPhones, iTunes and iPads to name a very alliterative few. Right now iOS is one of the most popular mobile operating systems in the world, and the App Store is probably its most important feature, after all, it is the only way to get extra functionality on your iPhone, iPod touch or iPad.

That’s where an updated line of Apple TVs would come in. Why not slap some additional storage on it, connect it to an App Store, and call it a day? From there, they could buy up some big names in video games (Why not just buy out EA?) or they could contract some indie developers like Microsoft did with WinMo7 (People love Rovio and HalfBrick) hype the product’s launch, and just get people to buy it. The great part about the App Store is that the success is propagated by its own success. More customers equals more developers equals more customers equals more profit, particularly for Apple who will presumably take at least a 30% cut on everything that goes through the App Store.

Sure, you might not like the sound of this casual-friendly console, but in a market where the Wii is astoundingly successful, why shouldn’t they give it a shot?   

Oh, and don't forget that Nintendo is already more afraid of Apple than Microsoft. That's got to count for something.
    NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By NekuSakuraba

They could but I wouldn't want them to, the ones we have are good as it is. Also, I don't see an Apple console ever appealing to me because as you said, it would be a casual-friendly console.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.