Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Apple Inc.

Company »

Apple Inc., originally Apple Computer, is a computer company founded in 1977 by Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak. Famous for creating and owning both the software and hardware of their computers, they pursued this strategy in other consumer products, with the most notable being the iPod and iPhone.

The iPad Gets Tested!

• 82 results
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#51  Edited By Addfwyn

Curious how many of the naysayers have actually got to use one yet.  I withhold judgement until I get to play with one (won't be out here for another month or so) but every impression I've heard from people that have used it ranged from positive to absolutely glowing.  The only negative reviews I've seen are people that are hating it just because they think it's cool to hate Apple. 

I'd be more than happy to see a critical review from somebody that actually has one, but that may be a while before we see it.  

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By zityz

every time i look at that thing it reminds me of a large kodak e-picture frame.
    NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By NathHaw
    @Addfwyn said:

" Curious how many of the naysayers have actually got to use one yet.  I withhold judgement until I get to play with one (won't be out here for another month or so) but every impression I've heard from people that have used it ranged from positive to absolutely glowing.  The only negative reviews I've seen are people that are hating it just because they think it's cool to hate Apple.  I'd be more than happy to see a critical review from somebody that actually has one, but that may be a while before we see it.   "

Most of what I've seen is good.  Watched this live stream earlier from Scott Johnson, but I'll link the recorded here.

It's under the iPad first thoughts or whatever it's called.  The tested.com stuff is pretty useful as well.  

The iPad is what it is.  I want one, but I know that it is more of an unnecessary expenditure.
    Alphazero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 10

#54  Edited By Alphazero

I saw some folks from Tested wandering around Wondercon letting superheroes hold an iPad. They seemed enthused.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By fram

Don't underestimate the power of 'just a bigger screen.' Consider the positive impact that slightly bigger screens have for the DSi XL. The sheer size of the touchscreen could potentially enable some awesome RTS controls for instance.

That said, I'm still not getting one because: 

1. I'm broke 
    2. I'm eventually going to replace my iPhone with a Windows Phone 7 if it ends up being as good as it looks 
    3. If I absolutely had to get an Apple product, I'd go a Macbook Pro, so I could at least do some serious video editing.
    Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#56  Edited By Hef

No 3G, slow loading times and no flash support.  Why even bother launching this model.  I'd wait till the 3g enabled one comes out at the end of the month if i was even going to get it, but now i know that I'm almost never going to get one.  It's a bigger iphone that plays shitty iphone games.  Whoopdy-fucking-do.  The fact that millions of little apple drones are lining up for hours to get their fingers all over this smuggy crap makes me die a little inside.  If i wasn't a broke ass student and had money to throw away, i might buy one.  But until that day arrives, I'd like to see what neccesitated this foul creation aside from it being an obvious cash cow.  I mean "tablet PC" is a pretty flashy buzz word, so i bet lots of people are going to buy one.

Therefore i propose a challenge.  If i had an iphone and was already paying out the ass for that thing, what would you say to make me "upgrade" to an ipad.  Is it supposed to replace my phone, or PC?  Or is it designed to work alongside those deivces in some random niche that i've yet to discover.  WHY DOES IT EXIST!!

Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Jared

lol, it's great seeing all the negative comments from people who haven't even used one. I was skeptical as well but after playing with one at Best Buy today I was sold, the device is awesome. I work on computers all day, when I come home I want a different web browsing experience, the iPad does that. iPad haters can trash the device all they want due to no camera and no flash support and therefore point to other devices. There's only problem with those other tablets though, there just tablets without the app support and content support and it's the apps and content that make a tablet special and unique.

JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By JoeH
    @Jared: I agree it's always software that wins the Hardware war, it's why initially the 360 pulled ahead of the PS3 and why the DS has done better than the PSP. It's all in the software, if hardware has no software its like a blunt pencil, pointless.
    samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By samcotts

Tested = awesome.

Wilsony_82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By c1337us

Fuck the iPad.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By foggel
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " @MattyFTM said:
    " It keeps freezing on me. Stupid internet connection. "
    Hurray im not the only one. "
    Done. I'm not getting it.
    Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#63  Edited By Bollard
    @Jared said:

" lol, it's great seeing all the negative comments from people who haven't even used one. I was skeptical as well but after playing with one at Best Buy today I was sold, the device is awesome. I work on computers all day, when I come home I want a different web browsing experience, the iPad does that. iPad haters can trash the device all they want due to no camera and no flash support and therefore point to other devices. There's only problem with those other tablets though, there just tablets without the app support and content support and it's the apps and content that make a tablet special and unique. "

That's all well and good, but isn't flash like, core to the web browsing experience? If I'm going to browse the internet I don't want around 25% of it not working...
    Advertisement

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Advertisement

I missed the catch

SquadBroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By SquadBroken

Is it ironic that you couldn't actually watch this on your flashless iPad?

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#66  Edited By the8bitNacho

It's really popular around here to hate on popular things.

Osiris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Osiris
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @Osiris said:
    " Lets see, anyone with a laptop who uses it for browsing/chatting can buy this instead. Im definitely gonna buy one... one hell of an awesome device! "
    You could buy a netbook for a fraction of the price that can do far more. Honestly... WHY would you buy this? "
    In this day and age money really doesn't play that much of a role anymore, I mean look at the iPhone or iPod. Also, who the hell wants a netbook...  

@buckybit:  

Indeed Open Source is awesome, a lot of great things came out of it and the scene in general is really good. But it has definite disadvantageous todays industry, especially for the people who just want to buy a PC and use it for a simple thing as browsing. 
    Korone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Korone

Fuck the iPad. This thing had mad potential, but as it stands, it's just a big iPod touch.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#70  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Osiris said:

" @WinterSnowblind said:

" @Osiris said:
    " Lets see, anyone with a laptop who uses it for browsing/chatting can buy this instead. Im definitely gonna buy one... one hell of an awesome device! "
    You could buy a netbook for a fraction of the price that can do far more. Honestly... WHY would you buy this? "
    In this day and age money really doesn't play that much of a role anymore, I mean look at the iPhone or iPod. Also, who the hell wants a netbook...  "
    I use a netbook for work, it's easy to carry around and has a lot of great features.  I can run photoshop on it, listen to music, play games, surf the web and watch movies.
    And again, it cost a fraction of the price of the iPad.  So I ask, who the hell wants an iPad when you can buy something that can do everything it can better, for far less?

Anyone who's buying one, is doing so because they think it will make them cool.  Period.  The thing has no value beyond the brand.
    Niklas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#71  Edited By Niklas
    @WinterSnowblind: 

I would like to hear your opinion about watching YouTube videos on you netbook, because they are barely watchable on my netbook (Asus eee PC S101 btw),. As I understand it the iPad is at least capable of showing YouTube videos totally fluid. Unless you have a totally different experience with your netbook than me, I would say that " when you can buy something that can do everything it can better" is a bit of a stretch.
    theduke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By theduke

I'll wait for one that has OS X or for one of the future windows 7 tablets

Aldrenar47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Aldrenar47

.....OR you could just get a laptop.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#74  Edited By ch3burashka

I'd rather invest half-a-grand into a gaming rig.

Lambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Lambert

If you buy this over a netbook, you are officially a douchebag. But I guess most mactards are already idiots anyways.

Jerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By Jerr

It's just like the iPhone, except the screen is big enough to masturbate to.

Brontes_Muse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#77  Edited By Brontes_Muse
    @Tallica9000: @Tallica9000 said:
    " It's just like the iPhone, except the screen is big enough to masturbate to. "
    Oh, in that case let me get 4 of them.  
    BolognaSoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By BolognaSoup
    @Zounds said:
    " Its out already? I had forgot. Hooray for hindering the progress of technology and keeping 4:3 alive, I guess. "
    Except that's not 4:3 so...yeah........ 

LOL at all the ignorant, haven't actually used it, hate on this board.
    cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By cspiffo
    @BolognaSoup said:

" @Zounds said:

" Its out already? I had forgot. Hooray for hindering the progress of technology and keeping 4:3 alive, I guess. "

Except that's not 4:3 so...yeah........  LOL at all the ignorant, haven't actually used it, hate on this board. "

LOL @ the ignorant that calls others ignorant.   The Ipad screen is 1024X768 which is a 4:3 aspect ratio.  Anyway, I personally don't hate on the Ipad.  I just don't really see the practicality.  Is a professional really going to carry something that large around with them when they have a perfectly good Iphone/Smartphone?  It'll be nice for those that like to couch surf but I think Apple is overestimating that market.  I expect strong initial sales but I honestly don't think the market Apple is after will sustain this device.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#80  Edited By Claude

Looks like a fun gadget... I wouldn't say that on Tested.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#81  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Great for video games & periods.

Osiris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Osiris
    @WinterSnowblind said:
    " @Osiris said:

" @WinterSnowblind said:

" @Osiris said:
    In this day and age money really doesn't play that much of a role anymore, I mean look at the iPhone or iPod. Also, who the hell wants a netbook...  "
    I use a netbook for work, it's easy to carry around and has a lot of great features.  I can run photoshop on it, listen to music, play games, surf the web and watch movies.
    And again, it cost a fraction of the price of the iPad.  So I ask, who the hell wants an iPad when you can buy something that can do everything it can better, for far less?

Anyone who's buying one, is doing so because they think it will make them cool.  Period.  The thing has no value beyond the brand. "
    Yeah okay, I guess you are right. Come to think of it, it's not that great for the amount of money it costs. You slapped some sense into my apple loving face... Just got hyped. I'll probably never get one of these until it can do more.  

I am rubber you are glue. (thought that was appropriate, seeing your avatar ;))
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#83  Edited By Willy105

I think the iPad is a great idea.

A lot of people I know can't even understand how a mouse works. This would be perfect for them.

I myself am waiting for a version that can also produce things instead of consume.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#84  Edited By Jayzilla

I will buy one 2 years from now when it has a USB port and can multi-task and is $200 cheaper.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.