Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Arcade

Platform »

Stand-alone machines specialized for individual games. Arcades began the game industry and peaked in popularity before home consoles took over the gaming public. Arcade games usually cost 25 cents, or 100 yen, per play. Known for the most cutting-edge technology of their time, arcades have the largest video game library, and greatest variety of control methods, of any platform.

KanColle Arcade

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Edited By DarkbeatDK

Modern Japanese arcade gaming is as unapproachable and complex as ever. Back in my day, games were simpler and it was pretty easy to discern if it was a platformer, a brawler, a fighting game or something else like that, but these days they all seem to be weird action RPGs that spit out collectible cards that you can level up like Amiibo or something. It's a pretty novel idea, actually, and probably one of the reasons for arcade game's staying power in Japan.

One of SEGA's current popular games is based on the equally popular Kantai Collection, wherein World War II-era battleships are re-envisioned as cute girls, battling evil monsters who sometimes also are cute boat girls... Look, don't worry about it.

While the original mobile version of the game is a rather simple RPG, the arcade game has a lot more going for it. You need to steer your fleet around the ocean to avoid enemy attacks, but like the original you are still reliant on RNG to carry you through when it comes to your attacks. It all does look very flashy though and as I mentioned earlier, you get physical card rewards for playing.

While it took years for Puzzle & Dragons to make it west, it eventually did happen, so who knows if it'll happen for Kantai Collection? Maybe Nintendo will be the ones to do it again, turning Luigi into a boat or something?

In any event, SEGA has uploaded uploaded this nice gameplay demonstration, starring voice actress Rina Hidaka who lends her voice to at least four different boats in the anime and the game.

Nice Boat!

Anupsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I really loved the anime and the game looks neat, would love to play it myself but it's probably not likely lol

TravisMccG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Needs more Bismarck

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

@travismccg: Bismarck is also a nice boat! Looking more at the mobile game, it doesn't seem all that different from something like Galaxy of Heroes.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

When I was in Tokyo last year one of the arcades I stopped in on was having a preview event for this game and the crowd was absolutely massive. I was at least aware of the mania surrounding the original KanColle so thankfully I wasn't too confused but man the excitement in the room to try the game was on a whole other level. From what I saw it actually looked like quite an interesting game with all the naval maneuvering and yeah it looked reaaaally nice.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.