Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Arcade

Platform »

Stand-alone machines specialized for individual games. Arcades began the game industry and peaked in popularity before home consoles took over the gaming public. Arcade games usually cost 25 cents, or 100 yen, per play. Known for the most cutting-edge technology of their time, arcades have the largest video game library, and greatest variety of control methods, of any platform.

The rundown of people you don't want to meet at the arcades!

Parabole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 17

Edited By Parabole

Going through some old movies I noticed that Arcades where fun places to hang out. Being among friends and just being in an atmosphere specifically catered to the great love of videogames. Unfortunately, like in the movies, there is always one type of character that ruins the experience. Take note of these characters who ruined some possible childhood memories.

Cops - Robocop 2 [1990] 

Actually, if you're being trailed by cops then your day was ruined since you got there. But in seriousness (as close to it, anyway), Cops or any authority figure just create a nerve wracking atmosphere. They are usually there to bust up a drug deal nearby or to locate miscreants or missing children. Downer. 

Gangs - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles [1990] 

This version of an arcade was actually pretty cool when I saw it (6yrs old) and wanted to go there, but then I learned that smoking is bad and so is stealing. Thanks Tiny Toons. [Bonus arcade, link<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QnvDwHtlgM>. Also, as with all that skateboarding and underage gambling there comes a price: being recruited into a gang. 
    Now the gang in question is The Foot, a name so silly and with a reputation for being beat up by Turtles that they have to be twice as dangerous as April o'Neil makes them out to be. But still, real gangs or just older kids that tend to have a bad reputation make having fun at an arcade dangerous!  

No Caption Provided

Bullies - Encino Man [1992] 

This is a particular problem if you're a geek or in love with the popular girl that’s dating the bully or any other movie roles our lives were based on. The problem with bullies is that there are usually one which is not enough to call the cops but make your day suck.

The good thing with bullies is that with one good training montage, you could be the one to beat up the bully, get the girl, and hear your name chanted by the other kids. I follow the Rocky school of training.  skip to 2:54.

Brothers - Double Dragon [1994] 
     Twice the ass-beatings of a normal bully and the added bonus of coming home to, guess? That's right, another ass whooping! Just picture Biff from Weird Science . It's typical for the older brother to worry about what's where the chicks are and not little brother's fascination to get to the pier on time before the arcades close. The cool thing is little brothers have all the adventure's and for some reason big brother's always turned into something? 

True not all brothers are macho dudes that rather pump weights than help a brother out. In Double Dragon's, Billy's brother is actually possessed by a T-1000.

Parabole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Parabole

Going through some old movies I noticed that Arcades where fun places to hang out. Being among friends and just being in an atmosphere specifically catered to the great love of videogames. Unfortunately, like in the movies, there is always one type of character that ruins the experience. Take note of these characters who ruined some possible childhood memories.

Cops - Robocop 2 [1990] 

Actually, if you're being trailed by cops then your day was ruined since you got there. But in seriousness (as close to it, anyway), Cops or any authority figure just create a nerve wracking atmosphere. They are usually there to bust up a drug deal nearby or to locate miscreants or missing children. Downer. 

Gangs - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles [1990] 

This version of an arcade was actually pretty cool when I saw it (6yrs old) and wanted to go there, but then I learned that smoking is bad and so is stealing. Thanks Tiny Toons. [Bonus arcade, link<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QnvDwHtlgM>. Also, as with all that skateboarding and underage gambling there comes a price: being recruited into a gang. 
    Now the gang in question is The Foot, a name so silly and with a reputation for being beat up by Turtles that they have to be twice as dangerous as April o'Neil makes them out to be. But still, real gangs or just older kids that tend to have a bad reputation make having fun at an arcade dangerous!  

No Caption Provided

Bullies - Encino Man [1992] 

This is a particular problem if you're a geek or in love with the popular girl that’s dating the bully or any other movie roles our lives were based on. The problem with bullies is that there are usually one which is not enough to call the cops but make your day suck.

The good thing with bullies is that with one good training montage, you could be the one to beat up the bully, get the girl, and hear your name chanted by the other kids. I follow the Rocky school of training.  skip to 2:54.

Brothers - Double Dragon [1994] 
     Twice the ass-beatings of a normal bully and the added bonus of coming home to, guess? That's right, another ass whooping! Just picture Biff from Weird Science . It's typical for the older brother to worry about what's where the chicks are and not little brother's fascination to get to the pier on time before the arcades close. The cool thing is little brothers have all the adventure's and for some reason big brother's always turned into something? 

True not all brothers are macho dudes that rather pump weights than help a brother out. In Double Dragon's, Billy's brother is actually possessed by a T-1000.

Parabole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Parabole

For anybody reading this, this list is incomplete. The material I want are missing, my computer keeps freezing, and I'm not that great at designing this thing. But I'll try and add what I was thinking in the future.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.