Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Arms

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Jun 16, 2017

Arms is a fighting sports game for the Nintendo Switch from Mario Kart producer Kosuke Yabuki.

Will "Arms" have legs?

• 65 results
    Avatar image for holycrapitsadam
    holycrapitsadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm thinking about picking up Arms when it releases but I'm worried about longevity. It seems like it's primarily a multiplayer game with a fairly standard single player offering.

I worry I am just anxious to buy anything for the Switch after Zelda and Mario Kart. I plan on picking up Splatoon in July (1 month after Arms) so I could just wait until Splatoon but some of what I've seen of Arms does interest me. I'm just wondering if there is enough content to justify a $60 price tag.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Only if Nintendo really puts their back into it.

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt it. Seems like a fun gimmick, but would get kind of old fast.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

They did just announce that there would be more fighters and stages and whatnot released for free after the game launches, that tells me that they're at least trying to give it some longevity.

Personally I think it looks cool, and could probably even have a bit of depth as an alternative fighting game, but I'm worried about it being a whole motion-control thing. I don't really trust that method of control enough and my own Joy-Con already don't work great when detached from the console. To even play 2 Player locally I'd have to pick up another set as well, which further disincentivizes a purchase for me.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Onemanarmyy

It will have legs in the way that people need something to play and this is a very 'different' kind of game. Like if you're going over to play some games with friends, this will probably be part of the rotation of games you'll play with them. I doubt it will be worth playing for long though. Similar to 1-2 switch.

blackmagicwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The way they're pushing things, I'd say it's got a great chance of having legs. This could be the Splatoon of the Switch. A game that came out of nowhere, looked odd, but was getting some great attention from Nintendo to make it stand out and make sure that people know about it.

My friend is going nuts about it, so something is working.

beanswater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Without reading any of the OP or replies I wish there was some sort of upvote for this thread title

Also, if I had to guess I'd say no, that looks like a joy con gimmick game

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Could be a mixed bag, but we'll see what the fun factor is like. Might need more polish.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ripelivejam

im hoping for a splatoon style surprise hit. like the colorful look and seems unique. but yeah, needs some staying power, multiplayer or otherwise.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By TobbRobb

It looks like a solid and fun distillation of things I enjoy in other games. Buuuuut, those other games are still there and are more involved and I'm invested in them.... So yeah might not play too much of this, and I'm probably not alone in thinking along these lines.

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe? It is hard to predict a game like this where it could so easily be gimmick over quality. I hope that it has staying power but, I wouldn't bet money on it.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

From what I've seen of the game it looks like it basically controls like Virtua On so seems like it could be ok? But really, everything they've shown makes it seem like Nintendo is putting a lot into it so I'm leaning toward being optimistic about it. It also totally has non-motion controls. Looks pretty fun but also seems like something you have to try for yourself to make any sort of judgment about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

For some reason I thought this game had already come out as a launch title for the Switch.

Also this thread might have the best title of the year.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Dixavd

I originally saw this thread title and sighed but I've come around to thinking it's great - good job. My interest in Arms is pretty low, but the talk surrounding it has been becoming more positive as its release gets closer, so who knows, maybe it will find an audience like Splatoon did.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want all games to have as much style as ARMS and Splatoon. The game itself looks like a good bit of fun and a good first local multiplayer game for the Switch (1-2 what now?).

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they add a traditional control scheme I'd say possibly? But only short legs. If it's exclusively motion only then I just don't see it being much more than a popular game for a little then being something that occasionally gets brought out for funsies.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As an outsider looking in, one of the positive things I've seen about the Switch having such a limited game lineup is that when the Nintendo exclusives come out, it's like a timed event that everyone participates in until the next game drops. I dunno if Arms will have any lasting appeal, but it'll probably be pretty popular for a month or so until everyone moves onto the next game.

WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It looks to me like they took the worst mini-game from Wii Sports and turned it into a full game. But people seem pretty excited for it for some reason, so who knows.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Only if Nintendo really puts their back into it.

Nice work.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the ARMS character designs are real good and will improve the next Smash Bros. with their inclusion.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I don't care about the motion controls but if this gives me the modern virtual-on game I desire then sure.

sodapop7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I really enjoyed the little I played at the Switch preview event a few months ago. The motion controls felt good and the variety of moves was cool. Seems like they're going to support it like Splatoon last year so I hope people give it a chance.

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: You're really going out on a limb there, aren't you?

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stevevacation: Ah cool, I feel like that will do a lot for peoples desire to whip it out and play it.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By handlas

The "Test Punch" is going on now. I pretty much scoffed at the first trailer. Uninterested in a game trying to recapture that Wii mote stuff that I was never interested in in the first place. But trailers have gotten me more interested with the charming looking characters and swapping gloves and what-not.

Playing it has sold me on it, for sure. A lot of fun. We'll see how the "legs" are on it but it's the most excited I've been for a Switch game now since Zelda.

I really love the lobby system; I've not seen something like that before. You are placed in a game with 8 or so people and it just randomly matches you up with 1, 2 or 3 other people into various game modes. And once that game ends you are immediately matched up again with the same people into a new game. Really love that; makes for fast games. Also, I'm not sure but I think maybe ur portrait gets bigger as you win more and more in the lobby? Basically signifying you are the person to beat... could be wrong on that though.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wonder if GB will do a stream?(hopefully west this time)

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingbonesaw said:

Should LEGOs talk?

Nope. I loved the first few Traveler's Tales Lego games where they just made expressions and the occasional non-verbal sounds. The talky ones are OK, but they don't quite have the same charm.

Jaws12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jaws12

@ripelivejam: Really thought they were going to play it at the end of UPF (or USF2 at least), but nothing. That Switch just sat there the whole stream...

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@handlas said:

The "Test Punch" is going on now. I pretty much scoffed at the first trailer. Uninterested in a game trying to recapture that Wii mote stuff that I was never interested in in the first place. But trailers have gotten me more interested with the charming looking characters and swapping gloves and what-not.

Playing it has sold me on it, for sure. A lot of fun. We'll see how the "legs" are on it but it's the most excited I've been for a Switch game now since Zelda.

I really love the lobby system; I've not seen something like that before. You are placed in a game with 8 or so people and it just randomly matches you up with 1, 2 or 3 other people into various game modes. And once that game ends you are immediately matched up again with the same people into a new game. Really love that; makes for fast games. Also, I'm not sure but I think maybe ur portrait gets bigger as you win more and more in the lobby? Basically signifying you are the person to beat... could be wrong on that though.

Yeah, I came away from my half hour with it today very impressed. The motion controls feel really precise. Aiming the punches is easy and pretty fun, and since you sort of lock onto your enemy at all times you really just need to worry about moving around the axis in between the two of you, so the movement feels good as well. The only buttons used are the shoulder buttons which you press with your thumbs.

The different arms feel distinct and there's a fair amount of strategy involved in deciding on what combination to use. I was playing Min Min for her air dodge ability and found that the Ramram (a fast punch) and her dragon arm that shoots a laser beam at your opponent was an effective combo. Bait a dodge with the fast punch and then use the laser. I never grabbed when I didn't mean to, and only had a few instances of blocking when I was trying to move to the side or backwards.

The lobby is cool as hell. You don't pick modes or anything, so there's no problem of certain match types having a low playerbase. Once you're in a lobby with some people you get thrown into random battles. It looked like you're earning currency for every battle, more if you win, and that number shows to the lobby, so maybe that's what shows who is dominating? Also the shoulder buttons do a little emote with your character's portrait in the lobby so that's fun.

Nintendo insinuated they'll be supporting this on the level they did with Splatoon, so I'm expecting a pretty large amount of after-release content. Splatoon gained like 3 new match types and a shitload of weapons, clothes, and maps, so hopefully they'll do right by ARMS. I think it has serious potential.

Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played in both sessions, one with motion controls and one without. I really like the precision that motion controls give for the punches, but I hate moving with them. With regular controls, movement felt good but the reduced punch precision was noticable. So it's a trade off for me, precision for punches or movement.

Maybe if I spend more time with the motion controls it all make sense, but right now I'm leaning towards regular controls.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played the full hour of the 3rd test. Liking the game more and more. 1v1 and 2v2 are my favs. The volleyball is an okay diversion between fights. Not a big fan of the 3 person deathmatch style... feels like I end up on the wrong side of 2v1 a lot. Wonder what other modes there are; I know there's the basketball one. Was kinda hoping they would swap the volleyball out with that. Maybe they will next weekend.

I played with normal controls on my second test. I think I prefer that way; just has more precision overall but both ways are fun. Spring Man and the mummy guy are my go-tos.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Playthough 1 was all motion control and yeaaaah it felt a bit awkward. It was satisfying when it worked out for me but I thought movvement and blocking was a pain with this control method.

Playthrough 2: Controller only. Thought this was the definitive way to play, found myself picking up some more 'advanced' manoeuvres and tactics and it felt way more natural. There is definitely a lot of depth here as far as combat goes IMHO and I think I'm sold on it. 3 way brawl is kind of lame though

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yesiamaduck: don't worry, there's a 4 way brawl (not tag team) that's even more of a clusterfuck.

Playing the test punch today, tried motion controls but it felt fairly unresponsive for movement so I switched to the non-motion version. see what I did there.

Generally the combat feels polished with the basics you would want from an arena fighter (directional dodging/air dashing, grapples, simple controls) but it doesn't seem to have much else to offer in that regard. On a plus side the online is really good, I was playing with a guy from japan and there wasn't any lag that I could tell. The volleyball mode is also really fun, I expect with more skilled players it could be on par with 1v1 for best mode.

Arebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, played the 3rd session. I hate the motion controls for everything but punching. I got my ass handed to me for 5 matches, switched controls and was nigh undefeatable. Playing as Mummy man and endlessy guarding to bait out grabs whilst healing is great. I still need to learn about dealing with air grabs though. I'll have to give the other characters a go.

The game is bloody fun.

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope some third party will make some sweet twinstick controller for the switch, then this game would be incredible.

Avatar image for bowl-of-lentils
    Bowl-of-Lentils

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

I played the 1st and 2nd sessions of the Test Punch and holy crud have I fallen for this game hard! Having an amazing time and my arms are getting a workout.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I played in the 3rd session and tried motion controls, but I feel that given the location of my Switch and my sitting location the signal was getting lost. Switched to my pro controller and everything was smooth sailing. I picked Ribbon Girl as my main and dominated. I ended up with 80 or so points. It's really fun and I can see how advanced tactics would evolved.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ripelivejam

have to look up the controls but im guessing theres ways to guide/curve your punches?

game seems a ton of fun already. really liking the colorful multiplayer bender nintendo is on as of late-ish.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

have to look up the controls but im guessing theres ways to guide/curve your punches?

game seems a ton of fun already. really liking the colorful multiplayer bender nintendo is on as of late-ish.

Yes, the game is dependent on that as you need to be tricky with punches. It depends on control set up, but with pro controller you just move the sticks to guide the punches after they're thrown.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin said:
    @ripelivejam said:

Yes, the game is dependent on that as you need to be tricky with punches. It depends on control set up, but with pro controller you just move the sticks to guide the punches after they're thrown.

Also, it's helpful to hold down dash or jump and you will charge ur arms. Spring Man sets people on fire when you do it with him, for instance.

3 Test Fires down... still want to keep playing. That hour goes by fast. Feels fun and balanced. I only felt like I got cheesed once when I played the slow mummy guy against the ninja character; the player kept getting in close very quickly and grabbing me and felt like I couldn't avoid the grab. Other than that I've gotten a couple of Perfects and been woopin up on people.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golguin: cool thanks. i meant to specify non-motion controls, sorry! it seems like it sort of needs the motion controls, but most are saying it's better on traditional controls so far.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

I was going to say no because of motion controls, but it sounds like you can play on standard. SO maybe it will then

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I took some screenshots (Nintendo needs to add video capture fast) of the latest session and man is the game fun.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Passingthrough

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Passingthrough

I played 4 of the test punches trying out both the motion & pro controller & had a blast. Enjoyed everything about the presentation of the game & it just feels great to play.

As far as controls go for me I'd have to say motion is definitely the way to go. The pro controller is easier to start off with & will get you those early wins while everyone's still new to the game & get their footing. But once you get over the hump of learning how to use the motion controls it's no contest.

I'd liken it to only ever using a standard controller & someone suddenly giving you a fight stick (or motion controls their not used to like when Splatoon first came out). It feels awkward at first & frustration over not just being good immediately will make many just give up on them entirely.

But once you break through that initial hurdle you'll find you can move, block & throw just as fast & easy as the non motion while also getting the benefit of better arm control.

I feel the people who are going to be really good at this game later on after it's been out a couple weeks will definitely be those who stuck with the motion controls, mark my words.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried a bit of both motion and controller - didn't really like either? To be fair I didn't spend the whole hour on each but I just don't know that this game is for me. I actually do like the character designs and...maybe the idea? But it's just not something I see myself putting time into.

I thought the lobby system was well done and kept the sessions fresh. One match was 1v1, then a FFA, then a team game, etc.

xGumby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also...

The whole thing was snappy and quick, playing over thirty matches in under an hour is a lot. I had a player drop 1/100 matches. It was just smooth as silk for me.

Nintendo's online functionality is making a comeback.

Sedrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was not expecting it to be as fun as it is. Definitely want to buy it now. It feels very reminiscent of Virtual On back in the day.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

@sedrick: I'm in the same boat as you (well I've not played Virtual On...) in that I played an hour of the demo and was surprised by how much fun I was having and how tense some of the matches can get.

My personal highlight being when my team mate was eliminated and I near death managed to pull off a comeback against my two opponents closing out the match with a super which took both of them out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.