Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and I, @zombiepie, am honored to be your host as always. Next week is PAX Prime 2015, and that means that you can fully expect the Giant Bomb Team to have plenty of ridiculous nonsense for you to enjoy. As with all major events that the Giant Bomb crew attend please be aware that it takes time to archive and post any video content on the site, and that events do impact regularly scheduled events like UPF. With that here are a few reminders about Giant Bomb at PAX Prime 2015:
- Prior to PAX Prime Jeff and the crew will host an event where they welcome Giant Bomb users to join them in playing Rock Band 4 as they insult you.
- Mr. Rorie made a Facebook event for the PAX Prime main show if you can't make it to the Premium-exclusive show.
- Mr. Rorie also posted a link to RSVP for the Premium-only Pre-PAX Pre-show if you're interested!
- Mr. Ryckert announced that Giant Bomb's Mario Party Party 5 "experience" will be conducted LIVE on stage at one of our PAX events at The Parlor in Seattle. Pray for Drew, Jeff, and Brad.
Clips of the Week
- Giant Bomb Pax Mario Party Party 5 Promo (By: @ampatent) - In anticipation of the Mario Party 5 livestream Ampatent has created this promo for the upcoming event/disaster.
- Breaking Brad TV Intro (By: @somestickguy_) Somestickguy_'s latest Giant Bomb x TV intro adds a little splash of Breaking Brad to Breaking Bad.
The Giant Bomb Gallery of Art
- BANNER - Metal Gear Scanlon: Thanks for Playing (By: @cosmicbacon) - Check out this AWESOME send-off for Metal Gear Scanlon by CosmicBacon!
- Metal Gear Scanlon Art Stuff (By: @pixelrat) - Pixelrat has created this sketch of Drew in honor of the end of Metal Gear Scanlon.
- Wrestling gets as "real" as it can get....
Best of Blogs
- MGScanlon: Game Time Comparions, Rankings, Stats +more! (By: @geraltitude) - GERALTITUDE has compiled all of the stats related to the runtimes and funny moments for Metal Gear Scanlon and compared them to the world speed run records.
- Bullies: A Retrospective on Life is Strange: Episode One (By: @gamer_152) - Gamer_152 got around to checking out the first episode of Life is Strange and discusses his thoughts on how it conveys the "teenage experience" in a video game.
- Hambo's Views On Things - Kojima, Metal Gear Solid and Auteurship (By: @gianthamish) - GiantHamish shares his views on Hideo Kojima and his quest for video game auteurship over the years.
- Quick Thoughts on Metal Gear Solid (By: @egge) - Check out Egge's brief, but interesting thoughts related to the Metal Gear Solid franchise as a whole over here.
- Odallus: The Dark Call is the Best Game on Steam That No One is Talking About (By: @shaunk) - ShaunK explains why Odallus: The Dark Call is a great game that all of you have never heard of, but should.
- So I Just Played: The Witcher 3 (By: @tarfuin) - Tarfuin just played The Witcher 3 and discusses why and how he felt completely immersed in the game's world over here.
- Twine Dev Blog 2 (By: @lucien_lachance) - Lucien_Lachance is continuing onward on his effort to program a video game using Twine, and you can read all about his progress.
- Metal Gear Noir (By: @ford_dent) - Ford_Dent discusses how the Metal Gear franchise has adapted film noir tropes and idioms to its advantage.
- Why I'm Excited for Dark Souls 3 (By: @claybrez) - claybrez can't help but feel a little bit excited for the upcoming release of Dark Souls 3, and explains why on his latest blog.
- Metal Gear Quest Part II: PS2 Pondering (By: @mooseymcman) - MooseyMcMan pontificates on Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 as part of a retrospective of the series.
- ST-urday #008: Gobliins 2: The Prince Buffoon (By: @mento) - Moderator Mento went French this week by looking at the Atari-ST game Gobliins 2: The Prince Buffoon as part of his retrospective of the platform.
- Playing My First Final Fantasy Game - Parts 56-72: Everyone Was Right...I Was Not Ready for Final Fantasy VIII (By: @zombiepie) - ZombiePie wrote a fifteen page, 8,000+ word blog on the conclusion of Disc 2 of Final Fantasy VIII. Please send help while he debates whether or not he should defeat Omega Weapon.
Join the Discussion
- The Best Is Yet To Come - A Pre-MGSV Timeline (By: @mirado) - Mirado has created an incredibly helpful and interesting pre-MGSV timeline for the Metal Gear Solid franchise.
- Shadowrun: Hong Kong First Impressions Thread (By: @extintor) - How goes the latest Kickstarter funded Shadowrun effort by Harebrained Schemes? If you have any opinions share them here.
- What's your Proudest Game Achievement? And Why? (By: @jeust) - What is your proudest gaming achievement that you have ever accomplished? Share and discuss your most memorable accomplishment here.
- Call of Duty: Black Ops II Beta Code Share and Snatch Thread (By: @recspec) - Do you have any extra beta codes for Call of Duty: Black Ops III? If so post, or consume them here.
- Tales from the Borderlands Episode 4 Discussion Thread (By: @wandrecanada) - Have any of you played the fourth episode of Tales from the Borderlands? If so join our discussion and share your thoughts and choices here.
- Heroes Primer For Dan (By: @themasterds) - Join the community effort to create a Heroes of the Storm "primer" for Dan by posting any advice or tips that you have for the game over here.
- Is Simply More Dark Souls Enough? (By: @humanity) - With the pending release of Dark Souls III join the discussion on whether or not "more Dark Souls" is a good thing.
- Gaming with my Niece and Nephew (By: @pyromagnestir) - pyromagnestir lists all of the significant, and mostly positive, gaming experiences that he has had with his younger niece and nephew.
- Best of 2008 (By: @ryanodonnell) - ryanodonnell provides a retrospective on the best of the best of 2008 on this top ten list for the year over here.
Useful User Reviews
- @grantheaslip deconstructs the abstract and beautiful adventure, IA/VT, on his review for the relatively obscure game.
- @_mattallica's review of Everybody's Gone to the Rapture discusses why he found the game to be a beautiful, but boring experience.
- @mormonwarrior wrote a review of Rare Replay from the perspective of someone who has a great deal of nostalgia for Rare.
- @dinoracha reviewed Contradiction and assessed how it manages to be a memorable, but wacky murder mystery experience.
- @shadowconqueror had never heard of Magic Duels: Origins until he played it, but shares why he enjoyed it nonetheless.
- PAX Prime 2015 - Learn all about which big name developers are going to PAX Prime 2015 on our wiki page for the event.
- Crusader Kings II - Discover how to assassinate babies with style by checking out our comprehensive wiki page on Paradox's dense historical strategy sim that was recently visited by Giant Bomb East.
- Mario Party 5 - You can go into this game blind, like Jeff, Drew and Brad will be come PAX this following week, or you can read up on what's different about the fifth Mario Party ahead of time here.