Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and I, @zombiepie, am once again honored to be your host this week. We had an interesting week what with the 15th anniversary of the N-Gage and all, but there were plenty of games to enjoy as well. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 was the big heavy-hitter of late but with Soulcalibur VI right around the corner it looks as if we are officially in the Fall/Winter game onslaught! So, without further ado, let's talk about the site related housekeeping!
- Everyone seems to be nostalgic about the N-Gage, or at least as nostalgic for the N-Gage as one can be. Fun fact, the domain holder for http://sidetalkin.com recently revealed themselves on Twitter and shared a hilarious story how Nokia tried to pay them a bribe to change the website. It's a fun read if you enjoyed Giant Bomb's N-Gage video last week.
- Abby recently had a mixtape dedicated to her via St. Vincent's Mixtape Delivery Service! Give it a try to hear what Annie "St. Vincent" Clark prescribes to our hard-working GBEast producer.
- Finally, let's talk about the Giant Bomb newsletter again. For realzies, this time the letter should have gone out to anyone who had not already received it in the weeks prior. Feel free to comment if you didn't receive the newsletter, and be aware it looks something like this:
Extra-Life 2018 - Can't Stop Won't Stop Doing It for the Kids
Don't forget, Giant Bomb's 2018 Extra-Life team is actively recruiting members RIGHT NOW! The team is already eight pages deep and has raised $3,532, but feel free to join NOW or spread the word.
Get every possible detail you could possibly need on Matt's Extra-Life thread. Check out the FAQ if you do not understand how to join the team, or how you can help. Feel free to use the thread to link to your donation page!
If you know you can join the effort, feel free to add yourself to the team RIGHT NOW! The team has already raised over $9,437, but new members would be greatly appreciated!
Giant Bomb Community Extra Life Archive 2018 (By: RIOSTARWIND)
Riostarwind put together the yearly GB community #ExtraLife chart. Fairly small right now but by the end of the month you won't be able to keep up with all the live streams.
Giant Bomb Galleria
Inktober has been a smashing success on Twitter and the two artworks I have this week are from Twitter accounts that used one of their days to draw something Giant Bomb related! This work was inspired by the well received Six Crazy Frights video series featuring Abby!
There simply isn't enough Rorie fan art on the internet. You heard me, I'm calling out every internet artist to get on that!
Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 is right around the corner, and here's a link to our platform agnostic online sharing thread! Post your online profile and platform of preference to play the game with other Giant Bomb users.
Calling all Forza Horizon 4 fans! Our community Gamertag exchange thread for the game can be found here! Post your info to play against fellow Giant Bomb users.
Breaking News! We now have a Giant Bomb community guild for MapleStory 2! Learn how you can join the fun with fellow Giant Bomb users RIGHT NOW!
Tweets Of The Week
You learn a lot about a person based on how they respond to extreme situations. pic.twitter.com/N7EUyWu2R1— Jeremy Medina (@JeremyRMedina) October 12, 2018
Best Of Blogs
Giant Bomb moderator Mento uses their latest blog to review and assess the bosses in Hollow Knight! If you want to know a little about each boss and their mechanics, give it a read.
JeremyF toyed around with the Switch version of Mega Man 11 and shares why he had a fun time playing the game with its "Casual" difficulty and isn't ashamed to admit it.
Colonel_Pockets played Heavy Rain for the first time to get into the spirit of Halloween. Read why they still recommend the game despite disliking the controls and story.
Giant Bomb user Sniffulls compiled the results of NA East One in their Capcom Pro Tour blog series. Give it a read to stay updated on the fighting game community.
DarkbeatDK's latest blog humorously lampoons several of Red Dead Redemption 2's advertised features and reminds us older games had many of them before Rockstar even existed.
Mento had more than just Hollow Knight bosses to talk about this week. They also discussed how important time investment is to their game selection process, cute platformer A Hat in Time, the structure of Shadowrun: Hong Kong, and that Sandra Bullock movie Abby made us all watch.
Join The Discussion
Giant Bomb user Chummy8 is buying their children a Nintendo Switch for Christmas and is taking game suggestions to "make" their holiday season! Help them out over here.
Will any of you take advantage of the PSN name change feature? Is the ability to change one's name long-due? Join our community discussion about this highly anticipated feature.
Calling all Magic: The Gathering fans! Have any of you tried out the open beta for Magic: The Gathering Arena? If you have, share your impressions of the latest digital representation of the card game.
What horror or thriller games are you playing to get into the mood of Halloween? Are you going with recent releases or classic horror games? Share your picks with the rest of the Giant Bomb community.
What do you make of the rumors and prospect of Microsoft buying Obsidian? Share your two cents' worth about the purchase and what it could mean for Pillars of Eternity.
What do you think about the graphics of current gen consoles? Are you getting more or less impressed by graphical fidelity in video games the past five years? Are graphics even that important in the first place?
Do you wish Switch had an achievement/trophy equivalent? How would such a system change your playing habits on the platform? Share your thoughts about achievements on the Switch.
StealthRUSH didn't have a DS until late into its lifespan, that said, they did not have any issues listing 100 games they enjoyed playing on the platform. Give their list a look and think about which games would grace your list.
Useful User Reviews
- @bhlaab's The Evil Within 2 review articulates why the game provides a decent open-world survival horror experience that is sabotaged by mechanical bugs.
- @d_w's Timespinner review meticulously details why it is a 2018 "buried treasure" that should not be missed if you are looking for a modern Castlevania experience.
- @eccentrix uses their review of Donut County to talk about why they were disappointed by the game it wasn't, rather than the game it was.
- @riostarwind uses their review of Dragalia Lost to share how it's not an entirely exploitative Gatcha game.
- @bonbonettis V-Rally 4 review details why the game's wonky A.I. is its only issue given its breadth of content.