Hello and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and as always, I, @zombiepie, am honored to be your host this week as we look back at the best user-created offerings! This week the community wrote up a storm with a massive influx of long-form blogs and reviews! As always, give them a read if possible, and don't forget to thank the authors in question for sharing their thoughts to the community. However, the bigger piece of news definitely has to be about Extra Life 2019! First, GameSpot hosted its Extra Life 2019 charity drive and you can learn all about it by checking out the housekeeping items. Also, in case you missed the announcement last week, Danny O'Dwyer will be joining Giant Bomb's Extra Life team to stream some hot F1 action! So, without further ado, let's jump into the site-related housekeeping!
- Due to technical difficulties, Giant Bomb lost the recording of the most recent "Get on my Level." Luckily, people who submitted levels that we could not beat will still receive their prizes. However, the show is going on a short break and will return better than ever.
- You all have noticed the design team changed colors on Giant Bomb, GameSpot, and Comic Vine recently. Design lead, Dan Auer took to Twitter to explain why this change is a really positive sign of changes to come to the site.
- Finally, as many of your are aware, GameSpot hosted their Extra Life 2019 streams this weekend! The Giant Bomb chat was up for the event, and if you missed it keep on the lookout for the Project Diva and Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers archives as they featured Jan and Rorie respectively! And please use the link to help the nice fellows at GameSpot to reach their Extra Life fundraising goal!
Giant Bomb Community Activities
Giant Bomb's personal Extra Life 2019 page has raised $8,500! The Giant Bomb team has raised $27,741 and currently has ! Donate and/or join the fun using the links above!
Giant Bomb Galleria
Giant Bomb user fzcreations has been really enjoying Burgle My Bananas. So much so, they felt inspired to create this doodle of Abby!
Tweets Of The Week
I'll have you know that this was my debut on this show since Dan was out and I definitely didn't lose and I definitely beat every level that was given to me and Ben was the one who has to give out those prizes. Definitely 100% not me and you can't prove otherwise. https://t.co/RRYZh9V04U— Jeff Gerstmann (@jeffgerstmann) October 21, 2019
Giant Bomb East playing Bloodstained is gonna make me die of laughter pic.twitter.com/gVAfDaeEAC— IT’S DA POLEECE (@itsdapoleece) October 21, 2019
In this game, Sherlock Holmes? He dies. And this is... his testament.— Giant Bomb Out of Context (@giantbomb_ooc) October 21, 2019
- Justin McElroy, 2012
Every now and then.— 🎃 Steve Kim 🎄 (@Fobwashed) October 24, 2019
Out of nowhere.
It'll just pop into my head.
I can not fucking believe.
They killed Mass Effect.
Clips Of The Week
Giant Bomb user JDP83 made a suggestion from Dan a reality! They made a Giant Bomb Beastcast email song inspired by Billy Squier's "The Stroke."
To anyone who plans to host a livestream during Giant Bomb's Extra Life 2019 event, RageGummy did you a solid and made a cheeky transition for you to use so you look like a professional streamer! Use the link to learn how you can embed it to your stream and how they made this happen!
Best Of Blogs
ZombiePie finally finished Final Fantasy XII! Give their nigh 9,000-word blog on Giant Bomb a read to discover why they didn't like the game, despite loving its cast and story! Also, there's a "Special Announcement" about their next series!
BigSocrates got around to playing Sonic Forces and writes about why they feel the game never had a chance to be good especially with it living under the shadow of Sonic Mania. BigSocrates also played Yooka-Laylee and shares why their tempered expectations assisted them enjoying the throwback platformer
MooseyMcMan gave Outer Wilds a shot after hearing several friends and reviewers praise the game. Nonetheless, on their latest blog they detail why the game's story and sense of discovery left a lot to be desired in their book.
Giant Bomb user BigSocrates remembers a time when 2007's The Darkness was a "fun game." However, this week they used their latest blog to explain why that is no longer the case today.
First, Mento's latest "Indie Game of the Week" blog is all about Moonpod's puzzle/RPG Mr. Robot! Give it a read and learn why they think this game isn't more than meets the eyes. Second, Mento continues their retrospective on the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive! This week, their write-up runs the gamut of good and bad releases from the end of 1991!
Bowl-of-Lentils is currently playing Trails of Cold Steel III and shares their early impressions of the game on their latest blog. Give them a read, and feel free to share your experiences with the game as well!
Moderator Gamer_152 comments on the recent controversy surrounding Activision Blizzard, Inc., and how Activision-Blizzard's actions earlier this month were an unconscionable attack on democratic speech. Nonetheless, they discuss how the confusion about the problem prevents us from discussing it effectively.
Join The Discussion
It's the big game release of the week, and everyone is talking about it, but what are your early impressions of The Outer Worlds? Does the game live up to the hype? Have you encountered any game breaking bugs?
The community "Hottest Mess" prediction thread has been updated to include some "recent events." Check out the new nominees, and feel free to share what you think will take the award this year!
A new trailer has hit for Persona 5 Scramble: The Phantom Strikers! Share your impressions of what was shown, concerns about the game being a Switch title, and your level of hype for the game's release.
What is YOUR reaction to the delay for The Last of Us Part II? Are there any games this year which scratch a similar itch? Feel free to speculate what may have caused this delay, with the rest of the Giant Bomb community
Here's an interesting discussion topic for all of you Persona fans on the site. Would you be okay with Persona 6 if it was just another "Persona-ass-Persona-game?" Is drastic change part of the franchise's appeal? Vote and discuss your feelings about this topic!
Have any of you played Lonely Mountains: Downhill? Some Giant Bomb users are calling it " Trials meets DiRT!" Join our discussion and share if this indie game has impressed you or not!
Calling all Star Citizen fans! Are you excited for CitizenCon 2949? Read up on the upcoming panels and talks, and feel free to share your excitement for the event using the link above!
The remaster for MediEvil came out last week and the game seems as hard as it was at the time of its original launch! Do you consider this to be a good or bad thing? Likewise, what do you make of the game's "updated" artstyle?
There are a handful of games Giant Bomb user BIGMEANCHIEF gave up on at or near the final level. Read what they are and consider making your own list based on the same idea!
Useful User Reviews
- @tacticalgiraffe reviewed the first-person horror game from Rock Pocket Games, Moons of Madness, today! Give their review a read and discover why they think it's the best sci-fi horror game of the year!
- @mrcaseyjones played a decent amount of Dreams this month. So much so, they wrote a glowing review on why more people should play Dreams.
- @dudewantshisrug reviewed the Digital Ultimate Edition of Gears 5. Read their review if they recommend that version or the game at all.
- @morecowbell24 decided to play a "classic" game this week in Star Wars: Dark Forces, and uses their review to discuss why it is one of the better "Doom Clones" you can play.
- @moonlightmoth played Code Vein to completion and in their review, assess why they think the game quickly loses steam by hour six to seven.
- @bigmeanchief finally got around to playing Ruiner from developer Reikon Games, Read their review to discover why they regret waiting this long to play the game!
- @impulse87 got their hands on the Gothic action-platformer, Blasphemous, and uses their review of the game to discuss why they think it is "on the verge of being a great game."
- @riostarwind's review of The Liar Princess and the Blind Prince shares how it is a so-so puzzle game that ends up being a enjoyable ride thanks to the presentation & story.