Hello everyone and welcome to the latest edition of the Giant Bomb Community Spotlight and I, @zombiepie, am once again honored to be your host as we look back at the best user-created offerings from the Giant Bomb Community! As we will review in a little bit, the biggest news from last week is that Giant Bomb is reprinting old t-shirts for a second time! Below you will find links to the thread where you can file requests, and it represents an exciting opportunity to older users on the site. To overseas users who are prevented from joining the fun, the site is exploring its options. However, the big thing I feel like needs to be mentioned is that not every t-shirt in the past can or should be re-printed. Over on Twitter and Reddit, for example, a lot of people have been requesting that the "China Don't Care" shirt be reprinted. I just... I just cannot fathom anyone not realizing why this is never going to happen. Please, for the love of God, read the news and understand that context is everything. I understand many of these requests are coming from a place of love for Ryan, but there are other ways to show how much he meant to you. With that out of the way, let's review the announcements because we have a lot this week!
- As mentioned earlier, the biggest announcement is that Giant Bomb is working to re-print old t-shirt designs. Due to current limitations of this effort, orders on reprints are only available to those who live in the USA. The site is trying its best to get overseas and Canada options up and running and they are obviously looking into new designs to reprint. USA users can review the shirts that are available over here.
- Print-On-Demand requests can be sent here. Even if you suspect it might not be possible for your shirt to be reprinted, give it a try using this thread! Mr. Rorie has been pretty good at informing users if their requests are not possible.
- Jan's newsletter last week ended up in a lot of people's spam folder on accident. The reason is that it was accidentally sent via <GBoptin@outbound.giantbomb.com> rather than the usual newsletter email account.
- Last week marked the sixth year of Dan Auer, design lead for Giant Bomb and GameSpot, joining the team! Congratulate them over on Twitter if you haven't already!
- People asked me about the new podcast, Jeff is doing with Adam Boyes and John Vignocchi. The a new podcast is called "Circle of Awesome" and it is only available through the Clubhouse App. Also, it usually airs live on Fridays at around 8:00 PM CST.
- Red Ventures is looking for a "senior front-end developer" to work on Giant Bomb and GameSpot! If you are interested in working on the site give the job posting a read!
Tweets/GIANT BOMB DEEP FAKES!
You thought it was a one-time feature, but the Giant Bomb deep fakes... THEY KEEP COMING! As mentioned last time, I am sorry if any of these images or videos end up causing you to struggle to sleep.
This is turning me into the joker. pic.twitter.com/t8ZXaJT6cL— Steve Kim (@Fobwashed) March 11, 2021
GIANT BOMB'S THURSDAY NIGHT THROWDOWN (2012)— helen quinn (@HelenQBarnett) March 12, 2021
Cinematography by Drew Scanlon
Directed by Vincent Caravella pic.twitter.com/XoxMgjhny9
We are now offering a limited selection of older Giant Bomb shirts in the store as print-on-demand! These will take a little longer to ship than our in-stock selection of shirts, but if you're interested, check them out: https://t.co/QaIGBPc0ha pic.twitter.com/dGLwJcrwzi— Giant Bomb (@giantbomb) March 11, 2021
To celebrate Phantasy Star Online 2 coming to the Epic Games Store, the PC PSO2 community has a NEW player recruitment thread for newcomers! Click the link if you are interested in joining the fun!
PurpleShyGuy will defend Majora’s Mask as one of the best games in the series with their dying breath. HOWEVER, they will concede the game also wrought Tingle on the world. Let's talk about that....
imunbeatable80's What's The Greatest Video Game is a criminally underrated series on the site and more people should check it out. First, they reviewed Wilmot's Warehouse and share why they were not impressed. Second, imunbeatable80 tackles both of the Evoland games this week and shares their highly "controversial" stance that the first game is better than the second
FRANZlSKA shares a handful of ways their gaming "play patterns" have changed over time and why some of the games they play remind they of the Berlin Conundrum.
Humanity takes to the forums to discuss how Little Nightmares reminded them of the works of Playdead in all the right ways. Read their blog on why they think the game is a perfect experience for people still waiting for Playdead's next release.
bigsocrates tried using their Xbox Series X and PS5 while their internet was down and writes on Giant Bomb about how much they disliked the user-experience on both. Likewise, they also have two amazing continuations of their blog series chronicling their experiences with the PSVR worth checking out!
Mento's back with two heavy-hitting blogs worth checking out! First, they tackle the critical hit Outer Wilds for their latest Indie Game of the Week piece. Mento had an interesting debate/discussion on their latest blog: which video game has the greatest delta of quality between its mainline franchise and its spin-offs? Candidates include Shin Megami Tensei and Borderlands!
Forcen shares an impassioned plea for more members of the community to check out Annalynn from developer Cruise Elroy! Use the link to read why they think it is for anyone with even a little bit of nostalgia for 1980s era arcade games!
Here's a discussion thread on the forums that has a lot of users thinking! What are some games that relax you that really shouldn't because their gameplay or story is meant to stress you out or overwhelm you?
Do You Treat Gaming As A Hobby Or An Escape? (By: CHIEFBEEF123)
As you get older, are you treating gaming more as a hobby or as a release? Is it a little bit of both or do you favor one over the other? What would be the optimal balance be for you?
Have you been able to get lucky with the Xbox Series X and PS5 retail restock? Have you felt like one of the consoles has been harder to get than the other? Join the community discussion and share your experiences or sentiments.
A lot of users have been having fun with Loop Hero from developer Four Quarters! If you have any impressions of the indie strategy role-playing game, feel free to share them using the link.
NISA is putting out one of its rarer PS2 games Soul Nomad in a classics anthology with Phantom Brave for the Switch! Are there any @giantbomb fans out there that are excited? Use the link to join the community discussion!
What are your favorite menu themes or songs from the 2010s? Top picks include Hotline Miami, Black Ops 2, and Mass Effect 2! Share your pick(s) using the link below!
As the title might suggest, name a game that you initially hated but after forcing yourself to play more of it, you eventually came around to it. My pick: Stellaris. It took me three solid playthroughs before the game finally "clicked" with me.
Most people now play games with a mix of consoles and a PC. When did you make the switch from sticking to just one console or digital marketplace to a variety of platforms or digital marketplaces?
This week, Sparky_Buzzsaw has constructed a list that would make Mr. Rorie proud: a list of the best video game canines or dog-adjacent characters. See which characters made the cut and share any oversights you might have noticed.
- @emnii originally dismissed Hyper Light Drifter as nothing more than "Hard Zelda," but after playing it, they share why they regret judging it by its cover.
- @greenmonstah uses their review of Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare to detail why they think it represents the "end" of Call of Duty single player as we once knew it.