Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Game » consists of 32 releases. Released Oct 29, 2013

The sixth main installment of the Assassin's Creed franchise, set in the Caribbean during the age of piracy in the early 18th century. Players explore the memories of Edward Kenway, a charismatic pirate (turned reckless Assassin) and the grandfather of Connor Kenway, the protagonist of Assassin's Creed III.

Is there a way to upgrade the ships on your fleet?

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

I am in chapter 8 and I have reached a point where I can't take any of the new fleet missions, because my ships have 40 in storage at most and they require at least 45... I also noticed that, even among ships of the same class, some have more weapons or storage than others.

So, my question is, is there a way to upgrade the weapons/speed/storage of the ships on my fleet (maybe using money or tokens)? If not, how can I know beforehand the capacity of the ship I am about to board? Am I stuck with this ships limitation until I start capturing man o' wars?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@hermes: Frigates go up to 50 and Man of Wars are between 70 and 90. I don't know how to check before boarding either and as far as I know there is no upgrade option. I tried to capture high level ships, which usually have more cargo space. I've yet to find a Man of War with 90 cargo that I need for some missions.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#3  Edited By StarvingGamer

Check the level of the ship before you attack it/board it. The higher the level, the higher the stats. For example, a level 38 frigate has a cargo capacity of 60.

The highest level available per ship type is as follows:

• Schooner - 11
    • Brig - 25
    • Frigate - 38
    • Man O' War - 60
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

You need to board Man O' War ships in the actual game and send them to your fleet.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By hermes

Thanks for your answers...

I will try to engage more man o' war in the future...

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@hermes: You can take them on quite early if you manage to keep to the back of them. Also slow circle strafing sometimes works where they'll keep trying to turn into you for a salve from their broadsides but you'll keep just barely outrunning their range.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@hermes: Just make sure to upgrade your Jackdaw before engaging Man-o-Wars. Elite upgrades aren't necessary but it does make it easier.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The best in-class ships are slightly better than the average ships you often see. But, there is a sure fire way to get the best ships to come to you. If you raise up your "wanted rate" hunter ships will come at you and those hunter ships are the best in class.

Before even starting to build your fleet, buy half the upgrades for the Jackdaw. You need s strong Jackdaw to tackle pirate hunter Frigate and Man-O' Wars because they will come in groups.

The hard part is raising your wanted rate without getting overwhelmed. Tackling a few ships at a time, repair and send the ships you need to your fleet. Staying close to a fort you have fully taken over helps because the fort will pepper your enemies, and a fort is helpful to replace/buy ammunition for the Jackdaw.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By benspyda

Capturing new ships happens so often that you just scrap the old ones in favor of better ones.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.