Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Game » consists of 32 releases. Released Oct 29, 2013

The sixth main installment of the Assassin's Creed franchise, set in the Caribbean during the age of piracy in the early 18th century. Players explore the memories of Edward Kenway, a charismatic pirate (turned reckless Assassin) and the grandfather of Connor Kenway, the protagonist of Assassin's Creed III.

Just beat this game

Avatar image for deactivated-58670791014d2
    deactivated-58670791014d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

And as a huge fan of the Asssssin's Creed series I thought this game was kinda lame. The story was dull not much happened most missions were pointless and did not move the plot forward not enough outside the amimus stuff. And worst of all the sailing was so bad IMO did not like it at all. O well still excited for unity tho

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

And as a huge fan of the Asssssin's Creed series I thought this game was kinda lame. The story was dull not much happened most missions were pointless and did not move the plot forward not enough outside the amimus stuff. And worst of all the sailing was so bad IMO did not like it at all. O well still excited for unity tho

And Ubisoft wins again! :p

I enjoyed this game the first couple of hours, but then the story missions were frustrating me, mostly due to the mechanics not being great, to a point where I could not continue anymore. It's the same with Watch Dogs: at first I was overwhelmed by the world and the possibilities, but soon you realise it's all pretty shallow. The same missions start popping up as a story progresses that doesn't matter at all.
    I think I've got to somewhere at 75% of the AC4 story, but I don't have a clue what it is going on. I get that I'm a pirate played by some dude in the future world, but that's all. I also hate the quantity over quality feel I get from those games. A map thats littered with icons that lead to mini games I don't care about. The saddest part of completing the Watch Dogs story on the most difficult setting was that I had just over 30% completion of the game. Really, just 30%?! So I guess it's all about the collectibles and minigames and that shows just how much that story matters in their games...

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The whole series is stale imo. I havent enjoyed one since AC2. The story was never good. Its a interesting premise, interesting story not so much. Maybe if they revamped the combat so the AI doesnt feel like worthless trash I may enjoy the series again. Could use better sandbox elements as well.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@dussck: Same here, played a good 10 hours or so in it, and now can not be bothered to go back and play any more of it, which is what seems to always happen to me with AC games.

Unity looks great, but ultimately just the same as the previous ones, so not sure I will go ot of my way to pick it up.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

First one I played since the original. Didn't finish either of them.

I enjoyed my 8 or so hours with it, but these days I don't want content for the sake of content. Cool characters and a fun world, but there was just too much meaningless stuff to do that I couldn't not do.

If the alternative to little story was that first civilization crap... meh, I guess I'd prefer little story.

Unity looks neat and makes me think of Tenchu Z, but I think I've had my fill of the series for a while.

Avatar image for deactivated-58670791014d2
    deactivated-58670791014d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

It took me a while to beat this game I picked it up Day one with my X-box, all the other AC games I beat within a week but not this one.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

As a massive flag bearer for Assassin's Creed I can agree with the OP's opinion. As an AC game I just didn't enjoy it much, but as a Pirate game I thought it was spectacular. I put 42hrs into the game from opening to end credits. That's about 12 more hours than my previous record (29hrs and change with AC2). I'm not necessarily boasting or saying that I'm proud of it, but for the lack of detail in the plot and the lack of advancement, Ubisoft absolutely stuffed Black Flag with side content aimed at piracy. All of that stuff is fantastic, the main narrative and the meta story weren't given the same kind of attention and polish that's normally known in these games.

I've got mixed feelings on Black Flag. I too have recently finished it. I did like the game enough to pick up Freedom's Cry, the DLC/expansion. We'll see if that holds up any better for me than Black Flag does.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.