Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Game » consists of 32 releases. Released Oct 29, 2013

The sixth main installment of the Assassin's Creed franchise, set in the Caribbean during the age of piracy in the early 18th century. Players explore the memories of Edward Kenway, a charismatic pirate (turned reckless Assassin) and the grandfather of Connor Kenway, the protagonist of Assassin's Creed III.

Naval Combat

david3cm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So after its introduction in AC3, naval combat makes it's return in AC4. And just like AC3 I detest the naval combat. I find the ship unwieldy to control in a fight, you always seem to be outnumbered by better outfitted ships, and I am just plain horrible in any fight I engage in. But there seem to be a number of people who thought the sea faring segments of AC3 to be its only redeeming quality. So I implore you salty sea captains out there, share some tips and tricks and help me enjoy this game and keep my out of Davy Jones' Locker.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@david3cm: For one thing you're insane. Apart from that there's a fair amount of nuance to the combat unlike AC3 which was relatively simple but still fun. Swivels are much improved so if you land a good hit with a broadside or chain shot you can immediately follow up with a swivel to do more damage. Barrels might seem like they're useless to start out but for any ship that's trying to ram you they're great; position yourself facing the opposite direction of the charger (likely a brig), slow to one speed (half sail/main sail) until he's relatively close, then speed up (full sail) and drop barrels so they explode in his face; glorious!

The main thing to do early on is get to where you can upgrade your ship, once you upgrade your hull strength once you can take on most stuff in the first area but occasionally there will be a frigate (difficult) or a man-o-war (don't fuck with them); for my part a social event spawned when I first set out to sea and whatever ship it was killed me in two broadsides repeatedly, but I learned my lesson and progressed the plot a bit and I'm fairly sure I've taken out tougher stuff since then (most notably a super brig which was joined by a hunter brig mid fight; got me pretty low even though I had doubly upgraded hull; always run around notorious since it makes the game more awesome).

Use little ships in convoys (can't board gunboats but anything bigger, schooners mainly) as "medkits" so blast them until you can board them (magical white pillar/sails down/on fire) and then wait until you need some health then go heal, repeat.

deskp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Do take cover when you are getting fired at, it basically means you won't take damage.

SOmetime i do in battle with msot ships is that i stop my ship from moving, makes it easier to target. Also try aiming for the hull of the enemy ship.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By WickedFather

It's just circle strafing til you win. And open with mortars, you can hit them at 500 metres and get them to next to no health by the time they've closed in. I've given up on boat combat as I've got 1200+ metal, 62,000 cash and no plans for the final upgrades yet. Remember to just fire sideways without the aim if you're close so it uses your power cannons. I think they reload separately to the round shot as you can always hit LB and let them fly straight after.

lusence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

get up aside of them and aim with your round ball shots, then let go of aim and let loose with your heavy shots, follow up with taking out the vulnerable spots then repeat. so your best bet is to upgrade your armor and your heavy shot asap. for money head to the south seas there is a royal frigate that is worth 10k and its easy to take down once you upgrade a little bit. usually in the S by SE area not marked on your map though. I found for legendary ships least the ghost ship best way to it out is with upgraded round shots and keep fast moving around it just using round shot and blowing up the vulnerable spots between shots. must have full armor and weapons for legendary ships though. maybe mortars are the way to go for them but i burned out after upgrading armor and broad side cannons.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.