Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag

Game » consists of 32 releases. Released Oct 29, 2013

The sixth main installment of the Assassin's Creed franchise, set in the Caribbean during the age of piracy in the early 18th century. Players explore the memories of Edward Kenway, a charismatic pirate (turned reckless Assassin) and the grandfather of Connor Kenway, the protagonist of Assassin's Creed III.

"Uplay Passport" required for AC4 Content UPDATE: Syke!

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By spraynardtatum

UPDATE: Syke

Ubisoft has removed the Uplay Passport from Assassins Creed 4: Black Flag and from all future products. I believe that I was the main reason for this change. With this newfound power I am accepting requests for other program reversals.

Thought this was an interesting bit of news about the new Assassins Creed. Certain content, the ability to add an enemy ship to your fleet if you choose to board it rather than destroy it, is being held from players who buy the game used or borrow from a friend. They can access this content by purchasing a "Uplay Passport" which must be stamped and verified by Blackbeard himself.

Here is a link to the article

Gettin' Dat Paper

My main questions with this:

1. Why?

2. What the hell is a Uplay Passport and do I need it when I travel?

3. Why?

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Why are you people still buying stuff from Ubisoft???

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Baillie

Smart.

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vuud said:

Because I don't buy used and want to play their games so passes are irrelevant to me?

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By spraynardtatum
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Gives people a reason to buy it who don't care for multiplayer.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By mike

They're just slowly adding DRM to everything. The trick is to do it in small steps so people don't freak out too much when they can't play single player at all without their Uplay Passport.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RonGalaxy

Trust me, Ass Creed preorder singleplayer dlc is always shit. You arent missing out on anything if you dont buy it new

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

This is pretty gross. I wish Ubisoft didn't tie serviceable or good games to this kind of nonsense.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Don't care since I don't buy good games used.

Killercombo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I rented it and beat it without that stuff, the game never even touches on it.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killercombo: It sets a bad precedent. This is an online pass for single player content. The fact that it's pointless doesn't explain why they put it behind a paywall and I actually think that the fact that the actual content meaningless means it makes less sense. Sounds like it certainly isn't worth $10.

Also I find it crazy that we only found out about it after the game has already been released. This was super sneaky!

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uplay has been apart of Assassins creed for a while. I just got AC3 from amazon and decided to finally unwrap revalations so I can get back to playing that series so when I get a ps4, Black Flag can be played without waiting for older ones to be finished as I dont play games in a series before the original.. Except FF.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@vuud said:

Seriously. It's like Ubi hates their paying customers.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jakob187

Why can't more companies be like CD Projekt Red? *le sigh*

bellmont42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is just going to hurt people who bought the game and not pirates. It's obviously something added in later and this content is already in the game... so one of those cracking groups will figure it out in no time *sigh*. Similar happened with AC2 and its online saves or whatever was going on.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vuud said:

Why are people still buying AC games is even better question. Or why the hell is Ubisoft still making them.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By strainedeyes

Welp, looks like this restriction was removed, Kotaku. No more Uplay Passports.

In Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag, "Edward's Fleet" is an innovative online single player feature that allows players to interact with multiple players on consoles or via the game's companion app. Every new copy of Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag includes the Uplay Passport code needed to unlock this online feature. However, we listen to our community and understand that there are concerns over some players' ability to access this feature, so we have decided to eliminate the cost of the Uplay Passport for Black Flag. This ensures that everyone will be able to use the companion app, Edward's Fleet, online multiplayer and available bonus content at no additional cost.

Also, we will be eliminating the Uplay Passport program from all future Ubisoft games moving forward.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welp, looks like this restriction was removed, Kotaku. No more Uplay Passports.

In Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag, "Edward's Fleet" is an innovative online single player feature that allows players to interact with multiple players on consoles or via the game's companion app. Every new copy of Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag includes the Uplay Passport code needed to unlock this online feature. However, we listen to our community and understand that there are concerns over some players' ability to access this feature, so we have decided to eliminate the cost of the Uplay Passport for Black Flag. This ensures that everyone will be able to use the companion app, Edward's Fleet, online multiplayer and available bonus content at no additional cost.

Also, we will be eliminating the Uplay Passport program from all future Ubisoft games moving forward.

Wow, that's awesome. Good on em

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uplay Gate is horrible, get it out. What happens in Five years when someone wants to play this and they cant get the single player content to work?

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pleasantly surprised they eliminated it. I figured they could slip under the radar because of all the other news going on right now, but good on them for making the right choice and listening to public pressure. Power to the people!

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marokai: Yeah seriously. I'm amazed at how fast the change was. I'd kind of love to see how many people actually payed for a Uplay Passport within the span of 1.5 days.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.