Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed Unity

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Nov 11, 2014

The Assassin's Creed series heads to Paris, France, amid the French Revolution. The player controls Arno Dorian, an Assassin, as he attempts to disrupt and destroy the true powers behind the Revolution.

AC U barely above 30 FPS on a GTX 780

• 87 results
    ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

par for course considering AC4

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ubisoft should start treating their PC fanbase with some respect. The shitty ports have got to stop.

Still wouldn't get on console though. I can, at least, customize it to run well on PC. If it runs bad on console (and it will) then you're just boned.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'll wait till the Steam Holiday sale to pick this up then.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By bargainben

I assume the co-op mode was an excuse to require "always on" ubi server connectivity DRM, like the fleet stuff in Black Flag (which pirated copies were never able to access), and that's always going to mess with performance.

Avatar image for deactivated-60b3efc3d52d7
    deactivated-60b3efc3d52d7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The frame rate is fine but the stuttering is worse. I find it curious that they're talking about it having no loading screens when none of the other AC's did in-city either, the main cities are still separate and there are still loading screens between them.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@korwin said:

@hunkulese said:

@i_stay_puft said:

I just want to remind folks that AC IV on some beefy machines ran poorly as well on launch. Looks like the main way to play this is on the lowest possible settings or grabbing it on today's gen. consoles

I really don't understand this point of view. If you have a decent PC there's zero reason to get it for PS4. The PS4 is not running the game maxed at 1080p and 60 fps. It's 30 fps and 900p. You don't need a high end PC to beat that.

Indeed, the logic leap it takes to say "oh it's not immaculate on PC, better off playing a version that runs equal to or worse with lower visual quality" is quite strange.

Yeah, as a reminder those settings are maxed, before launch, without drivers. Even if it still doesn't run great after launch/with drivers you can just turn down some settings a couple notches and STILL get a better resolution/framerate than on consoles

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

@asilentprotagonist: Hey hey he updated the thread and has a good framerate now after updating drivers etc.

With the new drivers, and TXAA disabled (I'm on 4xMSAA) I get around 45-50fps during regular gameplay (in the beginning scene that I also used to capture those screenshots) and cutscenes. The cutscenes still drop into 20s though whenever there's a closeup on a face for some weird reason

Go to around page 4-5 and people seem to be more satisfied with how its running on the PC.

The OP then also said -

Runs better than Black Flag guys. lol On my machine.. at least.

Sounds good!

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i5-3550

gtx 770 4GB

8GB RAM

im hoping to get as much textures as i can with some decent shadows thrown in there and run it at a stable 37fps since ive overclocked my monitor to 72hz.

Capping the framerate with Afterburner and using Nvidias half-refresh rate has served me well in the past with third person games im playing with a controller.

Its a Ubi game so ive come in terms of never going to even try and go to 60fps with them, i do hope they dont fuck up FC4 though because im looking to get that at some point..and with FPS games 60 is the bare minimum.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, that's really shitty. Lets hope it gets fixed in a patch asap.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
    deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

This is why I don't by Ubisoft games on the PC.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@i_stay_puft: @mb: @mcfart: Funny thing is that the console versions are actually running even worse in the framerate department with talks of dipping into low 20s along with having gross bugs.

I'm not touching the PC version till the bugs and performance get fully ironed out but I much rather get the version that could at least be brute forced to run better

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#62  Edited By toowalrus

Hopefully y old 680 does alright if I knock a few things down.

Cretaceous_Bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tru3_blu3 said:

I'm going to run it on Medium or Low, then. Problem solved.

This shows an unfamiliarity with Ubisoft games. AC IV for me, and I read about a lot of other people experiencing the same thing, had about the same framerate whether it was on super high or super low. Every AC game has been like that for me, and their other games have had different ways of being total shitshows. AC: Revelations had a really weird microstuttery sort of thing that was really jarring, and then it just stopped halfway through the game. Far Cry 3 had microstutter like a bastard and I had to run it windowed and install a frame limiter to get it to stop.

I like Ubisoft's games, but they have so many problems and run so bad that it's easier just to give up on them. I want to play a game, not spend hours troubleshooting their shitty engine so that it'll even work, and by "work" I mean look bad and run like crap anyway.

FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toowalrus:

This game seems rushed in the performance on pretty much every platform, but according to GeForce this is a starting point with resolution on 1920x1080 and maintaining at least 40 frames per second. Remember that this is with an older build aswell as unoptimized drivers/game updates. with them, and upcoming updates, this will most likely change.

1920x1080AAAOBloomEnv. QualityShadowsTextures
    GTX 980TXAAHBAO+OnUltra HighPCSSUltra High
    GTX 970TXAAHBAO+OnUltra HighPCSSUltra High
    GTX TITAN BlackTXAAHBAO+OnUltra HighPCSSUltra High
    GTX TITANTXAAHBAO+OnUltra HighPCSSUltra High
    GTX 780 Ti2xMSAAHBAO+OnUltra HighPCSSHigh
    GTX 780FXAAHBAO+OnVery HighPCSSHigh
    GTX 770FXAAOffOnHighHighLow
    GTX 680FXAAOffOffLowLowLow

AA = anti aliasing | AO = Ambient Occlusion

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IIRC I got a huge FPS boost with AC4 just by turning off the shitty in-game AA and forcing it on through CCC. I am getting old though so I might be thinking of something else entirely.

Purplie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Purplie
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#67  Edited By bacongames

That's a shame but controlling for what max settings really means and what of those settings are worthwhile and relevant, then performance patches and drivers will come down the line. I don't see much of a contest between the choice of playing a better running game later or dealing with a buggier game on launch day. Speak nothing of the fact that games get cheaper over time.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#68  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

@colourful_hippie: I heard. My initial comment were made forgetting the game ran at 30 / 900p. I was also under the impression that the game was going to run decently on consoles like AC IV did the year before on PC. I could be wrong but I remember IV running better once proper patches came out for PC but that wasn't till weeks later. On any decent pc the game usually dethrones console versions any day of the week.

I personally enjoyed assassins creed games in the past but if it was a choice of spending more cash to upgrade my pc to play ac or spending money and getting a functional version on console I'd probably go with the latter. From what it sounds like the game right now is a cluster f*ck on pc and consoles till proper patches are out and I'll probably be skipping out on this one.

thornie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loving the game so far. So happy I didn't listen to the jaded reviewers on this one. My rig is a bit old but I'm running at 50-60fps on high at 1080p and the game looks incredible. I installed the new nvidia drivers before playing so that may have something to do with the lack tech issues on my end.

i5 2600k

8gb ram

Gtx 780

piggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game runs fine on my system. Actually seems like it runs better than AC4. I got Enviro quality at very high. and everything else at high and FXAA at 1080p. Also using D3Doverrider to force triple buffering. I would always have to use that on AC4 so I just did it on Unity as well. I haven't tried not using it yet.

i7 3770

GTX770 4GB

32gb ram

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@amyggen said:
    No Caption Provided

Yeaaaah, I'm glad I didn't just buy it - I was very close.

I'll gladly wait for optimization patches, geforce patches, etc.

Game looks amazing too!

Alek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Has anyone with a 970/980 Maxwell card tried forcing MFAA in Nvidia Inspector for this game? Better than the in-game MSAA/TXAA? I'd test it myself, but I'm going to hold off buying Unity until there's some serious patches and driver updates. Just curious.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Update - I just learned of this fix for the constant stuttering in the game. Here is how it works.

***Attention. Will not work for EVERY PC build and varies in effectiveness, but results are greatly positive for most builds.

1. Be In-game.

2. Ctrl+Alt+Delete, then go to task manager.

3. Right click "Assassin's Creed Unity" then select " Set Affinity"

4. Uncheck your last processor then press "Ok"

5. Go back and check your last processor again

6. Alt-tab back into the game and you should see a big performance boost.

Cheers :)

snakeitachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Update - I just learned of this fix for the constant stuttering in the game. Here is how it works.

***Attention. Will not work for EVERY PC build and varies in effectiveness, but results are greatly positive for most builds.

1. Be In-game.

Hooooly shit broo thank you so much i'm running the game 60 FPS nearly max now....... god damn thanks so much again!

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By korwin

1. Be In-game.

That on a Hyper-threaded CPU? Sounds like they aren't thread mapping correctly and sending something to the secondary HT thread that it can't handle properly.

ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin: The game is causing that to happen to almost everyone who is playing the game, this is to remedy it.

Np snake!

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin: The game is causing that to happen to almost everyone who is playing the game, this is to remedy it.

Np snake!

May have missed what I'm getting at, are you running a CPU with Hyperthreading (i.e. are you using an i7)?

ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By korwin

@asilentprotagonist: Hmm that's even stranger then, normally when that works I'd suspect an incorrectly allocated workload.

ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin: Wait with the game or our computers?

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 9

#82  Edited By coolarman

Was on the fence about buying this game but hearing all the mess surrounding the game just makes me just say "I think I'll buy Dragon Age instead".

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By korwin

Finally got a chance to quickly fire this up this morning (stupid AUS unlocked time). Cranked everything up to max with the exception of AA which I left on FXAA @ 2560x1440. Run fine, more than fine really. AC4 had spurts of higher framerates but the over all gameplay experience in Unity is smoother over all. I'm running the game with clocked up 980 and a 4770K.

That being said... I've already had 2 hard crashes inside an hour.

Alek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Alek

@korwin: Good to know. Did you try forcing MFAA via Nvidia Inspector?

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin: Good to know. Did you try forcing MFAA via Nvidia Inspector?

Haven't done that yet, will give it a shot one I'm home this evening. The game also seems enjoy a healthy amount of VRAM which is in my opinion wonderful. The source of AC4's stuttering woah's on PC seemed to stem from limited resource caching, the VRAM ceiling was seemingly fixed to 2GB and the game itself was only 32-bit so the thing was constantly going to disk and decompressing large assets on the fly.

It certain looks nice on PC, they seem to have had a big focus on complex environment geometry (all the triangles son).

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#86  Edited By avantegardener

i3 2100K

8g

GTX 660

dell ultrasharp u2713hm (2560 x 1440)

I can confirm it runs like grim death. Well rather, it runs ok, but the cut scenes are crazy choppy.

Edit: It seems to run reasonably well at 1080p on medium settings, cut scene slightly more stable.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Soooo, apart from the cutscenes that run like ass the game is running at a relatively stable 37fps for me using Medium environments, Low shadows, HBAO+, Bloom and injecting some SMAA on 1080p, textures on Ultra.

I have to use medium on environments because anything past that causes the game to just stop every 5mins or so to do something on the background, i mean it resumes after maybe 5 seconds every time but its just too annoying. Theres no hit on the framerate, it just stops to do something. I have no idea.

But goddamn if the game isnt buggy as shit holy hell, just had my first crash after i died and it tried to resume from a checkpoint.

Ubi should focus on fixing the game and not the microtransactions goddamn.

i5-3550

gtx 770 4GB

8GB RAM

Win 7 SP1

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.