Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 16, 2010

The third installment in the Assassin's Creed franchise, this game's story picks up right after the events of Assassin's Creed II, showing Ezio Auditore traveling to Rome to recruit a new force of assassins. Brotherhood is the first game in the series to offer online multiplayer.

Working My Way Through The Stack: AC Brotherhood

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Edited By jakob187
    Recently, I ranted about how I can never seem to finish a video game anymore.  In turn, it made me take a serious look at that stack and say "fuck this, you're going down".  Finally, the assault is on and "The Stack" is being put in a katahajime where there will be only one victor.  That victor, ladies and gents, happens to have a beard, long hair, and a fierce appetite for Raising Cane's for the last week or so. 

First on the list is a game that I had so much anticipation for:  Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.  What was the original reason for stopping the game?  Well, aside from the addictive-as-all-hell multiplayer, the single player itself was just too much of a slow burn.  After almost five hours wandering around Rome, there was so much to do that the focus on story seemed completely lost at some point.  This time, after firing the game back up, story has been the main focus. 

Folks, I come to you now with a clear head and full stomach when I exclaim these next words, and please, pay close attention: 

WHY IS IT TAKING SO FUCKING LONG FOR THINGS TO GET MOVING?

Thankfully, all this pent-up anger at lack of storytelling fuels my face-and-neck-stabbing.
     Thankfully, all this pent-up anger at lack of storytelling fuels my face-and-neck-stabbing.

It's beyond goddamn annoying that I have at least a good fifteen or so hours in this game or more and I do not feel like a fucking thing has been accomplished.  If anything, I feel like I just got out of Hold-My-Hand Land and now I'm arriving at We-Gonna-Throw-Tons-Of-Stupid-Shit-At-You Boulevard.  Don't get me wrong:  it's incredible the amount of depth that Rome has in it.  The sheer size of it seems incredible, and the architecture of everything is beautiful.  However, that same architecture also forces me to almost never use my horse, since he can't climb buildings and rock walls and every other vertical fucking surface they've planted in this game.  Hell, it's more worthwhile for me to just run across this massive field of grass to get to my next objective than it is to press Y, call my horse, mount him, and then fidget with the lackluster horse controls. 

When it all comes down to it, though, the only thing that I really care about is rarely being presented:  what is going on in the REAL world?  Ezio's world is interesting...I guess...but nowhere NEAR as interesting as it was in Assassin's Creed II (which some of you might remember me claiming as my Game of the Year 2009).  In AC2, things were streamlined in a magnificent way, and I always felt like shit was real.  There was enough bleeding through from the real world that it seemed like a solid and structured story.  In Brotherhood, things are a bit more freeform, since you can leave the Animus at any point.  However, you have to hunt down the story pieces in that.  If there was anything more annoying about the first Assassin's Creed than the repetitive nature of Altair's world, it was trying to find every piece of dialog with Lucy...or every little nook and cranny of extended story within the real world. 

I really want to like this game.  I honestly do.  However, if things keep dragging along at this pace, I'm pretty sure the only solution is going to be a bottle of hydrofluoric acid and gin.  The grating pain of that combination going into my gullet would be more bearable than trying to grind through all this bullshit just to get to the roots of the story that I want to see.  Ezio's world is fine, but that's not the honest reason that we play Assassin's Creed...is it? 

Well, is it?  Maybe I'm playing it wrong.  Maybe I'm interested in the wrong things.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By jakob187
    Recently, I ranted about how I can never seem to finish a video game anymore.  In turn, it made me take a serious look at that stack and say "fuck this, you're going down".  Finally, the assault is on and "The Stack" is being put in a katahajime where there will be only one victor.  That victor, ladies and gents, happens to have a beard, long hair, and a fierce appetite for Raising Cane's for the last week or so. 

First on the list is a game that I had so much anticipation for:  Assassin's Creed Brotherhood.  What was the original reason for stopping the game?  Well, aside from the addictive-as-all-hell multiplayer, the single player itself was just too much of a slow burn.  After almost five hours wandering around Rome, there was so much to do that the focus on story seemed completely lost at some point.  This time, after firing the game back up, story has been the main focus. 

Folks, I come to you now with a clear head and full stomach when I exclaim these next words, and please, pay close attention: 

WHY IS IT TAKING SO FUCKING LONG FOR THINGS TO GET MOVING?

It's beyond goddamn annoying that I have at least a good fifteen or so hours in this game or more and I do not feel like a fucking thing has been accomplished.  If anything, I feel like I just got out of Hold-My-Hand Land and now I'm arriving at We-Gonna-Throw-Tons-Of-Stupid-Shit-At-You Boulevard.  Don't get me wrong:  it's incredible the amount of depth that Rome has in it.  The sheer size of it seems incredible, and the architecture of everything is beautiful.  However, that same architecture also forces me to almost never use my horse, since he can't climb buildings and rock walls and every other vertical fucking surface they've planted in this game.  Hell, it's more worthwhile for me to just run across this massive field of grass to get to my next objective than it is to press Y, call my horse, mount him, and then fidget with the lackluster horse controls. 

When it all comes down to it, though, the only thing that I really care about is rarely being presented:  what is going on in the REAL world?  Ezio's world is interesting...I guess...but nowhere NEAR as interesting as it was in Assassin's Creed II (which some of you might remember me claiming as my Game of the Year 2009).  In AC2, things were streamlined in a magnificent way, and I always felt like shit was real.  There was enough bleeding through from the real world that it seemed like a solid and structured story.  In Brotherhood, things are a bit more freeform, since you can leave the Animus at any point.  However, you have to hunt down the story pieces in that.  If there was anything more annoying about the first Assassin's Creed than the repetitive nature of Altair's world, it was trying to find every piece of dialog with Lucy...or every little nook and cranny of extended story within the real world. 

I really want to like this game.  I honestly do.  However, if things keep dragging along at this pace, I'm pretty sure the only solution is going to be a bottle of hydrofluoric acid and gin.  The grating pain of that combination going into my gullet would be more bearable than trying to grind through all this bullshit just to get to the roots of the story that I want to see.  Ezio's world is fine, but that's not the honest reason that we play Assassin's Creed...is it? 

Well, is it?  Maybe I'm playing it wrong.  Maybe I'm interested in the wrong things.
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ninjakiller

I just started playing AC 1.  Jesus the combat sucks. Only sticking it out so I can do what Vinnie did, lay AC2 the Brotherhood.  

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By kingzetta

Was that the Iron Chef line?

Sorrowsan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Sorrowsan

im in the same boat, huge backlog of unplayed games. you have inspired me to start(and finish!) brotherhood, i shall start today! huzah!
    Avatar image for little_socrates
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#5  Edited By Little_Socrates

I really liked Brotherhood, and while the pacing definitely gets better, the game never really comes full circle for Ezio.

jorbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By jorbear

I think that AC2 is better than Brotherhood; Brotherhood has less depth from a story perspective, even though the gameplay is much improved.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jakob187
    @kingzetta said:
    " Was that the Iron Chef line? "
    I've never seen Iron Chef...so no? 

@Little_Socrates said:
    " I really liked Brotherhood, and while the pacing definitely gets better, the game never really comes full circle for Ezio. "
    I could care less about Ezio.  I want to know more about the crazy shit in the real world.  Do I get enough of that? 
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By kingzetta
    @jakob187 said:
    " @kingzetta said:
    " Was that the Iron Chef line? "
    I've never seen Iron Chef...so no? 

@Little_Socrates said:
    " I really liked Brotherhood, and while the pacing definitely gets better, the game never really comes full circle for Ezio. "
    I could care less about Ezio.  I want to know more about the crazy shit in the real world.  Do I get enough of that?  "
    old iron chef episodes are pretty good
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Little_Socrates
    @jakob187 said:  
    @Little_Socrates said:
    I could care less about Ezio.  I want to know more about the crazy shit in the real world.  Do I get enough of that?  "
    Unfortunately, it's all pretty much wrapped up in a half hour or so at the end of the game. There are emails that you can read at Desmond's computer in the meantime that MIGHT be hinting at a side-Assassin's Creed project. That's about it, though.
    Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
    Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

It seems that the team behind Brotherhood managed to improve just about everything except for the heavyhanded exposition that has plagued the series since the original.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jakob187
    @Everyones_A_Critic: I don't mind exposition, so long as it is leading somewhere.  Unfortunately, the exposition in this game all seemingly deals with Ezio's world, and frankly, I haven't cared that much about what was happening in there.  I finished Sequence 7 today, and a couple of things in Ezio's world happened that I actually DID care about.  Nonetheless, it's like I said in my OP:  we care about the world that Desmond is inhabiting, and aside from a couple of "get to know these guys" pieces of dialog, there's really nothing else happening there until the end.  I only know that something happens in the real world at the end because my friend has told me "yo, something involving Lucy and Rebecca happens at the end". 

With all that said, I'm at Sequence 7 now.  There are nine sequences if I remember correctly, and I've got one Leonardo War Machine piece to do.  Beyond that, it's just collecting feathers and flags and cleaning up other stuff.  When it comes down to it, I don't feel like I should be this late in the game.  The pacing has been terrible.  It felt like the first three or four sequences were little more than hand-holding tutorials, and things finally started happening in the fifth sequence.  Maybe it's the lack of focus in the story, as it's constantly going everywhere and anywhere between the different guilds.  When it's not doing that, it's introducing new characters left and right that are only good for one or two missions, and it ends up drawing a lot of focus away from the characters that I want to know more about.  Machiavelli, La Volpe, Claudia, Bartolomeo, etc.  None of these characters truly get a chance to be a part of the world, and instead, they are mere talk-boxes to lead you from one mission to the next. 

In short, the game...is kind of disappointing so far.  This thing has to have a MASSIVE bomb dropped into the story at the end in order to have any salvation for me.
    Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Little_Socrates

So, did you end up finishing AC: Bro before Bulletstorm? (I'll comment on that post when I play Bulletstorm.)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.