Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed III

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Oct 30, 2012

The fifth console entry in the Assassin's Creed franchise. It introduces the half-Native American, half-English Assassin Connor and is set in North America in the late eighteenth century amid the American Revolutionary War.

Naval combat is friken rad.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JZ

I've played all of the boat missions and that is like my new favorite thing ever.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MariachiMacabre

It's really exciting. Makes me want to see Ubisoft make a pirate game. The feeling of sinking a frigate with 2 volleys of heat shot is pretty awesome.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Oh man I should go back to AC3 but got hooked on NFS, connor still a teenager so much left.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
    addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really awesome, hope that system is a part of something bigger at some point

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Is there any way to upgrade the ship? I'm enjoying it, but I thought something the captain said implied that there would be ways to improve the ship later on.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By McGhee

This world is definitely in need of a good open world pirate game.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By supamon

Yeah I agree. Was floored by how fun it was and how it was a whole other system of missions and upgrades. Sinking ships left and right is really satisfying.

@FluxWaveZ There's a book beside harbormasters you can purchase upgrades from. They're really expensive though.

joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

@FluxWaveZ said:

Is there any way to upgrade the ship? I'm enjoying it, but I thought something the captain said implied that there would be ways to improve the ship later on.

Go to a harbormaster symbol on the map and right next to the person who takes you to sea is a book, look at the book that is where all the upgrades are. Be warned they are expensive.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By laserbolts

By far the most enjoyable stuff in AC3.

mpgeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mpgeist

The naval combat is the best part of the game. Like the first two AC's I am bored of the bread and butter gameplay about 6 hours in. I just don't think AC games are for me.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@supamon: @Joeybagad0nutz: Thanks for the responses. Heh, apparently they're expensive, so I guess I might not be too enthused when I realize I'll need to hunt a lot more than I currently am.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By xxizzypop

It's weird that we haven't had a thread about this already because, hell yeah, that naval combat is grossly and almost inexplicably compelling. That is the last thing that I really expected them to do well in this entry, and the demo totally looked like it would be some sort of on-rails sequence, but even just the tutorial sequence was some of the most tense, harrowing gameplay I've experienced thus far.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Blackout62

So clearly the lesson here is that Ubisoft Singapore, the team outsourced for the naval battles, needs to paid oodles of cash and put onto make a AAA pirate game.

saturnprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By saturnprime

I enjoyed the naval combat too. I know I wasn't terribly good at it, but loved screaming "Full Sail!!!!!" "Half Sail!!!" at my tv while turning hard in the midnight wave-tossed missions. I love Faulkner. "GO GET THAT WIND!!"

Oh, ramming... that was always satisfying.

Avatar image for deactivated-63e39f84edec3
    deactivated-63e39f84edec3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That feeling when a cannon salvo takes 4 ships at once...or when you ram into that tiny tiny boat

YEAAH FULL SAIIIIIIL

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dungbootle

Agreed, pretty awesome. Makes me wish for a new Pirates! game.

eternitymemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By eternitymemory

Dude, just trying to steer the damn thing stresses me out, to say nothing of actually attempting to hit my targets. Despite my suckage, I do enjoy those parts and kind of wish I remembered that there's more ship missions than the story sequences. I didn't think the naval stuff would be nearly as good as it turned out.

Mild spoilers:

Haytham needed to keep his goddamned backseat captain-ing to himself, though. If I had been able to detach myself from the wheel for a bit during that mission I probably would have shoved the dickhead overboard. >:\

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By GeekDown

Easily the most enjoyable part of the game. I also agree that Ubisoft should make a pirate game, or maybe a spin-off, Pirate's Creed or something.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bane

I was skeptical at first, but now having played it I can say it's my favorite part of the game. They would be fools not to develop the idea further, either in the next AC or into its own game. I haven't played anything like it since Destroyer Command ten years ago, which was also published by Ubisoft.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Mister_V

Yeah the naval combat in this is really fun. It reminds me a LOT of the naval combat in Empire Total War.

jerseyscum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jerseyscum

Even though I suck horribly at the naval combat, it's still freaking AWESOME.

Lord_Xp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Lord_Xp

The only other game I've ever liked that had to do with Naval warfare was sly cooper 3. This game made me nervous about the naval part since I though I'd be terrible at it and that it would make me hate the game. But instead it's made me very happy and can't wait to liberate the cities and move on to the naval aspect of the game. Very very pleased with the warfare.

thwip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By thwip

@dungbootle: That's exactly what I was thinking when I first got to the sailing section of this game.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By UitDeToekomst

I am terrible at it, and despise it more than any portion of any AC game to come before it. I guess it looks alright, but I hate the control, I hate how it fires, I hate the dialogue during the battles, I just hate everything about it. I am a pretty laidback guy normally, but the naval battles in this game have made me rage quit half a dozen times. The worst part is that unlike the shitty parts of prior AC games - which you could pretty much avoid with the exception of perhaps a tutorial - the naval combat MUST be partaken in during at least 3 missions to advance the game this time around. i find that very annoying, and it has brought to the point of possibly not finishing the game, as I am stuck on the battle at the beginning of sequence 11.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.