Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed III

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Oct 30, 2012

The fifth console entry in the Assassin's Creed franchise. It introduces the half-Native American, half-English Assassin Connor and is set in North America in the late eighteenth century amid the American Revolutionary War.

PC pre-order blues... steam pre-load?

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Nate

I've been holding off on the console version because I'm hopeful the PC version will be better (or at least look better & run more smoothly) as was the case with Brotherhood and Revelations. So about 2 months ago I pre-ordered on Newegg and got a great deal - $38 bucks (12 off all pre-orders). I had heard that newegg was not always great with release day delivery, but I thought oh well - it's 12 bucks cheaper and I'm a pretty big cheap ass. I can wait. But of course now that we are down to the wire I DON"T WANT TO WAIT. SO - call Best Buy, see if they are going to have any in stock. Probably not, they say. They are only getting 4 copies and dude thinks they are pre-orders. Maybe some other BB stores will have more, he says. Eh, I don't want to risk it.

Then I had the realization that I could get it on STEAM!! I frickin love steam and would rather have it there anyway. But I have pretty slow internet and to download 15-16 GB is going to take a while. Now I see that Steam says the game unlocks at 1 pm my time. 23 hours to go! I wish they would just release the dang thing at midnight. Anyone know if they might make it available for download (pre-load) at midnight? That seem like a possibility?

Anyway, I guess I should have just pre-ordered from Best Buy and picked it up tomorrow morning to get it in my hot little hands asap. It's amazing to me how I can be kinda on the fence about even buying the game now or waiting for a sale, but now that it comes down to it I need it NOW!

So, anyone else waiting for the steam unlock? Pre-order from somewhere else?

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I brought Skyrim and Deus Ex on disc and it installed though steam, AC3 might be the same. Im about 12 hours in to AC3 and if the PC release is way better I might sell my copy and buy it on PC. You can see the potiental for this being an amazing looking game on PC, you see glimpes of it in AC3 when you are running though the trees with the sun glare but if on PC it has great lighting, shadows and textures this could be the best looking PC game of the year,

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Nate
    @Bourbon_Warrior said:

I brought Skyrim and Deus Ex on disc and it installed though steam, AC3 might be the same.

I'm pretty sure it's not one of those. I looked in to that.
    Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By colourful_hippie

Yup, still waiting. My download won't take long but I like to be ready right when it unlocks. Hurry the fuck up, Ubi!

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

Anyway it's a fantastic game easily my game of the year, the mission design is the best it's been, some missions I have just finished remind me alot of a Hitman game because each mission has bonus objectives like do this without being seen or kill a guard from a air assasination, I've been hitting last check point alot trying to do the perfect run. Really keen to see how this PC version looks.

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Nate

@Colourful_Hippie said:

Yup, still waiting. My download won't take long but I like to be ready right when it unlocks. Hurry the fuck up, Ubi!

Lucky you. If I start downloading at 1 pm tomorrow I imagine it won't be done until 10 pm a the earliest. I'll probably just wake up at 4 am on Wednesday to get a couple hours in before work. ;)

EDIT: Now pre-loading. Thank you thank you thank you Steam (and/or Ubi). Should be ready for me to start playing tomorrow after work without a problem. Stoked!!!

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By kishinfoulux

So don't wanna start a new topic so I'll ask here. How does the PC version look and run?

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By AlexW00d

Huh, cause of this thread I now know that Ubisoft isn't releasing their games in the UK on Steam cause they're racists or something. THANKS OP.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By colourful_hippie

@kishinfoulux: It looks and runs beautifully. I'm running it nearly maxed out with medium AA at 1080p and I'm getting 50-60 frames. Holy shit this game just looks great with the higher res textures. I just posted a screenshot thread here.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kishinfoulux

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@kishinfoulux: It looks and runs beautifully. I'm running it nearly maxed out with medium AA at 1080p and I'm getting 50-60 frames. Holy shit this game just looks great with the higher res textures. I just posted a screenshot thread here.

Good to know thanks.

Nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nate

@kishinfoulux said:

So don't wanna start a new topic so I'll ask here. How does the PC version look and run?

Yup. Runs beautifully. I'm super happy I waited for the PC version. Worth it.

gjedwards

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gjedwards

@AlexW00d: the weirdest thing is that i know for a fact that they had a page for it last week on steam, but you couldnt buy it it just said not currently available. i guess the deal fell through between them. i dont see why they would sell it on steam in the US but not in the UK

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By colourful_hippie

@gjedwards said:

@AlexW00d: the weirdest thing is that i know for a fact that they had a page for it last week on steam, but you couldnt buy it it just said not currently available. i guess the deal fell through between them. i dont see why they would sell it on steam in the US but not in the UK

There was a time when the game was pulled from the US store and then it was back up again so maybe it will be back up again for the launch date.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AlexW00d

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@gjedwards said:

There was a time when the game was pulled from the US store and then it was back up again so maybe it will be back up again for the launch date.

I asked John form RPS if he knew anything about it and he just said it was cause they are pushing their Uplay bullshit. Dunno why just here though :(

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By colourful_hippie

@AlexW00d: What a load of shit. I noticed the Uplay shit cuz it loads up a UI after you launch the game in Steam but at least it's in the Steam library. That's just weird that the UK got singled out.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AlexW00d

@Colourful_Hippie: Racism man, that's what it is :(

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By colourful_hippie

@AlexW00d: OK so apparently Ubi made some kind of dumb deal with retailers that results in the game not being listed in Steam until day of release to day after. So things should be fine here soon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.