Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed III

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Oct 30, 2012

The fifth console entry in the Assassin's Creed franchise. It introduces the half-Native American, half-English Assassin Connor and is set in North America in the late eighteenth century amid the American Revolutionary War.

Ubisoft unveils box art for ACIII

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By ImperiousRix

@FriskyHeadCrab said:

Um, so all this speculation over patriotism. You guys actually played those other assassin's creed games right? When was any faction/country/religion portrayed in a good light?

Also: the main character is obviously either native american, or informed/equipped by them. I doubt he'd have much love for either side of the revolutionary war. So, you know, cool your jets there Downton Abbey.

This.

@Simulacrum:

I am seriously just considering getting it locked since it's swerved WILDLY into an area I never intended. Besides, Alex has his post up now, so if people really want to continue this 'discussion' they could do it over there.

fisher81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#102  Edited By fisher81

I can't believe how badly so many of you are reacting to this. It's a video game.

I'll honestly never look at this community the same way again.

Simulacrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By Simulacrum

@ImperiousRix: That would probably be for the best.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#104  Edited By Justin258

@AlexW00d said:

@Cronus42 said:

@AlexW00d said:

Eurgh. Why not a location with some culture and actual history? What a let down.

What? Regardless of your stances on the US, I'm pretty sure that the formation of the country is considered "actual history."

Also the character might be Native American, that's deffinately a standout culture.

I don't know if you've played any of the previous games, but they were all set in locations with a certain aesthetic appeal; the US during the 18th century isn't going to be much more than wooden shanties and the like, and if the new protagonist is of a Native tribe, whilst that'd be cool, the architecture is still going to be boring.

And at that time, the British colonies that stood on the coast were pretty young, and nothing of real note had even happened there, except for the mass murder of thousands of innocent natives.

I understand how it would be an easy go to because of Britain vs newborn America would be good for the protagonist to get involved with, most likely calling out the British as Templars to gain favour and sell well in the US, it just doesn't have the cultural depth as Renaissance Italy did, and that was half the point of the game for me.

I'm more worried about architecture than cultural depth. Reneissance Italy had tall buildings, many rooftops, and was altogether quite a city. When the Revolution came along, there was some of that but hardly enough to even closely rival the cities of Europe during the Renaissance.

Alexwood, when you first wrote "a location with culture and actual history", it sounded like you were really criticizing America. It still does sound that way. There's plenty of culture there, but it isn't there in a way that would really make a good Assassin's Creed game. That culture was one of a group of people trying to gather some semblance of sophistication, and thus it's definitely more "primitive" than one that's been around for a long time. As for history? Well, there's tons of that during the later 1700's. Again, though, like culture I'm just not sure it's something that could be really done well in a video game.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#105  Edited By Hamz

This thread is getting a little out of hand. Lets all chill out and remember this is a site about video games, lets get back to discussing the topic at hand.

Given that Alex has now posted an article about this, show some love to his journalistic ability and leave a comment HERE!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.