Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed III

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released Oct 30, 2012

The fifth console entry in the Assassin's Creed franchise. It introduces the half-Native American, half-English Assassin Connor and is set in North America in the late eighteenth century amid the American Revolutionary War.

Will the British be the only enemy?

• 79 results
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mikemcn

We've only been exposed to a small amount of marketing about this game, but I can't help but notice an early trend, the British seem to be the bad guys from what has been shown, maybe time will reveal that there are other enemies, but it seems kinda weird to me...

• The other Assassin Creeds did not have Ezio pick sides in a conflict, 1 had him as a member of a third, neutral faction which we found out had plenty of problems of its own, while 2, Brohood, and revelations had him dealing with all sorts of groups and factions most of whom were little more than thugs.
    • Throughout all the other games, regardless of who Ezio is working for, the Templars were the enemy, for example, in Brotherhood he messed with the Catholic Church a bunch but only so far as to eliminate the templar members within, are we supposed to assume that all of England is controlled by them at this point, and that they're the ones oppressing the colonies? Like in AC1, both sides should have flawed leaders, but I worry it's too easy for them to just say "Yea Freedom! Death to the imperialist jerks!"
    • He's an assassin, no matter who wins the war he will be able to keep doing what he is doing, why pick sides?
    • As an American, I think the British were in the wrong, that doesn't mean I have a reason to act like the rebels were perfect beings who were motivated entirely by their selfless want to gain freedom for their people. You can make some of them bad, you can make some of the British good, I don't want to fight an army of British James Bond Villains, make them complicated, like, i don't know, real people.

Do you think the game will allow for your character to walk a fine line between the factions, or do you think you'll be forced into siding with one faction or the other?

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By FLStyle

I assume the American Revolution is not so big of an event that the assassins and/or templars will pick one side over the other and that we'll see both American templars and British assassins.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By PeasantAbuse
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By CL60

According to gameinformer.

-Not all the Colonists will be cast as good people, and not all the British will be cast as evil oppressors. They're trying to focus on how both the Assassins and Templars viewpoints exist in a gray morality as the Templars really believe they're saving the world.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AlexW00d

As he is, at least partly, native, I imagine he'll be killing both Englishmen and Americans. After all both parties killed the shit out of his people, and Assassin's Creed has always been about killing motherfuckers, as opposed to taking sides.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CL60
    RedRoach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By RedRoach

The game informer article said that neither one is going to be the blatant mad group. There won't be black and white, and there will be templars on both sides.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By MariachiMacabre

My guess is there will be Templars and Assassins on both sides. Curiously, from the information I've read, it seems Washington is an ally of yours but historically he was a Master Mason.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PeasantAbuse
    Avatar image for deathstriker666
    deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By deathstriker666

Hopefully

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By MooseyMcMan

In one of the screenshots released, it looked like he was overlooking a camp filled with bandits, or at least guys who weren't wearing red coats, so I don't think they will be.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Spoonman671

I still don't know why the Templars are bad.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mikemcn

@PeasantAbuse said:

@CL60 said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

http://www.giantbomb.com/assassins-creed-iii/61-37494/game-informer-details/35-537887/#58

"Not all the Colonists will be cast as good people, and not all the British will be cast as evil oppressors. They're trying to focus on how both the Assassins and Templars viewpoints exist in a gray morality as the Templars really believe they're saving the world."

I HATE YOOOOUUUU

;)

Peasant provided a link, therefore he wins, i'm sorry.

@Jason_Bourne said:

The game informer article said that neither one is going to be the blatant mad group. There won't be black and white, and there will be templars on both sides.

It's weird they only showed him killing British footsoldiers while Washington did his dramatic voiceover, made the whole thing seem very anti-merry-old-England. I suppose they wanted an revolutionary icon (Not many people think General Howe when they think revolutionary war.)and they couldn't have Washington being all patriotic while Conner killed evil minutemen.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By Bwast

Just like in real life, yes.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By fox01313

With so many different cultures colonizing that part of the area, it'd be easy to just jump on a boat in game & be off in some of the southern Spanish colonies, French Canada, some island in the Caribbean or just a bunch of native tribes near the US colonies.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By benspyda

@Spoonman671 said:

I still don't understand the Assassins Creed story in general and I've played all but Revelations.

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CABBAGES

as much as i hate being British im from Scotland and you just Said "are we supposed to assume that all of England is controlled by them at this point"

Britain is Scotland, England, Northern Ireland and Wales.

But i hope that most of the British in the game are english and have an english accent as this will make it a lot easier and more fun to kill them all :D

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@benspyda said:

@Spoonman671 said:

I still don't understand the Assassins Creed story in general and I've played all but Revelations.

I think somebody eats a golden apple at one point or something.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MikeGosot
    @PeasantAbuse said:

@benspyda said:

@Spoonman671 said:

I think somebody eats a golden apple at one point or something.

It's all about the murder. In the past. But actually in your mind. Because DNA, or something.
    NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By NickL

@Mikemcn said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

@CL60 said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

http://www.giantbomb.com/assassins-creed-iii/61-37494/game-informer-details/35-537887/#58

"Not all the Colonists will be cast as good people, and not all the British will be cast as evil oppressors. They're trying to focus on how both the Assassins and Templars viewpoints exist in a gray morality as the Templars really believe they're saving the world."

I HATE YOOOOUUUU

;)

Peasant provided a link, therefore he wins, i'm sorry.

@Jason_Bourne said:

It's weird they only showed him killing British footsoldiers while Washington did his dramatic voiceover, made the whole thing seem very anti-merry-old-England. I suppose they wanted an revolutionary icon (Not many people think General Howe when they think revolutionary war.)and they couldn't have Washington being all patriotic while Conner killed evil minutemen.

Washington is going to be a key character in the game, as stated in that Game Informer article.

The assassin could easily be just helping him.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By Dany

This isn't a game of Colonists vs. British vs. Native Americans.

This is Templar vs. Assassins.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By endaround

@CABBAGES said:

as much as i hate being British im from Scotland and you just Said "are we supposed to assume that all of England is controlled by them at this point"

But i hope that most of the British in the game are english and have an english accent as this will make it a lot easier and more fun to kill them all :D

Actually there should be a ton of Hessians so like in all games Germans are the true villains.

I'm expecting a War of 1812 sequel just so Ubisoft Montreal can show Canada kicking the US's ass. The whole series has been just one big set up for that.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FunExplosions

Yes, but the final boss is of course your American friend who -- turns out -- is a spy for the British. He can fly, too.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By EvilTwin
    @FunExplosions said:

Yes, but the final boss is of course your American friend who -- turns out -- is a spy for the British. He can fly, too.

Benedict Arnold?
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jimbo

The whole thing could be like... a power struggle being fought within the Templars, and the Assassin order being manipulated by what just turns out to be one group of Templars against another. It works with Washington switching sides, and he does sound a little sinister towards the end of the trailer. Maybe the King is beng Appled into further inciting the colonies into revolution by Washington's Templar bros, instead of just saying "yeah that tax thing sounds fair, lets do that". Would it be a step too far to openly portray Washington as a bad guy though? Would that reveal be too similar to the end of AC1? Maybe, but it'd also be ballsy, and pretty funny given the conclusions some are jumping to. I reckon it'll be something like that anyway. At some point the Templar vs. Assassin thing has to get a little more nuanced if they're gonna keep basing games on it.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mikemcn

@Jimbo said:

The whole thing could be like... a power struggle being fought within the Templars, and the Assassin order being manipulated by what just turns out to be one group of Templars against another. It works with Washington switching sides, and he does sound a little sinister towards the end of the trailer. Maybe the King is beng Appled into further inciting the colonies into revolution by Washington's Templar bros, instead of just saying "yeah that tax thing sounds fair, lets do that". Would it be a step too far to openly portray Washington as a bad guy though? Would that reveal be too similar to the end of AC1? Maybe, but it'd also be ballsy, and pretty funny given the conclusions some are jumping to. I reckon it'll be something like that anyway. At some point the Templar vs. Assassin thing has to get a little more nuanced if they're gonna keep basing games on it.

You can't make Washington a bad guy, by all accounts he was legitimately a good person, I would be kinda pissed if they did that, maybe if they had him under the influence of the apple or something, that could work.

@Dany said:

This isn't a game of Colonists vs. British vs. Native Americans.

This is Templar vs. Assassins.

I think it will be, they should have showed some shadowy dudes with templar crosses on their shoulders getting axed instead.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Shun_Akiyama

lets ask questions that no one can answer

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @MooseyMcMan said:

In one of the screenshots released, it looked like he was overlooking a camp filled with bandits, or at least guys who weren't wearing red coats, so I don't think they will be.

Climb a tree and overlook a bandit camp under the moonlight... oh my fucking godddddddddddddd<333333333
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@AhmadMetallic said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

Climb a tree and overlook a bandit camp under the moonlight... oh my fucking godddddddddddddd<333333333

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mikemcn

@AhmadMetallic said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

AHHHHHHHHHHH that does sound pretty nifty.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By sopranosfan

Oh quit trying to placate the British, they are the bad guys and always have been. NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION!!!!!!!

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xyzygy

I heard you can send pigeons asking for help from the Native Canadian tribes.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By penguindust
    "Benefits of a classical education."

Sure, the British have the best accent for evil. Think of all the great movie villains. What do they have in common? British accents. I think it's because we Americans feel inferior to our motherland (of sorts) and so we cast them as the bad guys in order to feel better about ourselves. The British accent (the one most Americans think of, not all the other varieties) sounds smarter than our slack-jawed corruption of the English language and so perhaps feeling a bit paranoid, it's easier to believe them to be villainous. Folks with some book-learning are always scheming something fierce, aren't they?

Avatar image for deathstriker666
    deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By deathstriker666

It might cause Ubisoft some unwanted press attention if you're able to stab George Washington in the face. Still, what type of enemies you fight don't matter as long the Uh Uh Uh Uh Uh's are still deep and satisfying. Heh....

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By LaserLambert

maybe some Hessians...?

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Arker101

YEAH. We flipped some tea off a boat! Suck it!

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Bones8677

@PeasantAbuse said:

I admit I only played AC2 and Brotherhood, but based on those two games - the Templars seem like they want to take over the world with an iron fist. So I don't know where this "wanting to save the world" angle is coming from.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bones8677

@PenguinDust said:

"Benefits of a classical education."

Sure, the British have the best accent for evil. Think of all the great movie villains. What do they have in common? British accents. I think it's because we Americans feel inferior to our motherland (of sorts) and so we cast them as the bad guys in order to feel better about ourselves. The British accent (the one most Americans think of, not all the other varieties) sounds smarter than our slack-jawed corruption of the English language and so perhaps feeling a bit paranoid, it's easier to believe them to be villainous. Folks with some book-learning are always scheming something fierce, aren't they?

Hans Gruber is German...

daftdethmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By daftdethmonkey

I wonder why they are wasting time with more animus stuff, by the end of Revelations doesn't Desmond know everything he needs to know to fight his real enemy:

the sun, or aliens or whatever the crap it's meant to be.
    Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ShadowConqueror

The British are always the enemy.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By GuyIncognito

@CABBAGES said:

Man up, Scotts. Secede already!

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AuthenticM

@Spoonman671 said:

They are trying to get the technology of the ancient civilization up and running so they can enslave humanity.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mordukai

I would buy the game and come back to the AC franchisee (I haven't played an AC game in full since AC2) if they offer me the option to scalp my victims.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Vorbis

For every Red Coat I'm forced to kill, I will murder 5 random colonists.

How's that for being a villain?

Cabbage_TheMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Cabbage_TheMan

@fox01313 said:

With so many different cultures colonizing that part of the area, it'd be easy to just jump on a boat in game & be off in some of the southern Spanish colonies, French Canada, some island in the Caribbean or just a bunch of native tribes near the US colonies.

That would be really cool! Maybe some expansions / sequel content. Although I would rather see a sequel go off to the French Revolution.

This Neogaf thread shows that the French and Indian War may play a huge role as well.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By sickVisionz

If the main guy is part Native American, you should be killing plenty of colonists as well. I mean, they did try to genocide your people. It'd be silly if you reaction to that was BFF.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By VisariLoyalist

should prolly go something like this

jmood88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jmood88

It's funny to me that this concern is popping up. You've been in the middle of a war with various countries for the previous 4 games and this "will we have to pick sides" thing was never an issue.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Hopefully we'll get to kill some Americans too.

ErEl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ErEl

I believe the American traitors will be the primary enemies. Or at least that's the word that's going around.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.