Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Oct 02, 2018

Assassin's Creed Odyssey brings the franchise to Greece in 431 BCE for a story about family and mysterious cults.

Alexios or Kassandra?

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Edited By Sessh

Poll Alexios or Kassandra? (481 votes)

Alexios 12%
    Kassandra 70%
    I'll do two playthroughs, one with each. 2%
    I don't care. 16%

As someone who can spend hours in character creation/selection screens, AC Odyssey turned out to be another personal nightmare.

I know there's virtually no difference story wise and even the dialogue seems to mostly be the same, but I still can't decide on anything.

So help me out guys and girls and tell me who you picked and if you are happy with your choice. Thanks in advance.

• 
    Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Alexios channels every other generic dude protagonist in video games and Kassandra represents something we don't get to see very often. I think she also has the better voice acting.

Also I think she is technically (based on the novel which I'm sure is great) the 'canon' protagonist if your the type where such a thing would matter.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After watching the QL I decided I'd rather be the creep than be creeped upon.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ares42: Oh that's not gonna change very much.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By MattGiersoni

Ever since reveal, I have been #TeamKassandra. Don't regret my choice, she's just way more interesting imo and way cooler. Alexios just seems, I dunno, boring. Felt the same way about Evie and Jacob from AC: Syndicate, Evie is way better than Jacob and I wish it was possible to play all missions with her. (so happy Odyssey is structured that way!) I'm also super tired and bored of playing the cliche "tough, dark-haired, straight white dudes" who are protags in like 95% of games (all games not just AC) so whenever there's another option I'm gonna choose it.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alexios seems to get a lot of hate but I actually like him. He seems like a lovable goofball thats a bit dim.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Kassandra. No question for me.

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Her face is beautiful to look at in cut scenes! And she wears some really cool armors. I think I usually play the female character in RPGs and 3rd person because I prefer looking at a female for hours. I played Mass Effect123 as male initially and just played it all again (+andromed) as a female and liked it better. And I had sex with everyone as the male Shepard, and no one as the female. Same in Odyssey, I am having sex with no one (so far) as Kassandra. It seems so shoehorned in and unnatural. "Here is the head of your enemy. You're cute, let's fuck!" It seems you can do it with a lot of different NPC, but I hear it just fades to black anyway. Overall Odyssey is wide but not so deep. Give me just a couple sex incidents but make them quality or just leave it out! Same with a lot of the side missions.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MerxWorx01

@memu: I'm certainly not going to tell you how to approach the game but there are some really weird scenes that occur when you decide to "do the do". I don't think it changes much gameplay wise but story missions play out slightly differently if you decide to bang. Also the day long cut scene where a dude is playing music, having dinner or chatting with friends while he's waiting for his wife and Kassandra to finish "knowing each other... biblical sense" was kind of funny. He even paid you extra for it.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ivdamke
    @mattgiersoni said:

I'm also super tired and bored of playing the cliche "tough, dark-haired, straight white dudes" who are protags in like 95% of games (all games not just AC) so whenever there's another option I'm gonna choose it.

Alexios is a white dude now? Weird, I coulda sworn he's Greek.

(you can also play him as gay or bi)

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MattGiersoni

@ivdamke You're right, I apologize. Shoulda been more clear, my point is that most AAA games still have a dark-haired, tough looking dude, mostly white as protags and I'm just tired of playing that type of characters. The description was aimed at that general type of characters. Only in recent years that has started to change and we got a lot more diversity among male characters as well as lots of women protagonists, both groups of different races and orientations and so on. It's just nice to see more representation and diversity.

I'm actually curious to see in following months some stats percentages between Kass and Alexios. I'm sure Ubi will show some infographic, they did one for Origins if I'm not mistaken.

The_Ruiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_Ruiner

@ivdamke said:
    @mattgiersoni said:

I'm also super tired and bored of playing the cliche "tough, dark-haired, straight white dudes" who are protags in like 95% of games (all games not just AC) so whenever there's another option I'm gonna choose it.

Alexios is a white dude now? Weird, I coulda sworn he's Greek.

(you can also play him as gay or bi)

Greece is located in Europe. So I guess whether or not he's white depends on your definition of white. I've certainly seen people taughting Greek accomplishments as things white people have contributed to society and as the cradle of western civilization. Would you consider Italian white? There's a lot of cultural elements they share over the centuries and they're geographically close to one another. Where is the line? Some would say it's the Europe/Asia border but others might not. I work in New York and there is a large Greek community in Queens. Some of my Greek friends identify as white and some don't. So it might not be as cut and dry as your snark would suggest.

Memu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@merxworx01: Good to know! I am only level 16 yet so I probably have some more chances to do it. It has just been so awkward each time so far. I almost did the delphi sister.

norm9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Picked Kassandra and based on the five or six hours I've played, her being a woman makes the story much more tragic, so far.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kassandra because I watched a comparison video and thought Alexios voice acting didn't seem great, like many have said. Though, now playing, the game feels pretty silly right from the start so he may of fit right in.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Everyone seems to be picking Kassandra and she is the canon choice, so naturally I'm going with Alexios. I think he actually makes a lot of sense, I want to play as a brutal Spartan warrior, so obviously that would entail being sort of a meathead.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By soulcake

Kassandra is definitely growing on me, voice acting is pretty okay. The weird thing for me is them talking in modern greek accents. But then nobody knows how Greeks sounded back then.

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Kassandra. Easy choice.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every time I see Kassandra's massive scar covered biceps I'm rewarded in knowing my choice was perfect. She's an incredibly, uniquely designed protagonist. I honestly can't think of any other intentionally designed, jacked girl main playable character. It's refreshing. Nothing against Alexios, but he feels a bit too generic and safe to me, from a design standpoint.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burncoat: Yeah it's a real nice chance of pace. Many games are getting better about having good female protagonists but they still fit a... particular aesthetic. Kassandra is a proper warrior as a day job and looks the part.

NameRedacted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kassandra.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By all accounts there's absolutely zero reason to choose the meathead

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could be wrong but it kinda feels like Alexios was added just to appeal to the types who get mad or refuse to play as woman characters based on how everyone talks about how boringly written and voice acted he is.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bradbrains: Only the performance is different. Other than that the characters are more or less interchangeable. They only have minor differences in the writing.

I think after Unity's coop debacle they're just doing both to not have that instance again.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I wound up choosing Kassandra, everyone was correct, she's pretty great.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Tennmuerti

I was leaning towards Alexios, because of what Alex said he is more of a goofball and might fit the crazy world more (also coming off of mr. serious Byak), plus pretty much everyone I follow on streams is playing Kassandra so it would be nice for a different experience. Thirdly I think her jog animation looks awful (especially compared to how awesome animations we in some previous AC game, like 3).

But having looked up the comparisons of conversations ... just oooof, Alexios voice acting feels real all over the place and out of place with many scenes and frequently at odds with even the sound design around him and everyone else and even his own animations. It seems hella cheap/rushed. While I don't think Kassadra is in any way shape or form stellar (from what I have seen), it's a far cry from femshep for example, she is just barely above average. I think I will take at least baseline competency and not feeling out of place from the scene the character is in. So Kassandra it is.

Avatar image for securityguruguy
    SecurityGuruGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only played up until the part where you get a boat, but so far I think Alexios is fine. I think he is supposed to be a kind of clueless meat head, and the conversations seem to play up that angle. I look at the Disney Hercules and I think that the intelligence level of those two are probably equivalent. Some interactions make him seem like he is totally lost or that he is pretending to know what the other person is talking about, and I kind of like how freely the developers just went with the big love-able dummy.

I initially picked him because everyone else is going Kassandra, but I like it because he seems like what I'd imagine a mercenary for hire back then would have been like. He seems like a guy who found out he was better at fighting than anyone else around, so he just focused on that and nothing else, which I think fits from his backstory.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Kassandra is fantastic! I'm about 10 hours in, and I think she's really well done. The voice acting is great and the character seems well fleshed out.

I did not try Alexios, but as others have stated, seems very much like the generic video game dude protagonist. Not that he's done poorly, just that its a common mold. I really enjoy how Kassandra is breaking that mold.

AdamALC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AdamALC

I picked Alexios and he is fine, but at the end of the day they are pretty much the exact same except for a different model so I don't think it really matters.

nasher27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By nasher27

I picked Alexios and I haven't noticed anything wrong with his voice acting. Other than the weirdly goofy tone of a lot of it, but I'm getting that from other characters as well and not just his voice acting (which most people seem to be blaming it on). Seems pretty par for the course for AC games and hasn't been impacting my enjoyment so far after 12 hours.

Also I have no idea what is going on with the accents in this game. I guess all Spartans have Scottish accents because of Gerard Butler in 300 (this is especially noticeable in the intro).

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Hmm , seeing as everyone else is saying that Alexios voice acting is not off putting during gameplay (I've only watched some comparison videos) I think I'm back on board of rather giving him a try :P In any case if it becomes jarring early on i can just switch.

nasher27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By nasher27

@tennmuerti: I think a lot of people's negative impressions are from the first island, which has a much more innocent/goofy tone than the rest of what I've played so far. Once things get more serious in the story, I haven't had any problems with his character or his performance.

Max_Cherry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Max_Cherry

Kassandra

WixedWon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither. Straight up don't play this game.

nasher27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think there's another factor in this discussion that is worth bringing up.

First 12-15 hours spoilers: I think Kassandra makes a really great antagonist. Makes me more happy with my Alexios choice.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nasher27 said:

I think there's another factor in this discussion that is worth bringing up.

First 12-15 hours spoilers: I think Kassandra makes a really great antagonist. Makes me more happy with my Alexios choice.

I dunno I deeply appreciate just how much Alexios GNAWS on the scenery as a villain though.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty said:

By all accounts there's absolutely zero reason to choose the meathead

which one? they're both meatheads lol

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.