Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Oct 02, 2018

Assassin's Creed Odyssey brings the franchise to Greece in 431 BCE for a story about family and mysterious cults.

Havent Assassin Creed'd for a while... This or Origins?

Junkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

So after a healthy break from Assassins Creed (since Black Flag) I've been starting to get excited with some of the changes I've heard with Origins after their -praise be- hiatus.

Now its looking like Odyssey is shaping up to be Originsesque - for those who've been following it more closely is it looking like its going to be a worthy follow up to last years game?

I know one isn't out yet, but I'm more interested in the Greek setting then Egypt; but I just know I'm only going to have it in me to play one of the two before it'll start feeling like a checklist grind between cutscenes.

Cheers!

meteora3255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By meteora3255

Odyssey seems like it is leaning even heavier into the RPG elements with dialog trees and romance options. That being said Origins is a great game, Bayek is a great character and the setting features Greeks and Romans prominently.

Bottom line is that Odyssey is likely going to be very similar to Origins, so there is at least a baseline of quality to the mechanics. Since you didn't play Origins you likely won't feel as fatigued by another game in that style which means Odyssey will feel fresher (and possibly better) than it might for me. Of course Origins is cheaper and a known quantity.

I'd say Origins.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By BaneFireLord

Origins is a fantastic known quantity (in my opinion, at least...it was my GOTY for 2017) and much cheaper than Odyssey. However, if the Greek setting compels you more than Egypt and if you liked Black Flag's boat stuff, I'd say it probably makes more sense to get Odyssey since it seems like it's making smart improvements on Origins (Armor loot! Praise be!). That said, wait for the reviews...if it's a buggy mess, maybe get Origins after all.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I mean Origins is great and you could get it for a steal, then wait until next year when Odyssey is cheap.

Or if you have FOMO, pick up Odyssey this time around.

Charongreed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

There is a fair amount of Greek in Origins, but with big deserts and pyramids too. Some crazy mythological stuff too, but that got paid off really well in the big boss challenges, but I don't know if those are still going? Should be, I would think? But you actually get a wrist blade in Origins, where Odyssey seems like your just get that spear head, and at that point it's not even an Assassin's Creed game anymore.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Origins because you can play it right now! It's really good.

Spencero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Start with Origins and if you can wait until Black Friday there will be a sale for the Gold Edition that is worth it. This is one of the few games where the DLC is actually as enjoyable and genuinely feels like it continues the game.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Origins is great, but if you don't particularly care about the story, then go for the newer one, seems to be pretty darn good.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Efesell

@charongreed said:

There is a fair amount of Greek in Origins, but with big deserts and pyramids too. Some crazy mythological stuff too, but that got paid off really well in the big boss challenges, but I don't know if those are still going? Should be, I would think? But you actually get a wrist blade in Origins, where Odyssey seems like your just get that spear head, and at that point it's not even an Assassin's Creed game anymore.

The spear head is the hidden blade if the hidden blade also granted you an ability to teleport assassinate. So honestly people can talk about what makes what Assassin's creed all day but I know a better murder tool when I spot one.

Both games are very similar mechanically but would be a terrible thing to play in close succession so in that case I almost always just recommend playing the new one.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked Bayek so Origins if you can get it for cheap.

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
    WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@junkerman: I played some 75 odd hours in Origins and did more or less everything in the base game and DLC's. I am almost ten hours into Odyssey and while it is enjoyable, Origins is by far and away the superlative game in my opinion. The guest on the Bombcast said it best in my opinion - Odyssey feels like a superhero game. This compared to Origins where I legitimately felt a part of the world and connected to everything that was going on. Still, Odyssey is a dumb fun game; I just can't see it having the same impact as Origins. On the other hand there is a lot to be said for getting caught up in the zeitgeist of a new game.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By mikemcn

I loved origins and egypt. Highly Recommended. DLC's are also great.

If you have things you'd really want to explore in ancient greece, maybe pick up odyssey. For me seeing the pyramids and the old temples was amazing. But if you have a big interest in the Parthenon or the Statue of Apollo, maybe explore that world instead. At the end of the day you're going to be spending 40+ hours at least in a world, it should be one that intrigues you!

nasher27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a bit of Origins, but fell off after 20 or so hours. Really enjoying Odyssey after 10 hours. I think I just like the setting more, which is what it comes down to for me in AC games.

They're basically the same game mechanically, go with the period you find more interesting.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Odyssey seems like it is leaning even heavier into the RPG elements with dialog trees and romance options. That being said Origins is a great game, Bayek is a great character and the setting features Greeks and Romans prominently.

Bottom line is that Odyssey is likely going to be very similar to Origins, so there is at least a baseline of quality to the mechanics. Since you didn't play Origins you likely won't feel as fatigued by another game in that style which means Odyssey will feel fresher (and possibly better) than it might for me. Of course Origins is cheaper and a known quantity.

I'd say Origins.

This except go with Odyssey.

I'm in this exact boat, didn't play Origins and debated between the two. I'm 10 hours in to Odyssey and loving it. It definitely feels like an "Action RPG" rather than a pure stealth game like AC games used to. (The last one I really played was Black Flag, and before that was all the Ezio games). I am really enjoying it, the story is good, the setting is awesome and the voice acting (i'm playing as Kassandra) is fantastic.

Bottom line, I think it Odyssey definitely benefits from me not having played Origins so the AC fatigue is not as high.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having played both, I think Origins is the superior game:

1. I think both games really suffer from a lack of codex and actual engagement their historical period as it relates to the main story. That said, Origins has a lot more identifiable landmarks like the Pyramids and Sphinx and generally does a better job of giving you a sense of place and culture of where you are. Odyssey feels way too much like every generic open world game with a light ancient Greece set-dressing on top of it.

2. Bayek is the superior main character. I'm playing Kassandra in Odyssey and while the character is really well voice-acted and likable in a generic sort of way, she doesn't really have a defined character in the way Bayek (or even Aya) does. That has partly to do with the dialogue choices and partly to do with the fact that the plot is just such a slow burn that the motivation and impetus driving the character forward gets lost.

3. The sailing in Odyssey is obnoxious. Really, really unbelievably obnoxious. It takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r to get anywhere, you are attacked constantly, and there is no meaningful way to run away from a battle until you upgrade your ship (which also takes f-o-r-e-v-e-r given the resource requirements). I've never been as big a fan of the sailing in these games as a lot of people, but it's more tiresome in Odyssey than it has been in the past. It falls in this awful middle ground where they didn't build a game around it like in Black Flag but its also too much a part of the game to be something you can just ignore.

4. Origins suffers from sprawl and open-world fatigue, but its even worse in Odyssey. Both games could have benefited from being much tighter, but the problem is less in Origins.

w00master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been enjoying Odyssey, but Origins 100%. It's the better game.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being nearly finished with Odyssey I completely set in stone that yeah just get the new one it's just a better version of Origins.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.