Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed: Revelations

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Nov 15, 2011

Assassin's Creed: Revelations is the fourth installment in the Assassin's Creed franchise and the final entry in Ezio Auditore's main storyline. A few levels also put players back in control of the original Assassin's Creed's Altair, and depict his rise to the Mentorship of the Crusades-era Brotherhood of Assassins.

Ranking of Assassin's Creed Part 4: Assassin's Creed Revelations

BlackRedGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 7

Edited By BlackRedGaming
    No Caption Provided

Welcome back to my never-ending ranking of all of the AC games. My ranking of the franchise can be found here, and any explanation of how this list works can be found on the first two games. Finally, I launched a website recently, so you can check this out and more over there. Now, onto the game.

In this final Ezio entry, you play as him in an older age going to Masyaf completing his father's legacy. It just so happens some Templars also want to join you, but for different reasons. Next thing you know, you end up in Constantinople (Istanbul) in search of keys that will unlock a large door where you and the Templars are trying to get into. Meanwhile, Desmond is in a coma and is trapped on a small island with Subject 16.

Of course you meet another Italian in a faraway land.
    Of course you meet another Italian in a faraway land.

So far, the Ezio games have really impressed me. Whether it be a solid storyline full of interesting characters and settings, or the myriad of improvements made to all aspects of the gameplay; I can already tell Ezio is a staple to the franchise. But even great things must come to an end. Fortunately, Revelations tries to solve this by making bigger gameplay changes while trying to stick with what is great about the previous games. But the keyword is'try,' and unfortunately they failed.

When I said they try to stick with what's great, the thing I was talking about was Ezio. Ezio is back; and while normally this would be a cause for celebration, it ultimately hinders the story as a whole. I love Ezio, but I also know when to let someone go. That time was at the end of Brotherhood, but here he is in Revelations. Fortunately, a new setting brings in a fresh new set of characters. We are finally properly introduced to Subject 16, and the various characters you meet as well as the new city of Constantinople is a nice break from the Italian setting and characters. But while I am grateful for the fresh new setting and characters, I soon found that they are no match for the Italian setting, and I ultimately wish I was back there. As for Ezio, it seemed like the developers knew they exhausted him and tried to put more focus into other story bits like the life of Altair. And while I did enjoy learning more about Altair and not putting so much focus into Ezio, I think the story lost focus because of it. Plus, other issues came up in the story like their is no beginning-to-end antagonist like in the previous games, and having Subject 16 as a character means the loss of his puzzles which I enjoyed a lot. Overall, I think the changes made were not great and keeping Ezio made the story lose focus.

When I was playing through the prologue, I was really hoping the rest of the game took place in a snowy setting.
    When I was playing through the prologue, I was really hoping the rest of the game took place in a snowy setting.

Fortunately, gameplay has more positives than the story. The contract system has been expanded on even more, assassin dens offer some new missions as well as a fun tower defense mode, new items like the hookblade and the parachute are great additions to movement, bombs make a big debut and I enjoyed using them, the graphics were given a noticeable improvement, and online investments are gone. But the more I played the game, the more the negative aspects started to seep in and they even affected the positive aspects. The notoriety system fills way too fast as for even mundane things like opening a shop increased notoriety, posters to remove notoriety are gone, while the tower defense tutorial mission was fun I never played the minigame past that, I never really used parachutes either because they would randomly disappear from my inventory, this game has so far been the glitchiest experience with game crashes and texture flickering, there were way too many missions that involved tailing someone, I am confused as to why the developers made Desmond's journey and the lost archive, and some misison types like assassin's tombs are gone. Plus, other issues like the stupid easy combo kill system and beggars plague the game as well. I will say that I can now understand the appeal of the combo system, but I also see even more ways this negatively affects the game. Now I don't buy or use any gear other than a hookblade and sword, and I end up spending my money on are buildings and contracts (which for some reason raises my awareness). Overall, I feel that the gameplay tries to do one thing right by making two wrongs, and game suffers because of that.

Imagine waiting for some fun DLC only to find out it's some weird first-person narrative content with super easy puzzles.
    Imagine waiting for some fun DLC only to find out it's some weird first-person narrative content with super easy puzzles.

One last thing I will talk about quick is multiplayer. This game also has multiplayer, and this time I actually got into a match. I think the multiplayer is a lot of fun and it seems like their is a lot of expansion to it, but I don't want to have a big focus be on multiplayer for this ranking. I'm glad people still find it fun and are still playing it though.

I talked a lot of crap about AC: Revelations, but I wouldn't say I had a bad time with the game. I think the game is good, but I also think it is weak compared to the others. This game feels like a swing-and-a-miss. As for the ranking, right now it will actually be below the first AC game and my guess is that it will stay low by the end. The first game at least impressed me then became repetitive while this game started out fine and ended up frustrating me.

That's a wrap. If you want to read the previous blogs on this as well as see the ranking, you can find the link at the top of the page. Also, I'm going to be shamelessly plugging the hell out of my new website on all future blogs, so you can find the site here. Finally, I am going to take a short break on playing the AC games because I don't want to wear myself out on the franchise and I want to focus on writing about other things. Thank you all for reading and tune in for the next part in the near future.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.