Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed

Franchise »

The Assassin's Creed franchise follows the never-ending, secret war between the Assassin Brotherhood and the Templar Order, in various historical settings, told from the perspective of the modern day.

Assassin’s Creed Loses Yet Another Creative Director

• 66 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

Assassin’s Creed lost the series' original creative director, Patrice Désilets, in June 2010, and it’s now lost his replacement, Alexandre Amancio, who took over after Assassins Creed: Brotherhood was complete.

Amancio has now signed up with the advertising agency Cossette, the marketing firm announced.

When contacted, Ubisoft declined to comment to me on Amancio’s departure.

For now, it’s unclear why Amancio left Ubisoft, but it’s not to join Désilets at THQ Montreal.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations was released just a few months ago, and like clockwork, another will arrive this year.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek
    No Caption Provided

Assassin’s Creed lost the series' original creative director, Patrice Désilets, in June 2010, and it’s now lost his replacement, Alexandre Amancio, who took over after Assassins Creed: Brotherhood was complete.

Amancio has now signed up with the advertising agency Cossette, the marketing firm announced.

When contacted, Ubisoft declined to comment to me on Amancio’s departure.

For now, it’s unclear why Amancio left Ubisoft, but it’s not to join Désilets at THQ Montreal.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations was released just a few months ago, and like clockwork, another will arrive this year.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By JoeyRavn

I just want AC3 to be good, no matter who writes it or directs it.

Slab64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Slab64

Well, shit.

DanTheGamer32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By DanTheGamer32

@JoeyRavn said:

I second this notion

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By Humanity

@JoeyRavn said:

I don't want to pass judgement yet but after Revelations I am not as optimistic as I once was.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @JoeyRavn

Same here… unfortunately it will never have the true impact I was hoping for since these games have been coming out on a yearly basis. Here's to hoping they have crazy magic under their sleeves
    OneAndOnlyBigE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By OneAndOnlyBigE
    @JoeyRavn We can only hope that it is largely written and designed already given that it is coming out next winter.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5eecdd1d4617f
    deactivated-5eecdd1d4617f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as AC3 has a new game engine it will be better to play and look at.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

#9  Edited By wumbo3000

I seriously love the AC franchise but still have not played Revelations. Hearing everyone saying it's not as good as the previous ones make me sad but I will still eventually play it. Not sure if the departure of these dudes is the reason why Revelations wasn't as amazing, but I still have high hopes for the future.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By gosukiller

@wumbo3000 said:

I seriously love the AC franchise but still have not played Revelations. Hearing everyone saying it's not as good as the previous ones make me sad but I will still eventually play it. Not sure if the departure of these dudes is the reason why Revelations wasn't as amazing, but I still have high hopes for the future.

I'm only about 15% through it, but AC:Rev is not nearly as bad as some make it out to be. It's just the aditions that it has, such as a tower defense mini-game, that are the disappointment. So far I'm enjoying it just like Brohood.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kevin_Cogneto

Clearly this is all a conspiracy perpetrated by a secret underground cabal of ancient masonic popes to orchestrate a brain-drain at Ubisoft so they can secretly steal an ancient alien artifact passed down to the Mayans that will unlock the secret of the twelve magic glyphs that can grant the ultimate power of the universe infused in each of the twenty-four pieces of Eden before the cataclysm of 12/21/2012 can render all of the genetic memories of our ancestors passed down through our DNA inaccessible and mankind can no longer unlock the mysteries of the universe by jumping from a high place into a pile of hay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Well that's weird.

It's really tough to judge the 'origin' of game quality in those larger studios. The terminology for who does what changes between every studio, the responsibilities and input of each person is different between every studio. It would be nice if it was both a little more transparent and a little more stabilized across the industry.

As Jeff has said, from everything that goes in to games, it's amazing they come out at all. From the outside, understanding who is actually the driving forces behind those games is as difficult as making them.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

@JoeyRavn said:

Yes but shedding creative directors particularly in the way they have been is never a good sign, and I've heard the most recent addition is a bit shaky.

rabidwombat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By rabidwombat

@Humanity said:

@JoeyRavn said:

I don't want to pass judgement yet but after Revelations I am not as optimistic as I once was.

I'm actually MORE optimistic than I was after playing Revelations - Ryan's coverage led me to believe it might pretty much suck, and instead it was still a good AC game. The movement is even more streamlined than it ever has been before, and even though the tower defense stuff was dumb and weird, I only had to do it twice. The story was fine, better than I expected, and it did a good job making me interested in playing AC3. Much more of an iterative thing, but I'm still okay with that.

admanb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By admanb

I don't have any opinion on how this will affect/has affected the AC series, but I feel it doesn't reflect while on conditions in that studio and it's relationship with the game that creative directors don't want to keep being creative directors. 

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By saddlebrown

@Humanitysaid:

@JoeyRavn said:

I really didn't like Revelations, but I'm not worried because of it. It's clearly just a filler game so they could a) make more money, and b) release AC3 in 2012 to line up with the story. I'm assuming they've been working on AC3 longer than a year.

@wumbo3000 said:

You can skip it. Nothing happens in the story that you need to know about, and it's not just "more of the same," it's the same. It's just Brotherhood with a Constantinople skin layered on top and a much less interesting story. Nothing about it has any kind of punch.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By OllyOxenFree

@whatisdelicious said:

You can skip it. Nothing happens in the story that you need to know about, and it's not just "more of the same," it's the same. It's just Brotherhood with a Constantinople skin layered on top and a much less interesting story. Nothing about it has any kind of punch.

Ouch. Yeah, looks like I'll skip Revelations and wait for the next AC.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jimbo

@whatisdelicious said:

This is completely correct. Revelations is unnecessary. It doesn't tell you anything important you didn't know from Brotherhood, it just beats you over the head with it this time to make sure you got everything.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kingzetta
    @OllyOxenFree said:

@whatisdelicious said:

if you like AC you should play ACR 
    I thought it was the best one yet
    OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By OllyOxenFree

@kingzetta said:

@OllyOxenFree said:

@whatisdelicious said:

if you like AC you should play ACR I thought it was the best one yet

I am so confused!

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By saddlebrown

@OllyOxenFree: I didn't like it because it is like, literally the same game as Brotherhood. I loved Brotherhood, and Revelations is the exact same game (plus stuff that is bad) so it's sometimes fun in some of the ways Brotherhood was fun, but overall, was just a big bummer. Depends on your tastes. I think you could totally skip it and be fine for AC3. In fact, I think the extra year break will make AC3 feel even fresher. That's why I'd recommend skipping it. But if you're really jonesing for some stabbin' dudes action and can't wait another year, Revelations is still competent. You'd probably have a better experience just playing AC2 or Brotherhood again though.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kingzetta
    @OllyOxenFree said:

@kingzetta said:

@OllyOxenFree said:

@whatisdelicious said:

I am so confused!

Do you want to know about Desmond's past, altair's later years and the end of ezio's story?
    zagzagovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By zagzagovich

@OllyOxenFree:

I'm going through the second one right now so I don't know much about the game but I never trusted people that say "best one yet". Get it for cheap though, like 15$ and you are set no matter better or worse this one is. Espessially since we don't have a clear idea of when the next one is coming.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By Humanity

@OllyOxenFree said:

@kingzetta said:

@OllyOxenFree said:

@whatisdelicious said:

I am so confused!

It's not the worst and it's not the best. As far as story goes, almost nothing happens throughout the whole game. Theres some backstory on Altair but it's not very interesting until the very end. Ezios plot is literally a rehash of any given AC game up to date "hey theres these guys, and they're bad - I wish someone would do something about it" On the real world end of the storyline literally nothing happens. You don't get anything the entire game. Even the quirky Desmonds journey segments just tell you what you already know through Desmonds narration.

Bottomline is: if you LOVE AC and can't wait to play more, then you'll enjoy another decent 10 hours of what you know and enjoy. There won't be anything new really - the hookblade could honestly not even be there. If you LIKE the series but can't see yourself playing the same game again without any major changes then skip it. Watch the ending on YouTube to get caught up to speed. If you watch the ending online you're not missing anything leading up to it.

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By saddlebrown

@kingzetta said:

Do you want to know about Desmond's past, altair's later years and the end of ezio's story?

You found out about Desmond's past in AC1 (nothing new is revealed in Revelations, just expanded upon). Altair's "later years" don't make any sense when compared with what was supposed to happen to him and the Assassin's Order after AC1 (outlined in Altair's notes in AC2), not to mention that his character (and voice) are completely different here. And you still don't get the end of Ezio's story in Revelations. That comes in Embers, the 20-minute movie they released that you can find on YouTube.

Ezio has a cool speech near the end of Revelations. That's the only interesting part of the game story-wise. Also, he writes an awesome letter in Embers. Skip Revelations. Watch Embers.

Also, I bet the girl in Embers is the next playable character. Ezio gives her a box and they don't open it in the movie. Why else would they do that? (Not sure if that's really a spoiler, but I figured I'd just play it safe there.)

saddlebrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By saddlebrown

@Humanity said:

"hey theres these guys, and they're bad - I wish someone would do something about it"

Laughed pretty hard at this. Love that summary. I feel like you could write that on the back of almost every video game box.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kingzetta
    @whatisdelicious said:

@kingzetta said:

You found out about Desmond's past in AC1 (nothing new is revealed in Revelations, just expanded upon). Altair's "later years" don't make any sense when compared with what was supposed to happen to him and the Assassin's Order after AC1 (outlined in Altair's notes in AC2), not to mention that his character (and voice) are completely different here. And you still don't get the end of Ezio's story in Revelations. That comes in Embers, the 20-minute movie they released that you can find on YouTube.

Ezio has a cool speech near the end of Revelations. That's the only interesting part of the game story-wise. Also, he writes an awesome letter in Embers. Skip Revelations. Watch Embers.

I found everything incredibly interesting; from desmond's past, to Altair's later years, Ezio's story. The most interesting part of all is learning tons of stuff about the Templars from the mulitplayer. For example Subject #4 was an assassin that was brain washed by the Templars, killed an assassin mentor and leaked the location of all the assassins in the world to Abstergo. He is regarded as one of the greatest Templar Heroes ever.  I've said it a million times that AC has the best muliplayer of any game ever, and I 100% stick by that. I think Assassin's Creed Revelations is the best AC game yet, and I can't wait for next year.
    MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#28  Edited By MeatSim

There is not much room for creativity when your doing yearly sequels anyway.

wsowen02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By wsowen02

Got tired of being forced to make the same game over and over again huh?

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kingzetta
    @ZagZagovich said:

@OllyOxenFree:

I'm going through the second one right now so I don't know much about the game but I never trusted people that say "best one yet". Get it for cheap though, like 15$ and you are set no matter better or worse this one is. Espessially since we don't have a clear idea of when the next one is coming.

I'll give you a hint....November
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By nintendoeats

I think that anybody who wants to go into marketing should be allowed to do so. That way I never have to work with them.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By Brendan

@nintendoeats said:

I think that anybody who wants to go into marketing should be allowed to do so. That way I never have to work with them.

You do know that marketing is more than just advertising and coming up with bullshit, right? A lot of actual marketing work is helping companies solve problems, find out what their strengths and weaknesses are, and helping them build internal and external strategies to make successful products.

It's not as cut and dry as "Marketing is for idiots and liars!"

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By nintendoeats

@Brendan: I think it's the difference between the words "successful" and "better" that is key in my distaste for marketing people. I certainly don't consider such people to be idiots (though I'm sure that many are), merely loathsome as a general rule.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GaspoweR

@OllyOxenFree said:

@kingzetta said:

@OllyOxenFree said:

@whatisdelicious said:

I am so confused!

It is really subjective. If you really like more AC then ACR is still worth playing, even if maybe you'll get it once there will be a price drop or maybe borrow it or rent it if you just care more for the story and not for the multiplayer. I got it during the one day Amazon sale for 35 dollars so I just jumped on the opportunity.

ACR though probably only has one significant climax during the entire game but its not as big as compared to ACB or even AC 2 (which I consider to have the BIGGEST climax at the end or two of them if you count the one during the credits as well). I also consider it to be the thinnest of the three that I mentioned in terms of the single player content. On a personal note, I consider AC 2 to be the best in the series with ACB coming at a close second. I felt that I was really psyched to play more AC at the end of those games. ACR didn't really give me that feeling after finishing the game but I was still happy nonetheless.

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#35  Edited By damswedon

@Humanity said:

@JoeyRavn said:

But also after Revelations 3 has to change significantly, right?

Unless they pull some supreme bullshit it has to be set in modern day, so it must change.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dixavd

This shouldn't create too many problems even if this truly goes horribly wrong since the story has been written since 1999 so it is more about the expression of that story - but seeing how the previous games have been it shouldn't be hard for a comletely new person to emulate it with the story. I just think this might stop AC having the best climax in the series as it might not build up perfectly for it. Personally the ending to AC1 is still my favourite moment of the entire franchise - everything through that warped around my mind for weeks - truly spectacular reveal.

AC3 will have the problem of starting with a lot of highs as well as disjointed visions being put into play through the creation of the previous games. I still love this series so there is no way I won't be getting AC3, but I fear if they screw up the implimentation of the ending to the Desmond Story then it could lead to lots of people hating the entire series (sort of like what was blown way out of proportion when LOST ended).

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Cloudenvy

@kingzetta said:

@ZagZagovich said:

@OllyOxenFree:

I'll give you a hint....November

Ding ding ding!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#38  Edited By Yummylee

I seem to recall reading somewhere that AC3 is speculated to have you playing as Altair's son in Egypt or something, which, while would make for some very different scenery, only takes the series backwards and wouldn't fit being apart of the next numbered big step for the series.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Draxyle

I really do worry about the future of this franchise. Revelations was a great entry but it still felt fatigued and hampered by their excessively quick dev schedules. Still though, a weak AC game is still better than a lot of stuff out there. You can't deny the sheer amount of work and content that go in to each entry.

It just weirds me out that the creator and the replacement can both leave a franchise and it can keep going on. I've been at work on a fantasy based, story webcomic thing, and if someone else just took it over I don't see how it could possibly go over well without them understanding my base intentions and underlining messages.

It hasn't killed the franchise yet, but I do wonder how long they intend to drag this out and at what cost.

Avatar image for deactivated-64b8656eaf424
    deactivated-64b8656eaf424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe the next guy will put some new life into it considering that Revelations was kind of half-assed entry.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41  Edited By xxizzypop

@Draxyle: I would argue that the franchise has already lost the plot. I have no idea where the story is going, and not in a good way. I think that AC1 is still an incredibly great game that was a strong start to the franchise, story wise, while ACII went above and beyond of expanding the universe and the mechanics.

Brotherhood and Revelations were just so... iterative. They didn't really do anything that I wanted them to do -- sure, mechanically, they've been tweaking with the formula, and Brotherhood had some pretty important thing happen in it plotwise, but I feel like the current creative team just has no idea of where to go from here. I'd like to think I'm wrong. I want ACIII to prove me wrong, but Revelations did nothing but leave a sour taste in my mouth and make me question if anyone was actually working towards Patrice's original vision anymore, because that seemed fucking grand in scale and ambition.

Zace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Zace

@JoeyRavn said:

SPOILERS!!

It wont be.

kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kingzetta
    @Zace said:

@JoeyRavn said:

SPOILERS!!

It wont be.

Your going to play as a brand new character.
    done I just made it worth playing
    TentPole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TentPole

ABANDON SHIP!

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mordukai

I gave up after AC2.5 when I realized AC is going to be Ubisoft's whore. At this point I really couldn't care less about the story.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By kalmis

Doesn't sound promising at all for the next game. Haven't played Revelations yet, but intent to do so one day.

Zace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Zace

@kingzetta:

SPOILERS Its still Assassin's Creed. Now not worth playing.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By probablytuna

This looks bad for the series, but we won't know if it will hurt the quality of the next AC title until it actually comes out.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By DystopiaX

I don't really think it matters, team is so large I doubt 1 man had that much of an impact.

@wsowen02 said:

Got tired of being forced to make the same game over and over again huh?

I'm not the biggest AC fan but that's not really fair. I know the community has gotten to the point where yearly installments=ZOMG FRANCHISE MUST SUCK, but really the games have all improved over the last installment, with the exception of the last one. 1 bad/mediocre game does not mean repetitive, and also does not mean shit. When it has gotten to the CoD levels of sameness then that statement is relevant.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#50  Edited By JoeyRavn

@GaspoweR said:

It is really subjective. If you really like more AC then ACR is still worth playing, even if maybe you'll get it once there will be a price drop or maybe borrow it or rent it if you just care more for the story and not for the multiplayer. I got it during the one day Amazon sale for 35 dollars so I just jumped on the opportunity.

ACR though probably only has one significant climax during the entire game but its not as big as compared to ACB or even AC 2 (which I consider to have the BIGGEST climax at the end or two of them if you count the one during the credits as well). I also consider it to be the thinnest of the three that I mentioned in terms of the single player content. On a personal note, I consider AC 2 to be the best in the series with ACB coming at a close second. I felt that I was really psyched to play more AC at the end of those games. ACR didn't really give me that feeling after finishing the game but I was still happy nonetheless.

I really liked Revelations, though I can see why it's so divisive. Sure, it's just an incremental update over Brotherhood in terms of gameplay mechanics, but the story was good. It gave a sense of closure for Ezio and Altaïr that neither AC1 nor AC2/B had. Sure, Desmond's part is... more open, let's say. And that big thing at the end of AC:B? You know what I'm talking about. That thing Desmond does? Yeah, that happened. Let's briefly mention it and be done with it. Nothing screams "contractual disagreements" more than dispatching this issue like they did.

But, hey, the Altaïr/Ezio/Desmond interface? Pretty awesome. That final mission was a tearjerker, if you ask me. "Sit down and rest for a while..."

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.