Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed

Franchise »

The Assassin's Creed franchise follows the never-ending, secret war between the Assassin Brotherhood and the Templar Order, in various historical settings, told from the perspective of the modern day.

I'm scared for the future of Assassin's Creed...

Avatar image for stefanthelegend
    StefanTheLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By StefanTheLegend

Let me get one thing out of the way, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood was fantastic but it sure as hell towed the line. I love this franchise, and I don't want it to see the same fate as other franchises that towed the same line (Guitar Hero, Call of Duty). Assassin's Creed is special in that it is one of those rarities in which it's equal both in it's blockbuster status as it is with it's artistry. Ubisoft have just announced that there will be an Assassins Creed next year, now whether that is the 3rd installment or another semi-sequel is left to be known, but my bets are that it is not AC3. I'm guessing that since AC3 will probably be the conclusion of the series, they want to build up to that conclusion by having some 'spin-offs' so that they can cash-in as much as they can from the franchise before its finale. And this worries the HELL out of me. Add in the fact that  Patrice Desilets  left Ubisoft mysteriously  abruptly  just before brotherhood was done. I mean this was the man behind the whole damn  franchise , this is his baby...and he left with no word  except  for Ubi speaking for him. For God's sake Ubi, I sure as hell hope you know what the hell you are doing...    

StefanTheLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By StefanTheLegend

As a company they also have a responsibly to their franchises. We have seen what happens when you milk a franchise...it is not healthy for neither the company, franchise or the industry. It's incredibly short sighted. It is not good business. A good quote from Adam Sessler (G4 correspondent), "I can't miss you if you don't leave", and that pretty much sums it up. The more you make your audience wait the hungrier they will be for more, hence resulting in greater hype and commercial success.            

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I agree with you there, as much as I loved brotherhood, I don't want one every year.
    iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By iam3green

stop milking my games!!!

i agree man. developers need to stop making sequels every year. yes, it's a quick game but it gets tiring to playing the same game over and over. in the end keep on making games of sequels make games become boring and sometimes horrible. for one, the story ends up being different to what the original was. it just ruins the game totally.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By crusader8463

I enjoyed AC 2 for the story, but I'm not a fan of Brotherhood. I found pretty much ever single main story mission tedious and not fun to play because it seemed to be all about trial and error. Every other mission seemed to be just another tail this guy without being seen quest, or just didn't have any kind of plot momentum like in AC 2.

While some may of liked it, I hated those full sync side missions they added to everything. There was many a time when they just flat out failed for no good reason even when I did what they told me to do, or they failed near the end of a long ass mission and I had to do the entire thing all over again if I wanted full sync. If I won a mission but didn't get the full sync I always felt like I was being told I sucked and I never got that high from seeing the mission complete flash across my screen because it was ether so tedious playing the mission to make sure I get full sync that it was no fun to play, or else get that back handed "Hey looks like you didn't do this arbitrary thing so I guess you technically passed the mission, but not really."

I'm also not a fan of how the story is progressing. It was kind of obvious that it was going to be one of two things all along, but ya. I'm invested to this point so I will give them a chance with the next game to hook me in again, but I too was put off a bit with this game.

Also, I was hoping the build a brotherhood, or sisterhood as I did, would have been more then just a time sync to open a menu and scroll through some lists every 10-15 minutes. I wasn't expecting anything as complex as Dragons Age's interaction with your party or anything like that, but it all fell rather flat to me as I never once cared about them beyond never sending them on a mission below 80% because I didn't want to waste the time leveling up another girl. I hope they keep the concept for the next game, but that it gets a lot more depth and customization. I would have much rather had 3-4 characters with a personality then a dozen faceless people.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By LiquidPrince

I don't agree. This game was great and I trust Ubisoft. I'm also fairly sure that the next game isn't going to be Assassin's Creed 3, because having that release in 2012 makes too much sense to ignore.

StefanTheLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By StefanTheLegend
    @crusader8463: As much as I loved the game, I do agree with you man, in that it felt like they didn't have enough time to iron some of their systems out. I mean a year is not enough time to build an AC game. The graphics engine is starting to age, and they seriously need a huge overall revamp, for the finale.  As I'm am too invested in the story for them to screw it up. 
    joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By joeybagad0nutz

I think they said part of the reason why they are making another game for next year when AC3 is coming out 2012 is strictly for the fans. To give them more of what they want while they want for the main game. I trust Ubisoft. Hopefully my trust won't be in vain.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @StefanTheLegend: 

... Assassin's Creed, the original still looks like one of the better games released this generation... Assassin's Creed 2 looks hugely better, and Brotherhood builds a bit on 2, so I don't know what you're talking about. Assassin's Creed kills any other open world game in terms of graphics, and some of the interiors looks just as detailed as linear games.
    StefanTheLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By StefanTheLegend
    @JoeRiccadonna: I hope your right man. But I also want to miss the game, I want to want more...I want too be hyped.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@LiquidPrince said:
    " I don't agree. This game was great and I trust Ubisoft. I'm also fairly sure that the next game isn't going to be Assassin's Creed 3, because having that release in 2012 makes too much sense to ignore. "
    Yep, this.  I don't give a damn if they make one every year as long as they're great games.  I'm all for spin-offs at this point, I would love to see a fuedal-era Japan AC game.  I personally think a year is plenty of time between games as long as the quality and innovation is there.
    StefanTheLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By StefanTheLegend
    @LiquidPrince: The artistic vision is great, but the engine needs an upgrade, too many frame-rate/screen tearing issues...and certain places consist of bland textures while others look really sharp. Mate, they need to revamp the engine...not saying it isn't great, but they need to iron out the inconsistencies. Also releasing the game in 2012 makes sense but  it would destroy the illusion due to the fact that when the game releases at the end of 2012...we would still be alive hence contradicting the fact that in the game it is supposed to be the end. Releasing it in at the start of first half of 2012 would be cool because then the illusion stays intact. But I doubt that will happen...
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @StefanTheLegend said:
    " @LiquidPrince: The artistic vision is great, but the engine needs an upgrade, too many frame-rate/screen tearing issues...and certain places consist of bland textures while others look really sharp. Mate, they need to revamp the engine...not saying it isn't great, but they need to iron out the inconsistencies. Also releasing the game in 2012 makes sense but  it would destroy the illusion due to the fact that when the game releases at the end of 2012...we would still be alive hence contradicting the fact that in the game it is supposed to be the end. Releasing in at the start of first half of 2012 would be cool because then the illusion stays intact.  "
    I can see them releasing the game two weeks before the day the calamity is to occur so everyone will be hyped for it. Also, sure iron out some the bugs, but it doesn't need a revamp, but mostly smoothing.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By crusader8463

One other thing I do want out of them is to fix the PS3 version or release the PC version on time for once. God dam it did that game lag like hell on the PS3.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @crusader8463 said:
    " One other thing I do want out of them is to fix the PS3 version or release the PC version on time for once. God dam it did that game lag like hell on the PS3. "
    I'm pretty sure the PS3 version has always been the superior version for all three games released so far in terms of performance.
    StefanTheLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By StefanTheLegend
    @LiquidPrince: Does anyone know if both versions are basically the same, because I played it on PS3 and the frame-rate wasn't very good.  
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By crusader8463
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @crusader8463 said:
    " One other thing I do want out of them is to fix the PS3 version or release the PC version on time for once. God dam it did that game lag like hell on the PS3. "
    I'm pretty sure the PS3 version has always been the superior version for all three games released so far in terms of performance. "
    Then I sure as hell would not want to see it on a 360 because my game was constantly below 20-30 FPS, and it had constant tearing and loading the environment issues. I played the first half on 2 on my PC a while ago and I couldn't believe how well it was optimized. It ran as smooth as silk on high settings and I don't have the best of computers.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @StefanTheLegend said:
    " @LiquidPrince: Does anyone know if both versions are basically the same, because I played it on PS3 and the frame-rate wasn't very good.  "
    I'm under the impression that the 360 tears a bit more, but they are almost the same otherwise.
    StefanTheLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By StefanTheLegend

Also, who's with me when I say that the track from the orchestral/choir score, "Echos of the Roman Ruins" was incredibly moving and fantastic!     

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By crusader8463

Also also! That god dam contrast bug was there the entire f-ing game and it drove me nuts! The top half of my screen was always bright and faded while the bottom half was fine.

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By HubrisRanger

Couldn't disagree more.  

A quick refresher course: 

• Assassin's Creed was a promising, but ultimately repetitive open-world adventure that had a fascinating meta-narrative structure and compelling, historical backdrop. Fairly uninspiring, but showed great potential
    • Assassin's Creed II finely tuned that experience by offering a broader range of things to do, crafting a better storyline both within and outside the Animus, and generally created a sense of forward momentum that the series needed
    • Assassin's Creed Brotherhood refines even further, by adding a better financial system, adding the Assassin's Guild management aspect, making their dual storylines even MORE connected, fleshing out the modern day characters to be as interesting as their Renaissance counterparts, and adding a rather satisfying chain system to their combat. And oh yeah, they added one of the most original mainstream multiplayer experience of 2010

Seeing how each Assassin's Creed game has been a broad refinement over the last installment, I don't really see any need for concern quite yet. The only concerning news is the game coming out next year, but I also will wait to hear more about what it is before passing judgment; I was very skeptical about Brotherhood coming out so quickly after ACII, but I feel it easily surpasses its predecessor.  

My only other concern now would be when AC3 does come out in 2012, where does the story go from there? While I would like to think they'd have the decency to have an end, draw a line and say "We're done with this series until we come up with some reason to return to it," but Ubisoft is in the market of making money. My concern is that if AC3 ends with yet another cliffhanger or tease ending, it will become a Lost-effect of "Will this ever truly be resolved?"
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @crusader8463 said:
    " Also also! That god dam contrast bug was there the entire f-ing game and it drove me nuts! The top half of my screen was always bright and faded while the bottom half was fine. "
    I'm so happy I never had this issue. It looked like such an ass issue.
    StefanTheLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By StefanTheLegend
    @crusader8463: Wow, that's totally weird, what version were you playing on? PS3?
    StefanTheLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By StefanTheLegend

Assassin's Creed is such a great franchise, with such an awesome fan base...geez, i just hope they do it justice and AC3 better be the second coming!

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By crusader8463
    @StefanTheLegend:  Ya PS3. It drove me nuts. I found this clip, and my game did not run nearly as smooth as it does in that video. The performance hit must have been linked to that gradient bug, because in that video it was not there.  AC 2 had a touch of lag, but nothing too noticeable to complain about, while brotherhood ran like complete ass for me. In some parts it even stopped for 2-3 seconds to load. 

I literally went from finishing AC2, popping out the disk and then playing brotherhood. So it's not just in my head.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.