Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed

Franchise »

The Assassin's Creed franchise follows the never-ending, secret war between the Assassin Brotherhood and the Templar Order, in various historical settings, told from the perspective of the modern day.

Rumour: 2014 to have 2 "new" AC games; i.e. 1 on ng, 1 on cg

• 70 results
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Okay at this point, especially leading into 2014, calling PS4 and Xbone still next gen just sounds really unnecessary, and rather downright dumb. Regardless the question, I really hope they actually look at what people were enjoying in AC4 as a thing to go by. Making just more core AC with nothing else to it still on their same animations and systems that the game has had forever now, just isn't gonna do it for a lot of people. Stuff needs to change.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 ll_Exile_ll  Online
    ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 ll_Exile_ll  Online

@pause422 said:

Okay at this point, especially leading into 2014, calling PS4 and Xbone still next gen just sounds really unnecessary, and rather downright dumb.

Get used to it. People were called Xbox 360 and PS3 "next gen" into like 2010.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By pyrodactyl

@kiddynamo04 said:

@themasterds said:

I don't know if Assassin's Creed is currently up for PLEASE STOP since AC4 was actually solid by all accounts but by the sounds of it it'll have the category locked down next year. If this is true which I kind of doubt. Doesn't sound plausible. Are split gen games so shit on both ends that you do two seperate games? Are you doing twice the work while most people will buy only one of them? I don't know. Maybe.

I don't think one solid game is a plea for more the next year. No other entertainment property does stuff like that. I, personally, have no desire for serialized videogames. There used to be an assumption, back in the day, that a new game in a series meant the developers had an entirely new take on it. Castlevania 2, Zelda 2, and Super Mario 2 US were barely the same games as the previous versions.

Now there is an assumption that games are going to come out every year and developers have to try to come up with some gimmick to make them worth buying. It's just a horrible way to do business.

Well, AC is faring much better than, let's say, CoD in the annualized game space. AC-AC2 we got a huge jump in storytelling, mechanics and an entire new setting never really explored in any popular videogame ever. AC2-ACB we got what some consider the best AC in the series with the awesome assassin diciples mechanic. ACR-AC3 we got another entirely new setting never explored in any popular videogame ever, a new natural landscape and traversal and a bunch of new mechanics. AC3-AC4 we got the only game that I'm aware of where you actually feel like you're playing a pirate, great characters and totally new setting.

Iteration isn't bad and AC only stumbled in the innovations department with ACR. If they can pull off 2 great games in a year with enough new stuff in them, fuck it, I'll buy both!

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pause422 said:

Okay at this point, especially leading into 2014, calling PS4 and Xbone still next gen just sounds really unnecessary, and rather downright dumb.

For most people (including me), it only becomes current gen when most people own the damn things and they completly replaced the old stuff. So maybe we'll get there by the end of 2015?

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By joshwent

@pause422 said:

Yep. Until "last gen" consoles become obsolete (which won't happen until probably at least late 2015 depending on sales), the PS4 and XOne are still next gen consoles. It's just a descriptive term to distinguish what you're talking about. There's nothing dumb about using language to communicate effectively.

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I want is another game focusing on Altair. I've been waiting for years and Ubisoft still hasn't done it. Otherwise I'm not interested. I liked Altair as a character and I'm disappointed that there still hasn't been a sequel focusing on him. Also Ubisoft should not release another AC game on last gen. That's just silly to keep making games for the older consoles as well as the newer ones. And can we please stop saying Next Gen? Next gen doesn't exist yet and the PS3/360 is last gen not current gen. Current Gen is the PS4, Xbox One, and the Wii U.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Revamp the combat.

flippyandnod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given Watch_Dogs will inevitably be an AC-style game too, Ubi may be overdoing it.

KidDynamo04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiddynamo04 said:

@themasterds said:

I don't know if Assassin's Creed is currently up for PLEASE STOP since AC4 was actually solid by all accounts but by the sounds of it it'll have the category locked down next year. If this is true which I kind of doubt. Doesn't sound plausible. Are split gen games so shit on both ends that you do two seperate games? Are you doing twice the work while most people will buy only one of them? I don't know. Maybe.

I don't think one solid game is a plea for more the next year. No other entertainment property does stuff like that. I, personally, have no desire for serialized videogames. There used to be an assumption, back in the day, that a new game in a series meant the developers had an entirely new take on it. Castlevania 2, Zelda 2, and Super Mario 2 US were barely the same games as the previous versions.

Now there is an assumption that games are going to come out every year and developers have to try to come up with some gimmick to make them worth buying. It's just a horrible way to do business.

Well, AC is faring much better than, let's say, CoD in the annualized game space. AC-AC2 we got a huge jump in storytelling, mechanics and an entire new setting never really explored in any popular videogame ever. AC2-ACB we got what some consider the best AC in the series with the awesome assassin diciples mechanic. ACR-AC3 we got another entirely new setting never explored in any popular videogame ever, a new natural landscape and traversal and a bunch of new mechanics. AC3-AC4 we got the only game that I'm aware of where you actually feel like you're playing a pirate, great characters and totally new setting.

Iteration isn't bad and AC only stumbled in the innovations department with ACR. If they can pull off 2 great games in a year with enough new stuff in them, fuck it, I'll buy both!

I would argue, though that AC 1 just never should have come out. It's the accepted norm, now, for people to assume that a game can come out and be awful and be "a good start". Back in the day, that would have just been "a bad game". AC 2 coming out and being the game AC 1 should have been isn't a boon for "iteration", it's just a concession that people allow game developers to beta test their games on paying customers.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

At this point I would much rather they came up with a new framing device and narrative justification for these new potential environments and packaged them as new series instead of yet more Assassin's Creed games. They're all totally solid and all, but by now even the games aren't bothering with pretending there's a reason those games continue to exist anymore.

KidDynamo04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Flag was the first Assassin's Creed game I ever bought and I can't imagine wanting another one for at LEAST 2 years. Probably closer to 3 or 4.

What developers don't realize, is how much they are shooting themselves in the foot with these annual game franchises. Maybe I'm only speaking for the concept of excitement, and not from the perspective of sales numbers, but the reason gamers don't get as excited about games as they used to, in my opinion, is because they come out too frequently. Zelda 2/3/64/Windwaker were megaton games because technology had lept and bounded between games. You could do all sorts of theings you couldn't do before. When you make a new game every year, and the only difference is a few more polygons each time, it dulls the excitement because nobody really notices how far things have come.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl said:

@kiddynamo04 said:

@themasterds said:

I would argue, though that AC 1 just never should have come out. It's the accepted norm, now, for people to assume that a game can come out and be awful and be "a good start". Back in the day, that would have just been "a bad game". AC 2 coming out and being the game AC 1 should have been isn't a boon for "iteration", it's just a concession that people allow game developers to beta test their games on paying customers.

It's really easy to look at AC one now and say ''that game was shit MEH'' but it was amazing and mindblowing when it came out. They needed the first game to test out (as in see if people were into it enough to justify the high dev costs) an insane amount of never seen before game mechanics and they did just that. The sci fi twist was also great if you're not one of those people who needs to ruin the suprise for themselve by overanalysing everything.

Aside from that I'm not even sure what your point is. Ubisoft should stop making AC games? The game industry should never make sequels again? Maybe a more realistic solution for you would be to not play AC games or sequels and let people who enjoy them have their fun.

I had a great time with AC1, AC2, ACB, AC3 and AC4. Some were certainly better than others but I'm not sure what we would've got if Ubisoft stopped making those games after the second one.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By pyrodactyl

Black Flag was the first Assassin's Creed game I ever bought and I can't imagine wanting another one for at LEAST 2 years. Probably closer to 3 or 4.

What developers don't realize, is how much they are shooting themselves in the foot with these annual game franchises. Maybe I'm only speaking for the concept of excitement, and not from the perspective of sales numbers, but the reason gamers don't get as excited about games as they used to, in my opinion, is because they come out too frequently. Zelda 2/3/64/Windwaker were megaton games because technology had lept and bounded between games. You could do all sorts of theings you couldn't do before. When you make a new game every year, and the only difference is a few more polygons each time, it dulls the excitement because nobody really notices how far things have come.

First, saying assassin's creed only adds polygons every year is just disigenuous.

Second, my theory about the people that don't get exited about video games anymore is much simpler: they're jadded as fuck. Maybe the yearly AC release isn't mindblowingly exiting but we've got a bunch of other games to fill your hype needs. If the witcher 3, persona 5, dying light, no man's sky, titanfall, destiny, watchdogs, etc. aren't enough for you to be exited about video games maybe you should find a new hobbie.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#66  Edited By Seppli

Good news in my book. Even if it results in a smaller scale experience at first, I think it's the right thing to do. To be honest, Assassin's Creed often feels like Ubisoft throws in the everything and kitchen sink, and much of it isn't worthwhile anyways - just collectibles for collectibles sake. Really figure out a new way of doing Assassin's Creed to better use the power of the new generation, and maybe a more meaningful direction overall, and less meaningless filler distractions and busywork. Sounds like the right thing to do. And this time, can we maybe get good combat that feels less like loosely strung together QTEs and more like me actually being in control?

KidDynamo04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiddynamo04 said:

@pyrodactyl said:

@kiddynamo04 said:

@themasterds said:

It's really easy to look at AC one now and say ''that game was shit MEH'' but it was amazing and mindblowing when it came out. They needed the first game to test out (as in see if people were into it enough to justify the high dev costs) an insane amount of never seen before game mechanics and they did just that. The sci fi twist was also great if you're not one of those people who needs to ruin the suprise for themselve by overanalysing everything.

Aside from that I'm not even sure what your point is. Ubisoft should stop making AC games? The game industry should never make sequels again? Maybe a more realistic solution for you would be to not play AC games or sequels and let people who enjoy them have their fun.

I had a great time with AC1, AC2, ACB, AC3 and AC4. Some were certainly better than others but I'm not sure what we would've got if Ubisoft stopped making those games after the second one.

I'm saying 15 years ago, something like "Final Fantasy 15" or "super Mario brothers 12" was a literal joke because the idea of anything having 14 sequels was insane. You would see it in the Simpsons and stuff. Who in the world would want that many sequels of Anything? And ask yourself now, do YOU, really?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By pyrodactyl

@kiddynamo04: Saying Final Fantasy is bad, as a series, because it now has a 15 on the end is a baseless argument. Seriously, who cares about what the title is? Aside from a few direct sequels, every numbered final fantasy game is a completly different game than the ones that came before. From that point of view it's kinda cool they did build a series relying only on general themes and minor shared elements between games. Go watch the FF15 trailer and tell me it doesn't look excting and novel. The brand recognition is THE ONLY REASON they can justify making such a crazy looking game.

Sequels are only a bad thing if they fail to innovate enough. Again, you might have been rightfuly concerned years ago when the rising dev costs blocked out the desire from big publishers to build new IPs. But now with a zillion indy devs actively discusted by the perspective of making a sequel I can't see why you're worried at all.

KidDynamo04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiddynamo04: Saying Final Fantasy is bad, as a series, because it now has a 15 on the end is a baseless argument. Seriously, who cares about what the title is? Aside from a few direct sequels, every numbered final fantasy game is a completly different game than the ones that came before. From that point of view it's kinda cool they did build a series relying only on general themes and minor shared elements between games. Go watch the FF15 trailer and tell me it doesn't look excting and novel. The brand recognition is THE ONLY REASON they can justify making such a crazy looking game.

Sequels are only a bad thing if they fail to innovate enough. Again, you might have been rightfuly concerned years ago when the rising dev costs blocked out the desire from big publishers to build new IPs. But now with a zillion indy devs actively discusted by the perspective of making a sequel I can't see why you're worried at all.

I ironically, my brothers and I were just watching the FFXV trailer two nights ago and the general consensus was that it was completely impossible to tell what was going on and what the players involvement in the action was supposed to be. Or even COULD be.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Last gen and current gen. That's the correct wording.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.