Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed

Franchise »

The Assassin's Creed franchise follows the never-ending, secret war between the Assassin Brotherhood and the Templar Order, in various historical settings, told from the perspective of the modern day.

Would you get a Desmond collection remaster?

• 50 results
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By NTM

Poll Would you get a Desmond collection remaster? (212 votes)

Yeah, sure! I liked those games. 14%
    Maybe. 15%
    No, I'm not averse to other specific games being remastered, but not a Desmond collection. 37%
    No, I don't want any more remasters to be honest. Just bring on the new games! 30%
    You forgot (fill in the blank). 4%

I was originally going to say just the Ezio trilogy remaster, because to me, those are the best ones, and I like Ezio's story, but a part of that is also Desmond's story, so I felt I would just encompass it into Desmond's collection. I thought the first AC was okay, but I didn't love it, and three was near poor to me; just super mediocre. I really liked all the Ezio games, though Revelations, as many also felt, was the weakest one, but I think I liked it more than others since it was only marginally worse than the previous two to me. The one reason I remember is that I didn't like the setting as much; it did have a few aspects I believe I liked more than the previous ones too. I don't remember in detail what the pros and cons were though compared to the previous two.

Edit - Shoot, I accidentally posted this before I was done adding choices... I was just going to add "I liked those games, but I have no desire to play a remaster". Eh, anyways. I think I would, mainly for the Ezio trilogy though, so A isn't entirely true for me. I would like to see if three improved though, and if I liked it more.

• 
    Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By Blackout62

I'd pay $60 bucks again for an ACII and Brotherhood remaster. The rest is just icing. Not particularly good icing but nothing to complain about.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

I'd play the first game again, sure.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

I'd pay $60 for a remaster of ACII, Brotherhood and ACIII. Those games are really good.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
    hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@blackout62: I'd scrape that icing off with my fork and fling it in the trash and just eat the good stuff.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

Hell yes.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since I've only played 7 hours of Assassin's Creed II, sure.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only if Fassbender showed up and murdered Nolan North.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would but only if they packaged it with all of the DLC, which to be fair tends to be the rule these days with remaster bundles. Otherwise nope.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like there's very little that could be done to Assassin's Creed 1 to make it playable. I got around to it a couple of years back and had a really hard time just not quitting. The mission design is terrible. Absolutely terrible. There's so little difference between one assassination mission and the next. It's literally do a bunch of stupid mini-missions until you unlock the assassination mission, then clumsily do it. Repeat x 9. Game over. The combat is so clunky, every assassination mission inevitably ends with you staggering up to the guy you need to kill, thrashing the attack button until he's dead, then frantically running away from all the guards.

Assassin's Creed 2 was great, amazing even, especially compared to 1. It's not something I ever feel the need to return to though.

That's where my experience with the franchise ends. From what I've heard, I'm not really missing out on much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

I'm not sure.

I mean I like 2 a whole bunch but the others which I've played are alright and pretty much just the same thing.

Maybe if they threw in a copy of the movie as well.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was about to say no, but...maybe?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@theht said:

First game was really great, showed a lot of promise before they introduced a terrible new lead and sort of gamified the entire thing. As a big Hitman fan I was excited for what Assassins Creed could have been, but it quickly became less about methodically stalking and killing your prey and more about brawling and gratuitous murder. I still enjoyed all the games that followed, apart from Ezio who I never liked, but I do wonder about what could have been if the series went more into stealth rather than action as it was originally portrayed.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AC1 was interesting but that's as far as it goes but AC2 and Botherhood actually delivered on that potential. That said, I played and enjoyed those games but they're not something I want to go back to after putting 40+ hours into each. If they were to remaster a game, it should be AC3 but make it good and not the terrible piece of garbage that it is.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give me a remaster of the first game that adds air assassinations, and I'll play it to bits.

To me, air assassinations and the double-hidden blades were the only gameplay/stylistic aspects the second one improved over the first one, which is still my favorite.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would buy AC2 if it were remastered. Bonus points if they throw in brotherhood I guess. Otherwise, no. Not interested in playing the others again.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have zero interest to ever play an Ubisoft game again, Division taught me that I am more then sick of that formula, and for as much as I enjoyed Far Cry 4, it was 100% due to the story and all the open world side mission stuff was the same boring onslaught of mini-map icons as the last 15 games they put out.

sku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the first one was remastered in such a way that it was almost a complete overhaul, I'd straight up buy it for that. I always wanted the first one to be good--the setting is just way too interesting to have deserved the game around it, in a sense--so while I doubt they would remaster it to such a degree, that would definitely be a selling point if they did. Keep the flags in, too--I love me some collectathons.

That being said, it IS a Ubisoft joint, and... my confidence in them has waned significantly.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, just let it die. I remember when the first 2 assassins creeds came out and it was revitalizing and fresh to see something so different brought to the table. 10 years later and probably 12 or more games later, the formula is dry and stale, the story is hamfisted and cliche', just let it die and maybe we can have found memories of what it used to be again.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: Noooooooooooo. There's kinda too many AC games as is for me to want to go back.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snail: I could swear the first game had air assassinations. I distinctly remember jumping on a guy and killing him only to realize, oh wait, he's surrounded by dudes. This was a stupid plan.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Teddie

I kinda realized I don't like Assassin's Creed games, I just liked the pirate stuff in AC4 (the first one I played). So uh... no, probably not too interested in it.

Also it always bugged me that they put guards on the rooftops in those games. Always seemed counter to the whole climbing/traversal aspect.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but I like remasters in general. Just can't stand Assassin's Creed.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24  Edited By LawGamer

I think I'd really want a remake/reboot as opposed to a remaster.

There's a lot that could be done with the first game if they bothered to redo it. The big one as it relates to the first game is to actually make the assassinations a little bit more engaging. Part of the problem with the first AC is all those stupid pickpocket/eavesdropping missions you needed to do. People knocked them for being repetitive, which was true, but the bigger problem was that they never went anywhere. You didn't unlock additional routes, or learn more about your target's habits, or even get a map of the place you were trying to infiltrate. They were just boxes you needed to check to get to the good stuff.

The consequence of that was that the pickpocketing/eavesdropping missions really were busywork, since there was no reward for doing them. It also meant that every assassination went down the same way, which was pretty much you charging in and getting into a big scrap, which kinda defeated the purpose of being a stealthy assassin.

I just picked up the new Hitman the other day and I think something like that games' opportunity system would be really cool in an Assassin's Creed game. Get the planning back into an assassination.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

No, but I'm not opposed to remasters as a whole, and I think anybody that complains about them in general is being dumb.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Nope! More than half of those games weren't great already (1 is a great proof-of-concept that I doubt holds up to scrutiny, Revelations is an off-year B-team game, and 3 is an overly-ambitious mess that botches most of what it tries, albeit in an interesting way.) and I think putting the good ones out again would really just nail home how Ubisoft has been making open-world stuff from the same cookie-cutter template for the last 7 or so years. I want to pretend that Assassin's Creed II is still an unique and exemplary game instead of the baseline for all of the icon barf and tower climbing that currently plagues the AAA space.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#27 fisk0  Moderator

I'd grab them if they were made available on GOG. Only the first one is available there so far, otherwise I'd pass.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ShaggE

Mmmm... maybe. Then again, I tried so, so hard to get into Black Flag, but it made me realize that AC just isn't for me anymore.

Hell, they made the Victorian AC that I had been begging for since 2 came out... guess what I've still never played and probably won't for quite a while?

As much as I loved AC2, I just don't know if I could ever go back.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snail: I could swear the first game had air assassinations. I distinctly remember jumping on a guy and killing him only to realize, oh wait, he's surrounded by dudes. This was a stupid plan.

Could you air assassinate from the top of rooftops down onto the street though? I'm pretty sure I remember frustration at not being able to do that.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

Not really. I mean for starters, 1 was a proof of concept game that doesn't hold up, 3 is terrible, and Revelations is forgettable. That leaves 2 and Brotherhood. Syndicate is pretty much a modern take on Brotherhood, so if I want that I could just play Syndicate. Granted, there are aspects of Brotherhood that Syndicate didn't include, but it's close enough.

Meanwhile, AC 2 is great for its place in history, but honestly Brotherhood was already a better game when it came out. I can't imagine outside nostalgia going back to AC 2 at this point. And I mean, who cares about the rich overarching storyline of the Assassin's Creed series. I don't need to revisit that.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate Assassin's Creed. So, no.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By Zevvion

No. The games are bad.

gunflame88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By gunflame88

If the graphics quality is very noticeably higher then maybe I'd go back to 2 and Brotherhood. Otherwise it's a firm no. Most remasters seem like a waste of money to me, you're paying again for the same game that looks marginally better. Now if it were a reboot with new mechanics, environments, etc. then I'd be much more interested. Well, until I remember that these are Ubisoft games and I kinda dislike that company at the moment.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RonGalaxy

No. I'm pretty much done with ass creed after they milked it to death. They really need to let that series die and put the resources towards something else.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrcraggle: Yeah. Three is my least favorite, so it's also the one that has most to gain if they did something about... Well just how darn near poor it is. The only thing I really liked about it was the soundtrack, and yet there wasn't much of it.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

My vote goes to "I liked those games, but I have no desire to play a remaster"

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: The best thing about Syndicate is the setting. I wouldn't say I loved it by comparison to some other great settings, but still. I didn't care for the story, and hardly the characters. Honestly, the more self contained historic stories isn't that interesting to me. I like the historical aspects, like the figures, and the places, but not the stories that are told when all it's about is assassin's in a specific time. What is interesting is how the historical and modern times collide. During Syndicate, or even just Unity, I got a huge impression that Ubi was out of ideas. Syndicate does also bring in some new mechanics that make it play better, like finally having the ability to sneak as you crouch. Syndicate is a good improvement over Unity, but Black Flag is still my last favorite AC game.

@themanwithnoplan: I understand the complaint of there being an onslaught of them, but honestly, most of those games are great, and I'm a culprit (if that's what someone wants to call it) in buying into it, because most of them I have gotten. I love playing better versions (if only slightly) of games I love, or games I hadn't played previously. Bioshock is next. There are a bunch that I think I don't care about and don't find necessary, for instance, the Uncharted Collection, but I still got it. I however dislike the route they went with Gears of War Ultimate, and now the Call of Duty 4 remaster. I'd much rather they take the time (and spend the money) to do that same work for all three in a trilogy.

Maluvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those games still look good overall IMO and there are PC editions of everything so personally I don't really feel a need for them but if it came out I might consider it if they REALLY did something special with the visuals. More than anything I wish the series could wrap up the modern day story in a strong way. It's all just dragged on way too long.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recently picked up the first game on Steam for a re-play at some point, and i'll probably play the 2nd one again at some point too, not sure if i have enough time to warrant buying a collection but i'm looking forward to revisiting the start of the franchise. I rate the first game a lot higher than other people, after so many years of hearing conversations about how the first game "wasn't good" or the series "didn't get good until the sequel", i want to play it again to justify my opinion :P.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:
    @theht said:

First game was really great, showed a lot of promise before they introduced a terrible new lead and sort of gamified the entire thing. As a big Hitman fan I was excited for what Assassins Creed could have been, but it quickly became less about methodically stalking and killing your prey and more about brawling and gratuitous murder. I still enjoyed all the games that followed, apart from Ezio who I never liked, but I do wonder about what could have been if the series went more into stealth rather than action as it was originally portrayed.

This is exactly how I feel about the series. I loved the first one, I could see above it's minor flaws and picture an amazing game in the future, but that never came. Personally never cared about Ezio either, but I really like Altair, wouldn't mind to play the first again.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By CheapPoison

Anything with Desmond name on it will be a pass for me! Ditch the present day stuff Ubi! Unless it is some fun tongue in cheek thing like with Assassins creed: Pirates of the high seas. (You know what I mean!)

Beyond that, I wouldn't mind, although I feel there only needs to be one. The second one or brotherhood, the first one has a cool premise, but unless they add to it I don't need to play that again.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

What could remaster bring to the table? Answer: nothing. Based on that, you might as well do something fresh.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd play a cut of the game which has all of the historic assassin parts taken out, and just has the scenes with Desmond in it. I really wanted to see how his story ended, but by 3 I just didn't have the interest to follow new characters in a new setting. Also, AC games are way too long (with about a third the stories being filler) to want to replay them.

God damn that modern day stuff was so cool (and they completely dropped the ball on it).

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Ugh. Yeah, probably.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, just AC 2.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah. I'm good. I'm fine with remasters, I like many of them in fact, but I wouldn't be interested in those games specifically.

Hell, I'm still hoping they'll make Rogue HD, the only "mainline" game in the series I haven't played (I know, it's not happening).

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snail: Well I certainly remember being able to do that. Hell, I remember it being in the marketing.

BrotherBran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've really soured on this series, the combat is too simple, the free running and climbing are automatic and way too clunky in the newer games. I'm really glad they are taking some time off with this series

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brotherbran: "I'm really glad they are taking some time off with this series." Me too.

@strife777: Yeah, totally forgot about that. I had no desire to buy a new last-gen game at that time, and especially not Assassin's Creed when another was on current. I wonder if it's any good... I haven't seen much of it.

@cheappoison: Eh, to me the modern stuff is where it's interesting (in terms of story). I really like Ezio as a character, and I think they did that stuff well; I also liked Edward, but other showings have been pretty dull in terms of character and story for the history aspect.

@maluvin: Honestly, I think they 'finished' the modern day stuff in three, and found something interesting to do with Blag Flag, but otherwise it seems they ran out of ideas. The modern day stuff feels like it's shoved in a few spots simply because it's AC, but they are dealing more with the assassin's in historical times. Yes though, wrapping it up nicely would be good, instead of dragging it out. The vibe I got at the end of three was that something bad was going to happen to humanity, and yet nope, a few more games happen, and nothing really happened.

---

This almost makes me want to quit playing what I'm currently playing (Kingdom Hearts 2), and play Syndicate again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.