Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 13, 2007

Assassin's Creed is a stealth action-adventure game developed by Ubisoft Montreal. In the year 2012, Desmond Miles is kidnapped and made to relive his ancestor's memory through a machine called the Animus. As the ancestor, Altaïr, players unveil an assassin conspiracy set in the middle ages.

AC1 haters, what do you think of Altair ? (read post first)

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I just read klepek's latest article about AC:Revelations, which mentioned the possibility of Altair being back in the mix, and then it hit me.. will the fans of the franchise (80% of which hate the original game in said franchise, ironically) get all pissed about AC3 being AC1-related (which is dumb as fuck, if i may add) or will they understand that though AC1 played bad (i disagree btw), AC1 still is the cornerstone of the franchise, the origin of it all, and that its story and characters aren't supposed to go away ?

what a badass motherfucker. 
    what a badass motherfucker. 

the Brotherhood is all about the roots being in the Holy Land, i hope people understand that AC1 isn't just a random AC game that should be forgotten... 
    so if you hate AC1 yet like the franchise, i'm wondering, do you like or dislike Altair and the fact that he's here to stay? since, you know, he's the bloody godfather of this shindig. it's inevitable

Personally i think AC1 is the best AC game and therefore i hope to god Altair's gonna be more involved in AC3 than AC2. if we get to play as Altair once again (only with AC2 gameplay) in AC3 that would be truly mindblowing.
    EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By EuanDewar

I liked AC1 but Altair is a boring ass character, if they do something to update him so I actually get invested with his personal actions for whatever comes next then of course I have no problem with him.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By onarum

I liked AC1 as well so yeah I would love to see Altair coming back, he was badass, also curious to see what people that hated the first one think about this, I guess their problem was not with the main character but with the gameplay itself.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Yanngc33

He's a badass who stabs guys in the neck and asks questions later

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Dany

I feel that they have nailed the formula of telling a story in AC2 and brotherhood and they can bring him back

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By xyzygy

I like Altair more than Ezio and I like his setting more. Very cool how it's so early in history, very cool how it portrays the beginnings of the Templars. I say bring on more Altair.

Although I do think this might be Ubisoft Montreal getting lazy, instead of creating a new character in a new world.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

I really liked Altair, but I prefered Ezio in almost every way.

ventilaator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By ventilaator

Altair is about as much a "Character" as an eggshell is an omelette.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Slaker117

B.

I didn't much care for his character, though I think the game ended with him being much less of a prick than he was at the start. Therefore I'm ok with more of the matured Altair, and I think he fills an interesting space in the larger fiction. In addition, it seems the team has gotten much better at writing dialogue since the first game, so he'll probably be more bearable in that sense as well.

Also, I wouldn't say I disliked AC1, but I could clearly see its many flaws. Still a neat game, but filled with problems.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Gabriel

Altair is essential Orlando Bloom from Kingdom of Heaven, which is bad.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By MEATBALL

That someone could think the original Assassin's Creed is the best game in the series kind of blows my mind. Not that I'm a hater of that game (although it's really hard to go back and play today), but damn, the games that came after are significantly better.

Altair is a pretty unremarkable character with the personality of a sponge and I'd much rather the series pushed onwards and dealt with a different ancestor, but I'm not going to be upset if they revisit him, I'm sure they'd use some of the lessons learnt to make Altair a much more engaging character anyway.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @EuanDewar said:

" I liked AC1 but Altair is a boring ass character, if they do something to update him so I actually get invested with his personal actions for whatever comes next then of course I have no problem with him. "

Altair was anything but boring.  Sure, he wasn't fucking anything that moved or gobbling Da Vinci's Renaissance Codpiece but he was conflicted and a dick who had an actual character arc with some real depth and revelation.  Ezio was just a rich fratboy who happened to be good at killing while dressing like a drag queen.
    bkbroiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By bkbroiler

I thought AC1 was pretty good, definitely heavily flawed. No problems with Altair though, I think he's fine, purely as a badass assassin and nothing else, though. I think it'd be great to see him back. Personally I'm getting a little tired of Ezio, and I'm sure they could expand on Altair in an interesting way.

I think most people who hate AC1 hate it for more gameplay and design reasons, and not because of Altair. I can't imagine too many people not buying the next Assassin's Creed just because Altair is in it.

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By sameeeeam

I'm not a huge fan of the first game but I think Altair is alright. I wouldn't mind seeing him in another AC game. Maybe this time they'll flesh out his character a little more.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I enjoyed AC1, despite of its repetitive nature. I didn't really like Altair that much, but I didn't dislike him either. I think they'd be room to grow his character and whatnot. 

However, I'd prefer an entirely new setting over more Crusades era exploits. 
    Ktargo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Ktargo

I don't dislike Altair. He just isn't a really memorable character for me aside from his appearance. I wouldn't mind a small trip back to his time period, but I'm not crazy about an entire game based around him again. Assassin's Creed 1 was totally average to me. Loved the concept and the controls/movement felt great, but the combat was underwhelming and it was crazy repetitive. They've learned a lot since AC1 so I suppose another game with Altair could be compelling if done correctly.

I was really hoping AC3 would involve a new setting (Desmond focused being an option) so I'm crossing my fingers this new game ISN'T AC3 but yet another spin-off. I also want to see AC3 before the franchise gets stale after so many annual iterations so I'm a bit conflicted. At least this could potentially have co-op which would be fun.
    FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By FLStyle

The story of Altair's use of the apple in AC2 was interesting, I'd like to play that.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " @EuanDewar said:

" I liked AC1 but Altair is a boring ass character, if they do something to update him so I actually get invested with his personal actions for whatever comes next then of course I have no problem with him. "

Altair was anything but boring.  Sure, he wasn't fucking anything that moved or gobbling Da Vinci's Renaissance Codpiece but he was conflicted and a dick who had an actual character arc with some real depth and revelation.  Ezio was just a rich fratboy who happened to be good at killing while dressing like a drag queen. "
    i'm glad someone understands that 'character' doesnt always have to fucking mean 'someone who went through alot of shit' and that 'story' doesn't always mean 'alot of shit happened' 
    people got so used to requesting MOVING CHARACTERS and GOOD STORY that they no longer appreciate a solid character who, although doesn't have much going on during the game, still has a huge change throughout the game's story.

don't get me wrong, Ezio is fucking amazing, and AC2 is by all means a masterpiece. i liked Ezio so much that when i beat Brotherhood i felt really sad that it's probably the last time i walk in his shoes. however, he was nothing compared to Altair.. that guy had real magnitude. being Altair felt special.
    ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ShaneDev

I liked AC1 and Altair was boring but that whole game was boring the story didn't really go anywhere until the very assassination and fight. I would like to see his character return or at the very least for them to reveal what happened after he looked into the piece of eden in the codex from AC2. I probably wouldn't want him to the main guy in a full game though, the little section were you play as him in AC2 was good enough. 

Just for the series as a whole I hope they wrap up Desmond's story well and soon because I think they are dragging it out a little bit too much. 
    Lelcar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#21  Edited By Lelcar

I liked AC1 as well, and I think it would be interesting to see Altair and Jerusalem updated with what Ubisoft can do with their games now, a la Brotherhood, as opposed to the mediocre gameplay of the first Assassin's Creed. So yeah, I encourage another go around of Altair.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By chilibean_3

I don't care about any of the characters or the story in the franchise.  I just want to murder people in awesome ways.   

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By phrosnite

The characters and world are interesting but the combat system is bull and the controls are designed for sloths.

hexogen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By hexogen

I wasn't the biggest fan of AC1 or Altair, but I think the gameplay and writing improved greatly in AC2 (and again in Brotherhood--to an extent), so the idea of going back to that era and applying what they've learned since is intriguing. It's not the most interesting direction they could have gone in, but I'm fine with giving Altair another shot. After that though, they really need to get on with AC3 or they risk dragging out Desmond's story arc too much.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By Jimbo

I loved AC1.  Altair was a great character, he just wasn't the same old Loveable Rogue you've played as in a hundred other games (which is probably the second most overused video game protagonist character type, after Gruff Space Marine).  He starts off as a cocky, brooding asshole and matures over the course of the game into somebody fit to lead the Assassins (this is shown in his relationship with Malik).  So not only does he have character, but he even has a character arc - in a video game! :-O

That said, I feel like Altair's role in the story has been covered.  I wouldn't mind another cameo, but I don't want to play another whole game as either Altair or Ezio.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By dtat

Altair wasn't really much of a character. He was pretty flat and uninteresting. I'd be on board with them trying to flesh him out more though.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i like the way this community thinks!

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By chrissedoff

i liked the first game okay, but i didn't like altair much.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By probablytuna

I didn't think Assassin's Creed was that bad (it was flawed yes, but I didn't dislike it) and I kinda liked Altair's character. He certainly didn't change as much over the course of the game as Ezio did, but he was pretty alright. Although I'm not sure if I want to see the series go backwards to a previous character. They should either focus on Desmond or an entirely new character in another period. They've set up so many ancestors (six I believe?) from Assassin's Creed II, why not use one of those?

Edit: Even though I picked I want more Altair, I was picking that option mainly because of the first point which is I like the entire franchise.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By Marz

Altair was ok, the voice actor wasn't the greatest in the world.  He did not have an accent like most of the other people in the game which made him seem out of place.

Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Sarkhan
    @xyzygy said:
    "

I like Altair more than Ezio and I like his setting more.

"
    Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

AC was decent, Altair was soulless but better then that fucking playboy Ezio.
    I liked the assassin angle, didn't like the YO LOOK AT ME IM AN ASSASSIN BUT YOU TOTALLY DON'T KNOW THAT angle in Ezio's story all the time.

I rather have a new character.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Ahmad_Metallic said:

" @SeriouslyNow said:

Altair was anything but boring.  Sure, he wasn't fucking anything that moved or gobbling Da Vinci's Renaissance Codpiece but he was conflicted and a dick who had an actual character arc with some real depth and revelation.  Ezio was just a rich fratboy who happened to be good at killing while dressing like a drag queen. "
    i'm glad someone understands that 'character' doesnt always have to fucking mean 'someone who went through alot of shit' and that 'story' doesn't always mean 'alot of shit happened' 
    people got so used to requesting MOVING CHARACTERS and GOOD STORY that they no longer appreciate a solid character who, although doesn't have much going on during the game, still has a huge change throughout the game's story."
     @Jimbo said:

" I loved AC1.  Altair was a great character, he just wasn't the same old Loveable Rogue you've played as in a hundred other games (which is probably the second most overused video game protagonist character type, after Gruff Space Marine).  He starts off as a cocky, brooding asshole and matures over the course of the game into somebody fit to lead the Assassins (this is shown in his relationship with Malik).  So not only does he have character, but he even has a character arc - in a video game! :-O

Pretty much exactly what I wrote in Klepek's new post :)
    AC1 had it's share of problems but Altair was one of the best parts of that game.
    Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

The problems with AC1 were in the game not with Altair.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#35  Edited By MachoFantastico

I actually preferred Altair over Ezio, don't get me wrong Ezio was an interesting character but I never really connected with him as a gamer and didn't really find his time period of great interest. Altair always felt like a proper mysterious assassin and I absolutely loved the setting of the original. Even as much as I loved the original, I can see why people didn't like it so the return of Altair mixed with all the new mechanics of ACII and Brotherhood is a win win in my book. 

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#36  Edited By ESREVER

I liked AC1 and I think Altair is an alright character. However, I don't want to return to the setting of AC1.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Doctorchimp

Personally I'm just fucking tired of people making excuses and rallying behind Assassin's Creed 1....

Like christ some people found it shallow and repetitive, give up the goat and move along. If you liked it fine, don't try and justify why you liked it and make it out to be like there was something wrong with how a person experiences games if they didn't like Assassin's Creed 1.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @Doctorchimp said:
    " Personally I'm just fucking tired of people making excuses and rallying behind Assassin's Creed 1....Like christ some people found it shallow and repetitive, give up the goat and move along. If you liked it fine, don't try and justify why you liked it and make it out to be like there was something wrong with how a person experiences games if they didn't like Assassin's Creed 1. "
    The phrase is "give up the ghost" and nobody here is rallying around AC1 nor is anyone justifying their preferences, some of us just see that Altair is a really interesting character who went through a complex character arc.
    evilrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By evilrazer

Hate the lack of variety of the first Assassin's Creed, but Altair is a decent character and I'd love too see more of him in the new game.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#40  Edited By FancySoapsMan

He was less annoying than Ezio.

popmasterruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By popmasterruler

AC1 is my favorite entry in the franchise and Altaiir is my fav character in the series.Can't wait to see him return.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#42  Edited By xpgamer7

I didn't like how arrogant Altiar was but he seemed cool otherwise. The game though...it had too much repetition even for my taste. I climbed more towers than anything else and it was boring as hell. not to mention nothing to do in between those towers.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By LiquidPrince

I fucking loved Assassin's Creed so bring back the Altair. 

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Brendan

Man, I am going to be really sad when we probably have to play as Ezio entering his twilight years...it's like Benjamin Button all over again :(  Who were we supposed to be talking about again?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.