Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 13, 2007

Assassin's Creed is a stealth action-adventure game developed by Ubisoft Montreal. In the year 2012, Desmond Miles is kidnapped and made to relive his ancestor's memory through a machine called the Animus. As the ancestor, Altaïr, players unveil an assassin conspiracy set in the middle ages.

Does it hold up?

• 64 results
    LibraryDues

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By LibraryDues

I have to say that I preferred the overall city design more in AC1.  Acre, Damascus and Jerusalem felt far more distinct to me than the Italian cities did.  ACII also felt oddly flat, wheras the first had different levels, ramps and steps on the ground as well as on the roofs. 

Beyond those two points ACII (haven't played Brotherhood yet) was far superior, especially in justifying the sci-fi elements, which felt shoehorned in and superfluous in the original.  ACII's Subject 16 puzzles did a great job of keeping a steady flow of the conspiracy theory and sci-fi elements within the Animus plot as well as the Desmond sequences, bringing the two settings together far better.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By trophyhunter

hell no

pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#53  Edited By pekoe212
    @Everyones_A_Critic said:
    " No, not at all, though I'm not sure how it passed for a great game back in 2007, either. The enemy guard AI is so cheap and irritating that if you so much as bump into a civilian you'll be subjected to a mind-numbingly boring, overdrawn, shitty fighting sequence with the fuckers. The repetition would be tolerable if the controls weren't so clunky and Altair didn't consistently lock onto the wrong guy every fucking time you try to trigger a mission. There are also sections you might encounter while trying to scale viewpoints where Altair will straight up stop moving forward, even though there's clearly a usable ledge directly in front of him. I threw my controller over ten times during my first playthrough. It's fucking maddening, and if this shit doesn't get better in II, I'm going to be furious. "
    Haha, you mentioned all the things that are driving me crazy as I play this game. I still am really enjoying it but I'm getting to a point where i want to rush through to the end because I have no patience for the combat anymore. This game sold well because it introduced a new type of gameplay, but it is, as Ryan put it "sketchwork." It doesn't quite feel like a fleshed out game, but I love the story, the whole animus concept, and jumping from roof to roof never ever stops being pure fun.
    lennoxxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By lennoxxx

For me AC1 is much like Mass Effect 1 - A great, unique experience with loads of style... and by the time the second games came out for each I was left a little disappointed with the result. Not because the squeals were bad games, but because they made minor changes to the style and mechanics to appeal to a wider audience. I would highly recommend playing the first Assassin's Creed, but only because I have the bias of playing it at launch.

joshrholloway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#55  Edited By joshrholloway

I picked up AC a few weeks ago to get caught up with the series because I've heard great things about AC:B. I just finished it today. 

I remember at the time it came out, it had good reviews, and after my experience with it, I'm a little shocked that it did. I think the actual gameplay mechanics were pretty solid, and it was definitely a unique game at the time, but the repetition really kills it. The game has about an hour of good gameplay. Unfortunately that same hour is repeated at least nine times, to the point that it's a chore. 

However, after I beat the first game today, I started playing AC2 right away, and I can already tell it's a vastly improved game. Seems like they took all the great parts of AC and got rid of all the bad stuff. And on top of that they threw in a slew of new things to do. I'm already having a blast with AC2, and with people saying that AC:B is even better... I can't wait!

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#56  Edited By Video_Game_King

It was a cool game that could use some polishing. Then Assassin's Creed II heard my wishes and granted them upon its own birth.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#57  Edited By Hizang

I recently bought this game again. It was my first PS3 game but traded it in due to money issues. I'm really enjoying it, it still graphically looks amazing, I'm surprised it came out 5 years ago.

MrMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By MrMuscle

I just played thru it again as a warm up for AC3 (im replaying as many of the AC games i can before it releases). I gotta say i really enjoy the story of the game a whole lot. But i remember loving it when it first came out as well. The gameplay has a bit to be desired though, by the end i moaned every time i had to fight. It just got so repetitive and bland. The parkour controls didnt feel particularly good either. But i had a good time and went straight on to AC2.

Avatar image for deactivated-5945386c8a570
    deactivated-5945386c8a570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Didnt hold it up for me the first time.

kgb0515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#61  Edited By kgb0515

My downstairs neigbor actually gave me a copy of AC for PC the other day, and I didn't want to be rude, so I accepted it even though I had played it on PS3 several years ago. It has since been relegated to permanent bottom of my desk drawer status. It wasn't a bad game in its time, but the more recent AC games are so much better and don't suffer from as much repetition of menial tasks. It's not a game that I would revisit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

No.

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By vitor

So, uh, any reason we're all responding to a thread over a year old where the guy has already got the game again?

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#64  Edited By Hizang

Go play it soon yes?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.