Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Assassin's Creed

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 13, 2007

Assassin's Creed is a stealth action-adventure game developed by Ubisoft Montreal. In the year 2012, Desmond Miles is kidnapped and made to relive his ancestor's memory through a machine called the Animus. As the ancestor, Altaïr, players unveil an assassin conspiracy set in the middle ages.

Play the original or skip to II?

admanb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By admanb

Pretty much in the title. Is it worth putting the time into the original, or should I read the plot overview on wikipedia?

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Barrock

Without a doubt skip to II. I don't even think you need to read a wiki.

McDevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By McDevy

The sequel has all of the gameplay elements and more from what made the original interesting so I think you can skip it. You can totally wiki the story beats, but I'm pretty sure each Assassin's game gives a "story so far" -- intro anyway. The first game can be arduous, on a mechanical level, the gameplay isn't as refined as the future games; still fun though.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Watch it on youtube or read a wiki.  I like 1 but not a lot of people seem to like it anymore.

CarpetRemnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By CarpetRemnant

Skip.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skip

Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Vinny_Says

If you can get it on the cheap at least give it a try, you might like it, I did. 

But if at any point you can't stand to finish it just sell it back and go right to AC2.

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By matthew

Idunno. If you're patient and have some time to kill, I'd suggest playing through the original...

Be warned though - it is tedious and repetitive, but I personally really dig how you get to get a feel for how it all started in number one, before jumping to the sequels.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By craigbo180
    @admanb: Without a doubt I would say play number 1. I enjoyed it and it has some memorable moments, it gets a little boring sometimes when you are working towards the assassinations and doing the Desmond sections, but the assassinations themselves are really good. Though not massively necessary knowing the story of number 1 will improve your experience of the second game and it will also help you to familiarise yourself with Desmond and the basic concepts of the franchise.
    Aishan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Aishan

The original is not bad, just repetitive. If you only went for the main assassinations, with the bare-minimum of investigations it's a decent enough game. 

There's some decent backstory stuff you'll miss out if you skip it entirely; the modern-day stuff especially has some nice tidbits hidden away if you seek them out between Animus sessions.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Skytylz

I think the first game gets way more flack than it deserves, the second game and it aren't as different as people make them out to be.  I'm kinda done with the series as a whole though as the gameplay is starting to get stale to me, so I might recommend skipping ahead so you can experience the better ones before you get burnt out if you do.  Consecutive years is killing this franchise for me.  

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Twitchey

I really don't know where all the criticism for Assassin's Creed is coming from. I thought it was an amazing game. The only downside are the repetitive side missions. The combat isn't like II or Brotherhood and there is no currency system. It feels more original to the idea. The story sets up Desmond's more than Altair's.

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#13  Edited By Chris2KLee

It was hair pulling to get through the first game for me, but I felt the story was good enough to force me to see it through. That said, if you don't have a lot of time to spend, I'd recommend reading a quick summary of the first game and moving on. Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood are vastly more fun games to play.

Mike76x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mike76x

I still think it's a great game, but advancements made in the later games will make it harder to enjoy if you ever go backward.
    It's cheap as hell by now, no reason not to try it.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By IBurningStar

The first AC isn't a terrible game, it just lets you down more often than not. I've seen brand new copies of the game for ten bucks, so I would buy it for that kind of a deal. If you can do that then I suggest giving it a try. If you just aren't enjoying yourself then there is no shame in putting it down and reading a wiki. Just remember that AC II is superior in pretty much every way and don't let any bad experiences with AC I turn you off of the whole series, because II and Brotherhood are really good and worth your time. 

If you can find it cheap, get the first one and try it. If not, read a wiki.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @admanb:  it depends. Do you wanna enjoy the story of the franchise and know what's going on and know who Altair is (they won't stop talking about him in AC2 and it's semi-sequels) Or do you just wanna have fun ? 

If you skip Assassin's Creed, you skip the basis and the very foundation of the franchise. It's not like it's outdated or horrible, it had a couple of flaws but it's a very stellar current-gen experience, with arguably one of the greatest atmospheres ever, and a real badass protagonist

@Barrock said:

AC2, ACB and ACR are all related to AC1. ACR is even ABOUT going after the protagonist of AC1 and finding his remains/something along those lines.. 

are you high or just trolling here?
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By AndrewB

I also insist that the first game isn't terrible. It would, however, be inferior to 2, while not offering you a whole lot of story that you couldn't get from a wiki somewhere online. I feel burned out on the premise enough just playing through 2 alone... I don't know how I'd make it through playing both back to back. Already wondering if Brotherhood is going to be possible for me to trudge through.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By Pibo47

Youtube the cut scenes. Then play 2.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Barrock

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@admanb: it depends. Do you wanna enjoy the story of the franchise and know what's going on and know who Altair is (they won't stop talking about him in AC2 and it's semi-sequels) Or do you just wanna have fun ?

If you skip Assassin's Creed, you skip the basis and the very foundation of the franchise. It's not like it's outdated or horrible, it had a couple of flaws but it's a very stellar current-gen experience, with arguably one of the greatest atmospheres ever, and a real badass protagonist

@Barrock said:

AC2, ACB and ACR are all related to AC1. ACR is even ABOUT going after the protagonist of AC1 and finding his remains/something along those lines.. are you high or just trolling here?

Not high or trolling. I didn't enjoy Assassin's Creed 1. And it looks like I'm not the only one.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Barrock said:

I almost never recommend this. You should play the first and just play the bare minimum of missions. Play the core story.

Tuggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Tuggah

Do all you need to do to get the story missions. The whole process of finding out info, then deciding on the best way to assassinate a dude was a ton of fun for me. That is the one thing I miss about Assassin's Creed, it is the strongholds that you have to sneak into to kill a honky. And I played Assassin's Creed 1 last year.

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By vidiot

Good question. There's a part of me that want's to recommend that you should play the first game.

Why?
    Because it's not a good game. The story is convoluted, without context, and has little to no resolution. The game mechanics are functional, but the design is hindered with repetition and it's poorly thought-out. It's also not really engaging at all. 
    If you were to ask a lot of people when that game came out, that it would be considered a pretty big franchise in the near future, I think a lot of people would kinda scoff and shake their heads.

One of the main reasons what makes the second game fantastic, is how it goes after pretty much all the problems the original game had like a surgeon cleaning up after himself. The core game design is entirely redone, even the story is elevated in a manner that's almost alien in comparison to the previous game. 
    There are so many times when a developer just ignores criticism altogether, or just muddles around the issues the previous game had. The developers of Assassins Creed took that bold extra mile with it's sequel, and I feel like you might actually miss-out that level of appreciation that the second game accomplishes, if you skip the first entry.  

Edit: Yikes, first sentence initiated paragraph of thoughts regarding the first game, but stated that I was about to talk about the second game. o_O

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

All the relevant story bits in I are at the very end. By that time however, I was completely sick of the game. That's why I stopped playing at the 70% completion mark and instead watched the ending on YouTube. 

ACII on the other hand is one of the best games I have ever played. 

SKIP

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Barrock said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Barrock said:

AC2, ACB and ACR are all related to AC1. ACR is even ABOUT going after the protagonist of AC1 and finding his remains/something along those lines.. are you high or just trolling here?

Not high or trolling. I didn't enjoy Assassin's Creed 1. And it looks like I'm not the only one.

Whether you enjoyed it or not is irrelevant. You're misleading this person and making him think that AC1 is an abomination that isn't related to the sequel in any way, even though you KNOW that a big part of AC2 is related to Altair, and that the upcoming AC:R will be all about Ezio's connection with Altair 

yet you tell this guy to not even read the game's wiki?  way to go, trying to ruin his experience and understanding of the story.
    Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Barrock

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Barrock said:

@Ahmad_Metallic said:

@Barrock said:

Whether you enjoyed it or not is irrelevant. You're misleading this person and making him think that AC1 is an abomination that isn't related to the sequel in any way, even though you KNOW that a big part of AC2 is related to Altair, and that the upcoming AC:R will be all about Ezio's connection with Altair yet you tell this guy to not even read the game's wiki? way to go, trying to ruin his experience and understanding of the story.

I played around 30% of AC I. Maybe not even that much. Yet I S Ranked and completely understood both 2 and Brotherhood. I'm just offering up my point of view.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By laserbolts
    I loved the original even though it seems to get quite a bit of hate. It was repetitive but I loved every minute of it. The second one is a much better experience though so you could probably just go straight to that one.
    Avatar image for starfishhunter9
    Starfishhunter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Starfishhunter9
    @LiquidPrince said:

@Barrock said:

I almost never recommend this. You should play the first and just play the bare minimum of missions. Play the core story.

This. The story is good even if the gameplay is repetitive. Also the bosses are decently fun.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By EvilTwin

I feel like people who haven't played Assassin's Creed don't really understand what other people mean when they say it's repetitive.  

Have you ever played an open world game with really boring cookie cutter side missions that you can only do once before you hate them?  That's all Assassin's Creed is.  And nothing about the game is redeeming enough to offset that.

The only thing that got worse from 1 to 2 is jumping into piles of hay.  Don't ask me how they screwed that up.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Jeust
    @Skytylz said:

I think the first game gets way more flack than it deserves, the second game and it aren't as different as people make them out to be.  I'm kinda done with the series as a whole though as the gameplay is starting to get stale to me, so I might recommend skipping ahead so you can experience the better ones before you get burnt out if you do.  Consecutive years is killing this franchise for me.  

I agree with this. Although I hold the best memories from the first Assassin's Creed. It isn't a very different game from the second one, and I bet neither from the third game, which kind of makes the franchise feel stale. Still from my point of view it is awesome, and a great way to visit the crusades period and the middle eastern. :p 
    gbpackers94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By gbpackers94

Skip.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I liked it at the time but by today's standards it would be pretty bad. You should read the wiki for the story and skip to Assassins Creed II.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#32  Edited By Zippedbinders

The Desmond bits are really the only parts worth knowing about the first game, I'd suggest youtubing those and jump right into AC2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.