Something went wrong. Try again later

Assassin's Creed

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released Nov 13, 2007

Assassin's Creed is a stealth action-adventure game developed by Ubisoft Montreal. In the year 2012, Desmond Miles is kidnapped and made to relive his ancestor's memory through a machine called the Animus. As the ancestor, Altaïr, players unveil an assassin conspiracy set in the middle ages.

rowr's Assassin's Creed (Limited Edition) (Xbox 360) review

Avatar image for rowr
    • rowr wrote this review on .
    • rowr has written a total of 2 reviews. The last one was for Devil May Cry 4
    • This review received 1 comments

Love or Hate?

written feb 25, 2008.

It seems to be one of those love or hate games. I personally thought i would hate it after reading the reviews, and it turned out to be one of my recent favourite games.

I think a part of the problem was the hype surrounding it until release, the fact that some people will outright hate that your playing in a simulator instead of real life (its not a spoiler if its the first thing in the game you learn), and the opinion that the gameplay is repetitive.

But something only becomes repetetive once you get sick of doing it.

I made it through the game before i had, had enough - and before I had totally mastered the combat, the climbing and jumping from roof tops was enjoyable to the end.

I really think if you try and play this game hurriedly (like most reviewers), your going to get sick of it fast. Its definitely a game where you take your time, read the bits of info you collect to prepare for the assassination, and then do it. The assassinations mix it up plenty to make it fun and intriguing, and if you challenge yourself (achievements - Full Health for each kill etc) you can get past the fact the game is to easy and focus on being totally badass. Which is one of the things that makes this game awesome at times, there are moments when you will feel like a total badass.

There have been a few complaints out there that this is not a true, stealth game. Well its not really. I guess by saying its not true stealth is just basically saying it can be a little to easy. At first i spent alot of time being inconspicuous, blending into crowds of monks, gently pushing past people, avoiding guards like the plague. Which was all well and good and added much to the games atmosphere, as it was more exciting feeling the guards eyes on me and when i did actually piss off the guards having to haul ass in exhilirating chase. This was conclusive to those feelings of being badass.

Unfortunately these were limits i was putting on myself with the use of imagination. As i progressed i found it was actually terribly easy to evade the guards, and even if they did catch me, they didnt stand much chance against my blade. The last third of the game i spent running non stop everywhere. Which was still ok, because its still slightly fun to be chased, and i enjoyed the process of mastering the combat, i was still having fun. I was still enjoying the gameplay mechanics, even though i'd unfortunately lost the atmosphere. Im assuming for many people once they get past that initial atmosphere, perhaps the gameplay just isnt appealing to them.

The combat has apparently been much lifted from a previous prince of persia game (i havent played). I found it to be a pretty good system, aside from just randomly hacking and slashing (which you can do) the game rewards effective use of countering. You unlock moves as you go which brings depth as you progress, adding grab counters etc.

The story was also far more intriguing than i thought it would be and kept me eager to see where the hell it was going, (aside from an obvious plot twist). It can sometimes be a little confused in its attempt to be thought provoking, but its there. The greater story (outside the simulator) is, uniqe and Intriguing, Im onboard for the sequel so i can get some questions answered. Its like Lost.

As far as it not being revolutionary, thats a pure falsity. Graphically Its pretty tight and polished. Although the Animation and the acrobatics are what really stand out. I cant obviously relate the game to anything else, its not GTA (not every game needs to be GTA btw), It has some similar elements as crackdown, but really they are very different games.

I was content with the ending, although certainly wouldnt have been had i not known to wait through the credits, after which the game lets you snoop around a bit scavenging tidbits to try and peice together some back/future story. Well it's sucked me in.

Now to sit and wait for the sequel.