Assist Trophies are items that can be used in the fighting game series Super Smash Bros., first appearing in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Similar to Poké Balls, Assist Trophies when picked up and activated will summon a random character into battle. Unlike Poké Balls, the summoned character is not a Pokémon and instead is a character from other Nintendo franchises, like Little Mac from Punch-Out!!, or a Hammer Brother from Super Mario Bros.
Several characters, like Little Mac, Isabelle from Animal Crossing, and Dark Samus from the Metroid Prime series first appeared as Assist Trophies before being promoted to playable characters in future games.
Introduced in Super Smash Bros. Brawl
The Assist Trophies available at the start are as follows:
- Andross: Andross appears in the back ground of the arena and shoots powerful polygons at the players.
- Devil: the whole stage is moved by Devil.
- Dr. Wright: Doctor Wright summons a building to rise up out of the ground which can carry opponents out of the arena.
- Excitebikes: Riders ride around the stage hitting players.
- Metroid: A Metroid latches onto players and attacks them thus gives them damage.
- Mr. Resetti: Resetti begins talking about different subjects and if attacked, he causes an explosion.
- Nintendog: A massive dog blocks the screen and the players sight .
- Samurai Goroh: Goroh slashes his swords thus giving damage to the players while chasing opponents.
- Saki Amamiya: Saki slashes and fires with his Cannon Sword.
- Starfy: Starfy spins around the arena hurting players.
- Waluigi: Waluigi repeatedly stomps players into the ground using either his stomp attack or his tennis racket.
- Hammer Bro: The Hammer Brother throws hammers hurting any players who get hit.
- Helirin: Helirin floats around the arena and acts like a wall allowing players to smash players onto her.
- Jill: She attacks opponents with her power drill.
- Kat & Ana: Kat and Ana fly in different directions slashing at anybody in front of them.
- Knuckle Joe: Knuckle Joe delivers a series of jabs to his opponents and finishes with either an uppercut attack or a power punch.
- Lakitu & Spinies: Lakitu drops Spinies onto the field where he walks around hurting whoever he touches.
- Little Mac: Little Mac runs around madly punching players.
- Lyn: Lyn delivers a single, powerful strike usually focused on one player.
- Jeff Andonuts: Jeff shoots homing rockets at his opponents.
Unlockable Assist Trophies
Assist trophies that must be unlocked are as follows:
- Barbara: Barbara strums on her guitar creating soundwaves. this assit trophy can only be unlocked after you obtain 25 Songs
- Ray MK III: Ray flies up onto the stage and shoots his laser gun and missiles at the opposing characters. Unlocked by playing 100 Brawls
- Gray Fox: Grey fox runs around slashing opponents. Also reflects stray projectiles. This assist trophy can only be Unlocked by unlocking Snake
- Isaac: He pushes opponents off the stage by using a skill called Move. This assist trophy can only unlocked by playing 200 Brawls
- Shadow the Hedgehog: Shadow slows down time with Chaos Control. The summoner continues to move at normal speed. This assist trophy can only be Unlocked by unlocking Sonic
- Infantry & Tanks: Tanks and soldiers roam across the stage shooting at players.This assist trophy can only Unlocked by playing 300 Brawls
- Ashley: She casts a magic cloud that gives status effects to those inside it.
- Chain Chomp: A Chain Chomp hops around biting at the fighters.
- Color TV-Game 15: Two paddles bounce a ball between each other which will hurt any fighter it hits.
- Dark Samus: Dark Samus shoots energy blasts and homing Phazon balls.
- Dillon: He curls into a ball and rolls into opponents.
- Dr. Kawashima: Summons numbers that move across the screen. Numbers that add to more than 10 create an explosion, with an even bigger explosion occurring if the number is exactly 10.
- Elec Man: He fires the Elec Beam to hurt opponents.
- Ghirahim: Ghirahim teleports and attacks with his sword and throwing knives.
- Ghosts: The four ghosts from Pac-Man travel around the stage, hurting anyone they bump into.
- Isabelle: She throws healing fruit onto the battlefield towards the player who summoned her.
- Magnus: Magnus fights using his giant club.
- Midna: She teleports, grabbing and throwing opponents with her hair.
- Mother Brain: Uses her laser attack from Super Metroid while Rinkas orbit around her.
- Nightmare: Turns the screen pitch black so that no one can see what they're doing.
- Phosphora: Uses electric attacks and quickly flies around.
- Riki: Riki casts various buffs onto the person who summoned him.
- Sablé Prince: He transforms into a frog or snake and traps a fighter in a dust cloud, doing damage to them.
- Sheriff: He shoots bullets around the stage while walking in the air.
- Skull Kid: He pranks players by inflicting several status effects on them.
- Starman: Starman teleports horizontally and casts PSI attacks at opponents.
- Takamaru: He uses his sword and pinwheel knives to damage opponents.
- Akira: Uses fighting moves to hurt opponents.
- Alucard: Alucard uses several techniques from Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, like transforming into mist, backdashing, and his Chrissaegrim weapon.
- Arcade Bunny: He summons a claw that attempts to pull players offscreen.
- Black Knight: Slowly attacks players with his powerful sword.
- Bomberman: He lays bombs that make a cross-shaped explosion.
- Burrowing Snagret: Digs to the surface and pecks opponents.
- Chef Kawasaki: He throws players into his cooking pot and produces items.
- Flies & Hand: The hand uses a flyswatter to hurt players.
- Guile: Guile performs flash kicks and sonic booms to anyone who gets too close.
- Kapp'n: Kapp'n traps players in his bus and drives them offscreen.
- Klaptrap: Latches onto opponents, doing repeated damage.
- Knuckles: Knuckles uses a digging uppercut and homing attack.
- Krystal: Uses her magic staff to freeze opponents.
- Moon: Plummets into the stage like it did in The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
- Nikki: She makes drawings which come to life and can hurt enemies.
- Rathalos: It breathes fire, flies and attacks opponents.
- Rodin: Rodin uses giant arms to attack and produces a random item before leaving.
- Shovel Knight: He bounces on opponents with his shovel and can dig up items from the ground.
- Spring Man: He attacks with his elongated arms, even performing a special move.
- Squid Sisters: Callie and Marie perform a song that makes the camera zoom in on them.
- Sukapon: Grabs and throws opponents or shoots projectiles at them.
- Tiki: She transforms into a dragon and uses fire attacks.
- Thwomp: Thwomp does what it does best and crushes fighters underneath it.
- Vince: Vince paints images that obscure players' movements and follow them around.
- Wily Capsule: Shoots projectiles at opponents. If defeated, Wily falls down and pleads for forgiveness.
- Yuri Kozukata: Takes pictures of fighters, stunning and poisoning them.
- Zero: He attacks opponents with his Z-Saber.